IGNORED

center stand

PastorJay

Picking up my 2015 rt Monday. Question. Do most BMW riders  use the center stand. I have only owned bikes with the kick stand which always worked well with no concerns. I see the BMW has both, so why not just use the kick stand.

Also, with normal riding what can I expect as far a MPG. 

Thank, you have been a great help. 

I use both the sidestand and the centerstand.  Side stand for quick deployment, uneven terrain;  centerstand when the bike may be sitting for hours, level ground.  Normal mpg --- depends upon your right hand.  I have had 27 mpg; guess how fast I was riding. (hint - triple digits).  Had mileage toward 60 mpg with easy, relaxed cruising.  Probably average around 48 (?).  All too often, my right hand likes to get on the gas aggressively.  It is a medical condition.

• Haha 1

Hot days and soft parking lot pavement might have me using the center-stand instead of the side stand. Then again you can carry a stand puck to disperse the weight. When deploying the center stand, press down with your foot (obviously) and pull the bike backwards, not up. Seems to work much easier that way. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
RandyShields
29 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Hot days and soft parking lot pavement might have me using the center-stand instead of the side stand.

I actually had an RT on the center stand on the hot pavement of a restaurant, and one side sunk in so much that the bike went over . . . onto a friend's bike that also then went over.  Expensive lunch.  Another good solution is to get a built in side stand foot.  Those are generally wide enough to prevent the above.  Many options on the link below.

bmw side stand foot - Bing

• Like 2

Back in the day, when they had motorcycle shows that we could attend, a lot of the vendors offered the plastic "coasters" with their company logo/info on them. 

On my C, I had to use it once in some soft gravel, but have yet to put them in place for either bike on the Summertime Hot Georgia (pronounced Joe Jaa!) Asphalt, but then again I may have jinxed myself.  Oh, my.

Pastor Jay... congrats. You will love it. I use both stands. If parked for a couple days I use the center stand. I also use it to air up tires or if I am adding a passenger. For day riding if the ground is good I use the side stand. The side stand foot is very small. You need to get a side stand enlarger. There are many brands. Mine came from Wunderlich

Mileage... you will get at least 42 and if ridden 70ish or less you should get 48-50. The tank isn’t full when the pump shuts off. Back it out a little, go slow, and you can easily squeeze in another 1/2 gallon or so

Ride safe, have fun, Take pictures

PS tire PSI 38 front 42 rear

39 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Back in the day, when they had motorcycle shows that we could attend, a lot of the vendors offered the plastic "coasters" with their company logo/info on them. 

On my C, I had to use it once in some soft gravel, but have yet to put them in place for either bike on the Summertime Hot Georgia (pronounced Joe Jaa!) Asphalt, but then again I may have jinxed myself.  Oh, my.

Suh! It's propah pronunciation is Jaw-ja.  An', by-the-way, one should genuflect when said out loud in public.

• Haha 1

My apologies, good sir.  I was trying to convey that thick accent and failed miserably.  Thanks for straightening out this Damn Yankee.

• Haha 1
RandyShields
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Hmm, I’m betting it went over on the right side? 

I can't remember; only that it provided the opportunity to fix the saddle bag and get both cases painted silver to match the bike (along with getting one of his fixed).

The shirt 011.jpg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

I can't remember; only that it provided the opportunity to fix the saddle bag and get both cases painted silver to match the bike (along with getting one of his fixed).

The shirt 011.jpg

When life gives you lemons 🍋:thumbsup:

9989e52eac08b93f99df4b68019a9ba4.gif

• Haha 3

PastorJay!!  Congrats on the purchase!!  But, I don't think you'll like it.  These bikes are waaaay too much fun.

The centerstand comes in handy for flat tires and service work, plus loading the bike with extra gear before heading out.  Got to get it loaded symmetrical, right??. 

It usually goes on the side stand first anyway, and then to the centerstand if need be, just because its easier that way.  It takes up less room in the garage on the centerstand, but can be easily turned around on the sidestand (with practice).  Sidestand = easy.  Centerstand = useful.  YRMV.

