DaveTheAffable

Orange County, Calif. to Branch, Arkansas

DaveTheAffable

I need to make a trip to Branch, Arkansas before it gets too hot there this year. I’ll have about 10 days available, and any days I spend in Branch, I will be staying in the home of some friends. I’ll be going on my RT, and would like to avoid hotel costs and use campgrounds in route.

Branch is just east of Fort Smith, AR. And, a little north west of Little Rock, AR.

As many times as I have looked at the map, I have not really seen much opportunity for making this a pleasant ride other than slabbing it down I 40 there and back. I figured I would make my way to Flagstaff from Orange County, and then continue east from there.  Any suggestions or insight?

Thanks!

Dennis Andress

Make Gunnison, Colorado a waypoint.

Rinkydink

I’ve lived in Arkansas for 64 years and never heard of Branch. Definitely hit Utah and Colorado. I prefer heading south from Trinidad CO to Raton NM , (gas up) then Hwy 64 to  Hwy 87 to Vega Tx. From there it’s your choice I40 east to Ft Smith or wind you way via backroads according to your timeline. You really should hit some of our fine roads anywhere in the NW quadrant of the state while your here. 

I don’t know how much riding you’re going to want to do after your trek but Mt Magazine, Buffalo River are worth your time. Your hosts will undoubtedly know all the nearby spots. 

DaveTheAffable

That’s probably a good suggestion Dennis.   I could do the speed run to Branch on I-40 to get it over with. I only need to be in Branch one day.

On the way back I have time. I could do Wichita, Pueblo, Salida, Gunnison... scoot up to Highway 70, and then work my way down to I-15 and back into California. 

Any issues with Hwy 50 late May/June?

DaveTheAffable

Thanks Rinkydink! I’ve heard that if you blink... you’ll miss Branch. But I have some family business I need to attend to there for a relative that passed... and that’s where I’m goin.  

Feel free to refine what you mean by the northwest quadrant.  🙂

EDIT:  I just did a little research and I see that there are a whole bunch of suggestions for the general “Ozarks” area north of I 40. Thanks for enlightening me!

Dennis Andress
10 minutes ago, DaveTheAffable said:

That’s probably a good suggestion Dennis.   I could do the speed run to Branch on I-40 to get it over with. I only need to be in Branch one day.

On the way back I have time. I could do Wichita, Pueblo, Salida, Gunnison... scoot up to Highway 70, and then work my way down to I-15 and back into California. 

Any issues with Hwy 50 late May/June?

@Whip would know...

Rinkydink

Sorry for your loss Dave. The northwest section of the state is motorcycle nirvana. There are literally no bad roads. I see your time is limited in Arkansas and you don’t seem to have time to enjoy Arkansas this trip. If you decide to head back thru Kansas just take Hwy 23 north (The Pig Trail) thru Eureka Springs into Missouri  and up to I70 west. 

DaveTheAffable
1 minute ago, Rinkydink said:

Sorry for your loss Dave. The northwest section of the state is motorcycle nirvana. There are literally no bad roads. I see your time is limited in Arkansas and you don’t seem to have time to enjoy Arkansas this trip. If you decide to head back thru Kansas just take Hwy 23 north (The Pig Trail) thru Eureka Springs into Missouri  and up to I70 west. 

My time is required, but brief in branch.  But once I leave there it’s an open pallet as to the return trip that I want to paint. Thank you for your kind words and suggestions.

Ken S

It's would cover only a small part of your miles, but the Talimena Scenic Byway between Mena AR and Talihina OK is very nice.  I've made the trip several times, and like this part.  Heading west, I usually take smaller highways up toward or past OK City.

And on the west end of the Byway, here's a nice cafe in Talihina OK.

image.png.abe6fbc5acaaf4db065822eea08bf739.png

• Like 2

Whip
Posted (edited)

Anything can happen at 11,000 feet in late May but it is rare. You just need to keep an eye on the weather.

