IGNORED

Battery Charger Plug - what type is this?

BF204

Hi All,

The bike my daughter bought late last summer has a pigtail that the P.O. attached to the battery to connect a battery tender/charger of some type.  Anyone know what type of plug this is?  Or maybe it's not a standard type and is what comes in the kit for some particular charger? It has 2 male pins that look approximately the size of mini banana (?). I've done some googling, but haven't seen anything like this. To get a charger connected ASAP, I made up some heavier duty alligator leads to connect a charger on it, but that is cheesier than nachos. If I can't find the appropriate female plug, I'll ditch it and put an SAE pigtail on.... that seems (?) to be the 'usual' way to connect a battery tender/charger.

Thx in advance...

battery pigtail pict1.jpg

battery pigtail pict2.jpg

50 minutes ago, BF204 said:

Hi All,

The bike my daughter bought late last summer has a pigtail that the P.O. attached to the battery to connect a battery tender/charger of some type.  Anyone know what type of plug this is?  Or maybe it's not a standard type and is what comes in the kit for some particular charger? It has 2 male pins that look approximately the size of mini banana (?). I've done some googling, but haven't seen anything like this. To get a charger connected ASAP, I made up some heavier duty alligator leads to connect a charger on it, but that is cheesier than nachos. If I can't find the appropriate female plug, I'll ditch it and put an SAE pigtail on.... that seems (?) to be the 'usual' way to connect a battery tender/charger.

Thx in advance...

Afternoon  BF204

That is the plug that comes with a Ctek battery charger. 

You can buy the battery side from Ctek (but you already have that), it's the charger side that is difficult to find as I haven't ever found that as a standalone.  

That's a good sign, if the previous owner used a Ctek battery charger, that is an upscale charger & shows the owner had good battery care sense.   

Ctek.jpg

Ctec plug.png

Excellent. Thanks both for the info. I'll look into the CTEK chargers... I wanted to get a charger/battery tender that is a better solution than my auto charger for the bikes. Perhaps one of the CTEK's and putting the same pigtail on my R bike wouldn't be the worst way to go. Yes, the PO of my daughter's bike had a few fancy toys (bikes and trikes) in his garage so he likely rotated a CTEK between them. Her battery (a classic lead/acid type) seems wimpy, so maybe due for a change also. Not sure if it's original or not (2014 bike).  Thanks again.

8 minutes ago, BF204 said:

Excellent. Thanks both for the info. I'll look into the CTEK chargers... I wanted to get a charger/battery tender that is a better solution than my auto charger for the bikes. Perhaps one of the CTEK's and putting the same pigtail on my R bike wouldn't be the worst way to go. Yes, the PO of my daughter's bike had a few fancy toys (bikes and trikes) in his garage so he likely rotated a CTEK between them. Her battery (a classic lead/acid type) seems wimpy, so maybe due for a change also. Not sure if it's original or not (2014 bike).  Thanks again.

Afternoon   BF204

You might start your Ctek shopping on Amazon, they usually have a good selection of Ctek chargers at a fairly decent price. 

Depending on the batteries that you want to charge there is more than likely a Ctek that will cover them all (including your automobiles). The Ctek is temperature compensated & most have a snowflake setting for charging outlier AGM battrey's,  or charging in very cold weather.

Ctec are not the cheapest chargers but they do a great job & you get a lot for the money spent. 

You can get the CTEK pigtail connector that goes to SAE quick connector, which was already wired in on the RT when I purchased it new.   I use it to connect to the R12C, which is the main purpose for having the CTEK charger for my PC680 battery.   I rarely use it on the RT, but with the pigtail, I can hook it to whatever bike sits while I ride the other; I rotate them weekly, or so.

image.png.39bb52c89c9b9c9252358bfbaf661bb2.png

3 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

You can get the CTEK pigtail connector that goes to SAE quick connector, which was already wired in on the RT when I purchased it new.   I use it to connect to the R12C, which is the main purpose for having the CTEK charger for my PC680 battery.   I rarely use it on the RT, but with the pigtail, I can hook it to whatever bike sits while I ride the other; I rotate them weekly, or so.

image.png.39bb52c89c9b9c9252358bfbaf661bb2.png

Afternoon William

That probably won't gain him anything as that is still the battery side (he already has the battery side) he needs the charger side.

Oh, thanks for info.  I mis-read his post and just now recall you using those exact words.  

I now remembered never hooking that CTEK cord on the battery side as I already something (SAE) in place.

Makes sense to me now. 

:dopeslap:

I've got a CTEK on the way. Yes, it looks to be a quality item, with very good modes for caring for a variety of battery types. Thanks again for pointing me that way. We'll see if it perks up that battery.   I'm also curious to try the CTEK on the other assorted seasonal batteries (e.g. boat batteries etc) that I end up laying up for their off seasons. It's much better tech than what I had been using. Cheers & thanks again...