IGNORED

Incompatible Garmin 65 & Sena SMH10R

pgm

Arggghhhh!... (as Charlie Brown would say)

I have a Sena SMH10R on my helmet - OK, but the volume seems a little weak.  It works OK with my riding budding (I bought a pair and gave him one). 

Then I bought a Garmin 65 GPS.  I was under the impression that BlueTooth is compatible thru all generations (3, 4, 4.1, 5 and so on).  Unfortunately, my Garmin says no dice.  I really would like the voice prompts from the garmin. 

Can anyone explain to me what is going on?

PGM,

Not familiar with the newer "65", but I've have, and have thoroughly used, a slew of Garmins going back to the Nuvi 200.  I use a Nuvi 2599LMTHD or a 3590LM on the bikes because the screens will rotate and are hi-def.

I drive all over the South for business and use a big Nuvi 2797 next to my cell phone running Waze.  BOTH android and Garmin have good features and not-so-good shortcomings.  One thing about Garmin is the Customer Support, email or cell phone, you always get someone who knows their stuff.  They have always made me happy I called.  You might try that if you haven't already.

I looked at the reviews of the 65 on Amazon, specifically the "critical" reviews.  Looks like there are some problems with the unit, occasional crazy directions, long boot-up, power cable compatibility, overheating, lack of concise instructions, etc.   I'd avoid it.  Too late to return it??  Call Garmin.

As for Sena, I have (or HAD) the Sena SRL in a Neotec II.  Got it out last weekend, charged it up, and its dead. The battery is OK, the unit is dead.  It's been a little over two years since I bought it (warranty is 2 years, 0.000 months).  Good thing I also have a Cardo.  MUCH better hardware, software, technology, support, audio, you name it.  Good luck with Sena.

On 3/18/2021 at 4:50 PM, pgm said:

Seems like the 65 doesn't have "traditional" bluetooth ... the manual is a bit fuzzy ...in one place it mentions bluetooth to talk to smartphones, but in another section on how to pair the phone you need to load a Garmin app on your phone which then communicates via bluetooth to the garmin 65... wacky ... obviously the designers did not consider turn by turn audio as a feature needed for the smartphone .

Garmin figures motorcycles should use use their new Zumo XT which looks like a pretty spiffy unit.

12 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

Garmin figures motorcycles should use use their new Zumo XT which looks like a pretty spiffy unit.

If I was in the market for a Garmin ... the XT would be it ... really seems like they've put most everything they've learned from users into one unit... and on sale at $399 (normal $499) its quite a steal vs the older Zumos :18:

8 hours ago, Chris K said:

Looks like the 65 has wi-fi connection but not bluetooth. 

It has both.  But for some reason, one mfr or the other does not do compatible bluetooth for Turn-by-Turn voice prompts

On 3/22/2021 at 2:25 PM, chrisolson said:

If I was in the market for a Garmin ... the XT would be it ... really seems like they've put most everything they've learned from users into one unit... and on sale at $399 (normal $499) its quite a steal vs the older Zumos :18:

$399??   

Where??

34 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

$399??   

Where??

It was a limited time offer on Garmins' site ... unfortunately now expired.

Still showing at $399 from Sierra BMW right now. Several retailers had the XT at that price, but most of them are now back at the $499 level. I do think the limited time offer has expired, and some that ordered one have to wait a while for them to be back in stock.  

Got it.

THANK YOU, Ikraus!!

Well, Paypal says it went thru, and Sierra said Thank You.  Hope I don't get a call or email Monday morning.  We'll see.

John Bentall
On 3/18/2021 at 11:50 PM, pgm said:

Arggghhhh!... (as Charlie Brown would say)

I have a Sena SMH10R on my helmet - OK, but the volume seems a little weak.  It works OK with my riding budding (I bought a pair and gave him one). 

Then I bought a Garmin 65 GPS.  I was under the impression that BlueTooth is compatible thru all generations (3, 4, 4.1, 5 and so on).  Unfortunately, my Garmin says no dice.  I really would like the voice prompts from the garmin. 

I do believe that you have purchased an automobile GPS. 

In an automobile you might need to connect to a smartphone so that you can see who is calling on the GPS screen and even dial out. 

One does not need a Sena SMH10R headset to hear the GPS in the cabin of an automobile - so the GPS has only a BT PHONE (HFP) profile built in. 

The GPS needs a HEADSET (HSP) profile to communicate with a Sena/Cardo headset. 

The last Garmin automobile GPS to feature both profiles was the Nuvi 765 of about a decade ago.

Ridermount in the UK do a suitable little gadget to provide BT from an automobile GPS

John - Thank you for providing a clear explanation and insight. 

Yes, I should have known that bluetooth has implemented "profiles" as they went thru version numbers.  While "backward compatible", it is not forward compatible. 

The 65 was a refurbished unit that cost me little change.  I'll keep it in my Tacoma truck.  It works well for me there, as I can receive phone calls with good audio, both in & out. 

Mean while, this thread has focused me on an XT for my bike at a 20% discount... OK, I can't take my money to my grave (as "they" say). 

Thanks again for a great response.

cheers.

23 hours ago, John Bentall said:

I do believe that you have purchased an automobile GPS. 

In an automobile you might need to connect to a smartphone so that you can see who is calling on the GPS screen and even dial out. 

One does not need a Sena SMH10R headset to hear the GPS in the cabin of an automobile - so the GPS has only a BT PHONE (HFP) profile built in. 

The GPS needs a HEADSET (HSP) profile to communicate with a Sena/Cardo headset. 

The last Garmin automobile GPS to feature both profiles was the Nuvi 765 of about a decade ago.

Ridermount in the UK do a suitable little gadget to provide BT from an automobile GPS