IGNORED

Need Help with ABS Problem Diagnosis

1fastjunebug

1fastjunebug

Have a 2000 R1100RT, was out for a ride last weekend and the ABS lights started flashing. Pulled over and tried to reset but no worky.

Got home and plugged the BMW gel cell battery (6 months old) into the BMW charger and it took from 12:30pm still sometime the next morning to go green only. Cleaned all battery connections and problem pursisted. Have read about low batteries causing this problem so brought it back to the dealer and they replaced it with a new one.

Plugged this in and no worky. Pulled the ABS sensors, cleaned same (made sure shims were in place) and same problem. Checked all the fuses and all were fine. Went to the BMW shop today and bought a new ABS relay, installed same and the problem still persists - the ABS will not check, give that audible "clunk" upon take off and the ABS light are still flasing - top then bottom, top then bottom and no ABS "clunk" upon take off.

Also checked the sensor clearances as prescribed in 2 different manuals with a feeler gage and they are right at 45.

What have I missed? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Any secrets? Have read that sometimes this system, after changing the battery, will not self cancel the fault and it needs to go to the dealer. Not looking forword to that prospect so if anybody has any ideas please feel free to chime in.

I've just had a fault on my 2004, It turned out to be the brake light switch sticking. Therefore the ABS wouldn't set.

I've just had a fault on my 2004, It turned out to be the brake light switch sticking. Therefore the ABS wouldn't set.

That has almost nothing to do with ABS-II brakes. frown.gif

Is the ABS fault persistant(is it there as soon as you turn the ignition on)?

Mick

1fastjunebug
Here's a link

that may be helpful. It includes a link to instructions for diagnosing ABS faults.

Great Stuff. Mucho Gracious, save me loads of time energy and dinero.

Followed the steps for reset and "clunk" - just like it supposed to on take off.

I wonder though, did I solve the problem or just hid the symptom? I guess if I didn't solve the problem it will come back to visit soon enough, so time will tell.

In any event, thanks loads for the information and help.

Archived