IGNORED

Speed Bleeder Rant

Cap

I love Speed Bleeders.  They make flushing the brakes on our wetheads really easy.  They are the least expensive mod you can make on a BMW.  But I need to ask, WTF?  The rear brake caliper uses a 7/16" wrench to operate.  Really?  on a metric bike?  At least the right-front caliper uses 8mm.  But then, the left-front caliper is 1/4" !!!  Three different sized parts for the same function.  What are they thinking?

Cap

Perhaps those are the sizes that worked best for bleeding those particular lines with the least amount of issues, more fluid transfer needed with the large bleeder and that circuit, less with the small ones, due to volume and piston travel.

Or, engineers get their kicks where they can....

• Like 1

Yep all three are different.  On the GS also. 

I had a fit on the 15 RT when I did speed bleeders.  I could not believe some company would do that`.  Why would you want to keep track of three different sized bleed nipples in production? 

Stupid stuff for sure.

6 hours ago, AndyS said:

Hi Cap, isn't that rear item 11mm?

Well, that is within .1% of the same size, so probably yes.  When 10mm and 12mm didn't fit, I reached for 7/16".  Meanwhile, the two front calipers are essentially identical, why 8mm on the right, and 1/4" on the left? :dontknow:

My theory is that these are all recycled parts for Harley Davidsons, and they accidently shipped me something for a Honda too. :-)

• Smile 1
2 hours ago, Paul De said:

Haha, you sure some sneaky vintage Norton guy didn't sneak in a Whitworth size on you!

A long time ago, in a place far far away, I owned a 1960 Sunbeam Alpine.  And that car used some Whitworth sizes.  I discovered that vise grips will work on Whitworth bolts. :facepalm:

4 hours ago, Cap said:

A long time ago, in a place far far away, I owned a 1960 Sunbeam Alpine.  And that car used some Whitworth sizes.  I discovered that vise grips will work on Whitworth bolts. :facepalm:

Vise grips work on all bolts. And then you buy new bolts.

I ruined a lot of bicycle fasteners as a kid....

• Smile 1

For the one time every 2 years that I have to access these bleeders, I don't really mind getting out 3 separate wrenches.

By the way, how do you all dispose of your old brake fluid?  I have been saving it up in an old Gatorade jug.  But sooner or later... I asked my local auto parts place when I dumped my used motor oil.  And they specifically said that they will take any mix of oils, but brake fluid is not in their service level agreement.  Actually, that is not what they said, but I'm summarizing here.

cap