IGNORED

Where do you keep essentials when riding with no panniers?

Sean

Just got my newfangled GSA home yesterday and love it!  However, where do you put just minimal/essential stuff like the owner's manual, vehicle registration, and tire repair kit?

I got a good chuckle when I read IN the owner's manual that the tiny gap under the pillion seat is intended to stow the very manual I was reading.  So after a good laugh I took my owner's manual, warranty booklet, and registration, neatly sealed in a sandwich bag, went out to the garage, and attempted to slide them into the intended spot. Nope! Not even close to fitting.  So I took the warranty book out, tried again and still no luck.  Took everything out of the baggie and nope, still doesn't fit, even with my registration folded twice and inserted in the manual.  Only when I removed the single page registration and with much finesse was I able to coax the manual into its intended spot!  Phew! Sorry for the short story long, but it was just too comical not to tell.

So coming from my old RT where I had gobs and bogs of storage in the tail section and the front-left locking storage box (unless you had the radio in there, which I did not), I'm baffled where to even carry these basic items.  I downloaded the PDF copy of the manual to my phone (pain to read on but works in a pinch I guess), but that still leaves the registration and tire repair kit, when riding without panniers.  I could put it in a pocket on my riding suit I guess but that's kinda a pain.  What do you all do in this case?  

Oh, and the supplied "tool kit" on these new bikes is pathetic! (but these bikes don't break anymore, or if they do, you're supposed to call roadside assistance so who needs tools lol!)

Could get yourself one of these. I believe there are different options out there, some maybe cheaper but this brand seems quality made to me.

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Could get yourself one of these. I believe there are different options out there, some maybe cheaper but this brand seems quality made to me.

Aha! Great idea, thanks Pat!

• Like 1
szurszewski

I have one of those tool boxes for tools,

a tiny tank bag for extra gloves and small stuff like flashlight, note pad

and a water bottle. My anonymous book and reg do fit under the seat on my cam head though. (Don’t carry a paper manual - do have one on my phone.)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Have one of these, carry tire repair kit and registration and insurance.

I also almost always have my trunk installed. Need to carry stuff for work. My bikes are primarily used for commuting.

16 hours ago, Sean said:

Just got my newfangled GSA home yesterday and love it!  However, where do you put just minimal/essential stuff like the owner's manual, vehicle registration, and tire repair kit?

I got a good chuckle when I read IN the owner's manual that the tiny gap under the pillion seat is intended to stow the very manual I was reading.  So after a good laugh I took my owner's manual, warranty booklet, and registration, neatly sealed in a sandwich bag, went out to the garage, and attempted to slide them into the intended spot. Nope! Not even close to fitting.  So I took the warranty book out, tried again and still no luck.  Took everything out of the baggie and nope, still doesn't fit, even with my registration folded twice and inserted in the manual.  Only when I removed the single page registration and with much finesse was I able to coax the manual into its intended spot!  Phew! Sorry for the short story long, but it was just too comical not to tell.

So coming from my old RT where I had gobs and bogs of storage in the tail section and the front-left locking storage box (unless you had the radio in there, which I did not), I'm baffled where to even carry these basic items.  I downloaded the PDF copy of the manual to my phone (pain to read on but works in a pinch I guess), but that still leaves the registration and tire repair kit, when riding without panniers.  I could put it in a pocket on my riding suit I guess but that's kinda a pain.  What do you all do in this case?  

Oh, and the supplied "tool kit" on these new bikes is pathetic! (but these bikes don't break anymore, or if they do, you're supposed to call roadside assistance so who needs tools lol!)

Afternoon Sean

As a rule I ride with panniers but on the times that I don't I use a nice neat little tail bag (or a larger tail bag if intend to buy something).

On your rider manual__ you can go on-line then download your riders manual to your cell phone. Not sure you would ever need your warranty booklet. Vehicle registration usually goes into my wallet, or as of as of late, I also have them copied to my cell phone.

Tire repair kit can probably be disassembled, put in zip-close plastic baggies then zip tied under seat somewhere.   (or in that neat little tail bag you should probably get)

I usually also ride with a tank bag as those are handy as he!! as commonly needed stuff is available right in front of you even as you ride along.  

• Like 1

If you're looking at tank bags, GIVI makes a variety of them, very well designed and made with a very good mounting system that saves the finish on your tank.  Givi makes a plastic mount ring that attaches to the gas cap mounting screws on most bikes and the bag doesn't touch the paint.  It's a low profile that doesn't interfere with the gas cap or refueling.  Remounting the bag after fueling is quick and easy, too.

Cortech has a mounting system but is not easy to remount the bag after fueling.

An option with more capacity might be a strap-on tank bag mounted on the pillion like a bumstop.  

szurszewski
2 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

GIVI makes a variety of them, very well designed and made with a very good mounting system that saves the finish on your tank. 

This is what I’ve been using - works well as long as you don’t set the tank bag on the gas pump and then ride off (haven’t yet, but I won’t be surprised when it happens). There are a variety of Givi bags or you can add the bag half of the system to any stiff bottomed bag. 

The fuel filler on my GS is very forward whereas on my 1100S it’s very far back - only the smallest givi bag will work on BOTH bikes, so that’s what I usually use. I do have larger bags for both bikes but rarely use them. 

Thanks for all your help guys!  I do have the BMW GS tank bag which I guess I could use too, but I might also get that BUMOT box too. That think looks really slick!  I guess I could also load stuff into all the pockets I have on my roadcrafter suit.  It has a silly number of big pockets.

Thanks again!

You know, the more I think about it, the more the BUMOT box makes sense.  I don't want to worry, as I change the bike's pannier and tank back configuration for a ride, trying to remember to make sure I have those essentials onboard.  With this box, I won't have to think about that, and I can know that they are always on the bike.

szurszewski
1 hour ago, Sean said:

With this box, I won't have to think about that, and I can know that they are always on the bike.

This is my favorite thing about the box is exactly that - the tools are there and I don’t have to worry. (On my other bike I’m lucky enough that there is a good factory tool set under the seat.) 

• 3 weeks later...