IGNORED

Anybody pulling a trailer with a wethead?

BeemerBerg

Yea, I know the caveats. 

I have a Aspen Camper trailer (~350 lbs) that I’ve happily pulled with previous BMWs (air heads, cam heads). I see Bushtec makes a hitch for the wetheads. 

Anybody?

Looks like you'll be the first around here to do it.  Certainly the Wethead would have the horsepower to do it, so let us know how it turns out.

• 2 months later...
On 3/15/2021 at 11:44 PM, BeemerBerg said:

Yea, I know the caveats. 

I have a Aspen Camper trailer (~350 lbs) that I’ve happily pulled with previous BMWs (air heads, cam heads). I see Bushtec makes a hitch for the wetheads. 

Anybody?

I have a 2015 fitted with a Classic Industries towbar (Australia). I tow a Shadow trailer, which weighs 60kg empty/160kg maximum loaded.  The trailer has independent suspension with fully adjustable Koni shocks.

It tows beautifully and is very stable at all speeds. The only downside is the really tall first gear which is a PIA to start off on hills if I have a passenger. I load it as lightly as possible.

IMG_8175 2.jpg

IMG_8174.HEIC

Edited by John
On 5/19/2021 at 5:22 AM, John said:

I load it as lightly as possible.

Haha, you haven't met my wife!  When we travel we are always overstuffed, no matter the size of the vehicle.  Early years we had a sedan,  stuffed and she would lament about making choices on what to leave behind. Then we upgraded to the SUV and still stuffed to the gills with her lamenting about choices to be made on what to leave behind. Added a trailer to the SUV and still not an inch to spare, with her lamenting about what to leave behind.  Now she is hinting about a larger trailer and I am dumb. but not stupid and realize we will still travel overstuffed with her lamenting about what to leave behind. The only solution is to move the whole damn house, but maybe not even then...

Given the reality of how we always travel too heavy, I have vowed to never-ever put a trailer on my motorcycles.  We are talking about a big road trip in the not too distant future and she has begun hinting that maybe she will follow in a chase car.  After some thought, I agreed and told her I will program in the hotels in her car's nav system and meet her each evening along the way because I don't want to do a caravan pace on boring roads.  This solution means I don;t have to decide what to leave behind!  Of course she hated that plan!

Rob Nowell

Another plus is that you can always have a cooler of ice-cold beer when you stop at the hotel for the night!  Happy wife = happy life,, right?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

Another plus is that you can always have a cooler of ice-cold beer when you stop at the hotel for the night!  Happy wife = happy life,, right?

I carry that in the trailer if going remote :4323: