IGNORED

Rain Cover

Skywagon

My garage is being redone due to the flooding from broken pipes due to the freeze.  I've had to keep my RT outside for about 10 days now.  Wouldn't you know it...it's rainy time here  I pulled out my Nelson Rigg half cover I bought ~ 2015.  It had been stored on my bike since new.  I only used it one other time while away from home.  Well....it basically disintegrated.  I need a cover now.  It's rare I need to use it, but need to have one.  I want it to be really lite and needs to fit the RT and the large top box. It should be foldable into a small footprint. Something simple. What's today's wisdom on covers today?  

If you want something quick to act as one then go guy a large blue tarp. Fairly light weight and should not hurt the bike and has multiple points for tie downs. 

4 hours ago, Skywagon said:

My garage is being redone due to the flooding from broken pipes due to the freeze.  I've had to keep my RT outside for about 10 days now.  Wouldn't you know it...it's rainy time here  I pulled out my Nelson Rigg half cover I bought ~ 2015.  It had been stored on my bike since new.  I only used it one other time while away from home.  Well....it basically disintegrated.  I need a cover now.  It's rare I need to use it, but need to have one.  I want it to be really lite and needs to fit the RT and the large top box. It should be foldable into a small footprint. Something simple. What's today's wisdom on covers today?  

Looky, looky but it folds kinda big.

BMW actually sells a branded cover that is similar to the Nelson Rigg in size and coverage. But fits about perfectly on our RT's with topcase and has a nice BMW logo on the front. I also has a built in storage bag that works suprisingly well. I have owned the Nelson Rigg version, this BMW cover is higher quality. Less than $50 when I bought my RT at Gulf Coast BMW. They had it in stock. 

Plus one on the BMW cover. Well made. They have a full cover and a half cover. My half cover will cover the top box and the side cases! Stops short of  coverage for front wheel + cyclinders.

It's easier to replace the cheaper ones, and they do get worn out by rays from the sun.  They become so the water just goes right thru' them.

I only use one to keep the suns rays off and the dust off, or most of the dust off.  I only use it when I'm not using the bike.  What I mean by that is that I don't take it with me on the road.  I only use it when I have the bike parked out in the driveway and I'm not going to ride it for a few days.  If I'm riding the next day, well, I like to have it ready to go.

I have used the Nelson Rigg, and also Dowco, who took over Nelson Rigg, or some such, all made in China, probably by the same company.  They also wear out from the wind. 

But these are full covers and tie across the bottom nicely. 

If my seat gets wet, I just take a towel and dry it off.  I never had a seat get wet on the inside.  Only on the surface.  And if I ever got cracks in the seat, tears or rips, I just get a new seat.

dc