The "coasters" that William (bless his heart )* referred to can be hard to find these days, BUT, a very suitable substitute can be had at most places frequented by motorclcle types and it's in the form of an aluminum "soda-pop can".  If you want to park your beautiful bike on soft soil and don't want to wake up six other campers or call a tow truck to help pick it up at 6 AM, remember this:  there is usually one or more of these cans nearby on such premises.  Used in the original shape and configuratiion it won't do much good, BUT,  properly modified by stomping the shit out of it, can do an admirable job of spreading a concentrated load from a small forged steel sidestand foot (60 kip steel) onto a mushy campsite soil (0.5 psi CBR) for very little cost.  

If you are unsure , or have trouble locating one of these aforementioned cans, please send me a PM and I will send you one.  Pre-stomped.  Free.  Just for Pastors.

I carry one in my tankbag, with a string on it for retrieval.

* In The South, It's legal and proper that you can say anything about anyone IF, and ONLY IF, you use the phrase "Bless his/her heart" immediately before or after their name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Storage and maintenance on the center stand, short term parking on the side stand. I also use a crushed aluminum can under the side stand foot.

On 3/18/2021 at 4:50 PM, Skywagon said:

Pastor Jay... congrats. You will love it. I use both stands. If parked for a couple days I use the center stand. I also use it to air up tires or if I am adding a passenger. For day riding if the ground is good I use the side stand. The side stand foot is very small. You need to get a side stand enlarger. There are many brands. Mine came from Wunderlich

Mileage... you will get at least 42 and if ridden 70ish or less you should get 48-50. The tank isn’t full when the pump shuts off. Back it out a little, go slow, and you can easily squeeze in another 1/2 gallon or so

Ride safe, have fun, Take pictures

PS tire PSI 38 front 42 rear

Thanks, is that tire pressure for two up. I read the pressure 33 and 35 psi? 

Tire pressure should be checked before you ride. PSI 38F 42R. That will be fine for 1 or 2 Up. The display is temperature compensated so will not read the same as a gauge. Trust a good gauge not the display. For me when riding I leave the tire pressure on in the display as a reference  It lets me know if I have a leak. I use a digital gauge from Slime. It cost about $10

image.jpeg.523108cb504f88ad329fbc83fe970e30.jpeg

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 3/18/2021 at 1:20 PM, PastorJay said:

Picking up my 2015 rt Monday. Question. Do most BMW riders  use the center stand. I have only owned bikes with the kick stand which always worked well with no concerns. I see the BMW has both, so why not just use the kick stand.

Also, with normal riding what can I expect as far a MPG. 

Thank, you have been a great help. 

Sidestand if I'm temporarily parked somewhere during a ride, centerstand for overnight or longer term.  Centerstand is a must in my garage (tight quarters), and it also facilitates spinning the wheels as needed to get to the valves for a pre-ride pressure check.  

For fuel economy, my bike almost always reports low 40s, regardless of whether I'm slabbing at 75-80 MPH or hammering through the twisties.  Although there was that one time I crossed the Great Plains with absolutely insane winds dogging me the whole way...

2011-05-my-torrey-oddity-150-L.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, Taylor1!!

It looks almost IDENTICAL to my SSLS (side stand load spreader):

aClagsem2HLapZcxrbzD4chgmbDd9DVj3o9_snde

Uh,.....  Pastor??  Don't try this with bottles, ok??  Doesn't work that well.  AMHIK.

• Like 1

Like Mitch - center stand in the garage, and if I'm parking overnight on the road> as Lowndes mentions, easier to load and unload a level bike. Yes, the side stand has a smaller foot - many of us add a side stand foot enlarger. You google Fu will find you all kinds of options.

Welcome!

MontanaMark

Side stand for short-term parking, center stand for overnight/maintenance.  On my 1999 RT, side stand lead to oil smoke on startup from oil draining off the left cylinder chain tensioner.   Yeah, I know I was supposed to replace it with the updated tensioner, but never got around to it.

My 2013 RT gets around 43mpg consistently.

Cheers,

Mark