IGNORED

Topcase luggage rack

Ron-M

I found this topcase luggage rack from a company named RS Motorcycle Solutions out of Germany.  No holes drilled into the topcase in order to install the rack.  Appears to be a quality product.  Anyone have any experience with this rack?

Seems like a good company.  Sent them a question via email and they responded very quickly.  

https://www.rs-motorcyclesolutions.de/en/bmw/r-series/r1250-rt/luggage-1775/luggage-racks-1777/

I might get this luggage rack in a couple of months for a trip that I might be taking. Will keep you updated when and if I purchase it.  

I actually bought one of those last year from a company in Florida called European toy store it was easy to fit and work well they also sell a soft case that attaches to the top of it through system of belts that Loop through the frame itself. I forgot what I paid for it sorry to say but I think it was around hundred and sixty bucks

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey @Ron-M,

I am sure that you read one of the reviews on that web site and that rack seems like a great idea.   I was also considering something along those lines due to extra room needed when Laura and I travel together.  :whistle:

What made you want to use this product as opposed to this top case luggage rack?

I am still on the fence now that you posted about the one you found, but to me it looks a little too GS-y for the RT topcase.   If it is easy on/off for installation, I may get one.   I am not too fond of the looks of it when it is not in use.    I think it uses the back rest pad for front securement and it if it easy to get to I may like it for occasional use.     I only wonder what type of protection it provides against the paint.  I cannot tell from the photos, but even if it has rubber pads, I think there may be some rubbing from movement while riding.  If the paint ends up getting damaged, then I would rather drill holes for the other rack even though that is what is holding me back from getting it in the first place.  That, and a potential source for water intrusion.

William,

I actually like the looks of it, and it is black and matches the bike.  I also like that it can be taken on and off.  I would not leave it on all the time.  No drilling and low profile, and the price point is good.  They have a bag that is custom made for the rack as well.  You have a good point about rubbing and I am going to email the company to see how that is addressed. I will report when I hear back from them.  

Ron

• Thanks 1

Hey guys just 2 touch base with you that unit is actually very well made and low profile which is why I like it. It comes with four rubber bumpers that mate with clear adhesive pads that sit on the trunk itself. Personally haven't had any issues with scuffing up of the paint work itself but I don't have a painted top cases just the base silver model so I probably wouldn't care if it gets scuffed up a bit anyway not to mention it's about $100 less than that Wunderlich

Edited by Krid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I received this email response from RS Motorcycle Solutions concerning my inquiry about protection of the paint at the rack's contact points to the topcase.  

"there are 4 rubber bumpers attached between rack and topcase surface
that will prevent this."

• 2 months later...
Colorado Jeff
On 4/5/2021 at 3:21 PM, Krid said:

Hey guys just 2 touch base with you that unit is actually very well made and low profile which is why I like it. It comes with four rubber bumpers that mate with clear adhesive pads that sit on the trunk itself. Personally haven't had any issues with scuffing up of the paint work itself but I don't have a painted top cases just the base silver model so I probably wouldn't care if it gets scuffed up a bit anyway not to mention it's about $100 less than that Wunderlich

Hi Krid:

I'm about to pull the trigger on this topcase rack with the luggage, what do you think of the rack now after a few months?

Thanks