This is @Calvin (no socks) bike on Monarch Pass on his way to Salida from Spring Torrey a few years ago. The easiest thing to do is put the webcam links for the Pass on your phone’s home page and check it in Salida or Gunnison. 

3E305EE1-8142-4BEE-B84A-C70782D98FD1.jpeg

Edited by Whip
  • Like 2

roadscholar

I'm with Ken S, I've always wanted to do the Talimena Scenic Hwy but haven't yet. On the way back I'd slab it from there to Amarillo then turn Northwest thru New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah. Maybe like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1KaHSXoCBwiN7jwCfo2X5KxxxvjGfQ8f6&usp=sharing

Or with an option from Pagoso Springs to Ridgeway: (check the weather, either way could have snow on the passes)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1o-hdKuwxVt1llg7UtiN4P3i7ZvkyIQP3&usp=sharing

• Like 1

lawnchairboy

can't go wrong either way with those, unless a spring storm gets you.

DaveTheAffable
5 hours ago, roadscholar said:

I'm with Ken S, I've always wanted to do the Talimena Scenic Hwy but haven't yet. On the way back I'd slab it from there to Amarillo then turn Northwest thru New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah. Maybe like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1KaHSXoCBwiN7jwCfo2X5KxxxvjGfQ8f6&usp=sharing

Or with an option from Pagoso Springs to Ridgeway: (check the weather, either way could have snow on the passes)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1o-hdKuwxVt1llg7UtiN4P3i7ZvkyIQP3&usp=sharing

Thanks for taking the time Bill!  Those look good.

• Like 1

longjohn

If you’re going to be in that part of UT, and haven’t yet been on the moki dugway or burr trail, you won’t be disappointed. 

Rob Nowell

I use motorcycleroads.com to assist in my planning, because I, too, try and avoid Interstates.

bwpsg42

The talimena hwy is really  nice.  It was a regular ride when i lived in Dallas. Dry county on the Arkansas side though if that matters.  There are many terrific roads criss crossing the north and west part of Arkansas.  Hwy 7 runs along the grand canyon of Arkansas and is great. 

DaveTheAffable

The Talimena Highway has been suggested more than once. I’m going to have to look at that and figure out where my “priorities” are.

I had ordered a Zumo XT back on March 19 (which vendor doesn’t really matter) and Garman has been back ordered on that GPS and others.  There was a spring sale of $399 instead of the usual $499, and everyone ran out of them quickly. As best I can tell, nobody is getting shipments right now. I had a “in stock” date of April 2, then April 8, then April 12, and now April 19.  🙄

I am leaving on the 22nd or 23rd, and if I don’t have it, I’ll just have to get along without it and use Waze or something else in my cell phone.

Ha!  Listen to me whine. I’m getting ready to go on a beautiful motorcycle trip and I’m concerned about a GPS. LOL.

• Like 1

bwpsg42

If you end using an IOS device, I like the “pocket earth” app.  Making routes is easy and will  give turn by turn instructions. Scenic app seems good also but is a bit pricier. 

TSConver
14 hours ago, DaveTheAffable said:

The Talimena Highway has been suggested more than once. I’m going to have to look at that and figure out where my “priorities” are.

I had ordered a Zumo XT back on March 19 (which vendor doesn’t really matter) and Garman has been back ordered on that GPS and others.  There was a spring sale of $399 instead of the usual $499, and everyone ran out of them quickly. As best I can tell, nobody is getting shipments right now. I had a “in stock” date of April 2, then April 8, then April 12, and now April 19.  🙄

I am leaving on the 22nd or 23rd, and if I don’t have it, I’ll just have to get along without it and use Waze or something else in my cell phone.

Ha!  Listen to me whine. I’m getting ready to go on a beautiful motorcycle trip and I’m concerned about a GPS. LOL.

Order mine directly from Garmin at the same time as you for the same price.  It is out for delivery today.  :18: