IGNORED

R1200Rt Tool KIt (or lack thereof...)

Mike05

I'm interested in what tools (specifically) any of you add to the OEM tool kit on the R1200RT when you go on a road trip. I'm O.K. with other accessories for motorcycle treks but this is my first BMW and the stock tool bag kinda leaves a lot to be desired. Actually, it sucks.

I've looked at buying a more complete after-market set of tools designed to support this model but I'm thinking most of what I'll need is already in my garage. I can probably muddle my way thru the pickin' & choosin' but I'm bound to miss that extra something you already know about and hate myself for not asking the Board.

Thanks, and all suggestions on what "stuff" to add are appreciated.

Mike05

I looked at the contents of the BMW $85 kit and replicated that from tools around my garage. I then added some things that I thought were important. It all wraps up in the little roll-up pouch that came on the bike and still fits in the same spot under the seat. I put a tire repair tool ito the corresponding space on the left side of the frame directly opposite the tool kit.

Hex:

I use a blue canvas tool kit thing I bought years ago at a rally. I bought the $85 tool kit, put the contents in it and added small vise grips, 15mm and 30mm feeler gages. In another pouch,from an air flight to Europe, I keep a dismantled discount store air compressor. Another small pouch has tire patch ropes and rubber cement. I keep a first aid kit in tank bag and carry two small flashlights. I always keep water on the bike for breakdowns. I put it in the radio compartment along with a clean rag. I use this to clean my visor...just put the rag in your lap with it pinched between the tank and your leg, then pour a little water on one corner, put the water away and clean your visor. It takes a little practice and you have to have empty road. Cruise control rules!

I use bag liners in the side cases. This lets me put non-clothes outside the liners in the lids. The right side lid gets a quart of oil, small roll of Duct Tape, a very small circuit tester and some wires with aligator clips. I use that outer part of the left bag for rain gear. I can get to in in a flash.

I thought $85 was a lot for a tool kit, but then I looked at what it might cost to buy all those tools. Then I thought about how much room they would take compared to the very compact BMW tools.

-TB

This is the best suggestion I have seen on this topic: every time you carry out some maintenance task on the bike, add the tools you have used to the on-bike kit. If you don't want to carry your best tools on the bike, use the ones from the kit when you are working in the garage, thereby ensuring that they will do the job at the side of the road.

I also think it is a good idea to rehearse some jobs before a long trip, even if they are not immediately necessary, such as removing the wheels.

Consider for instance, have you got the means of applying enough torque to that fancy 22mm wheel spindle key that you went to so much trouble to get?

Richard_Spag

Further to the idea of practising possible roadside repairs (specifically wheel removal), I would also strongly recommend this having struggled with the silencer bolt that attaches to the rear bracket. The silencer nut is held captive in a folded metal retainer - needless to say after only six months since it was last undone the nut had seized on the bolt. Turning the bolt simply unfolded the retaining metalwork (without excessive force too!) - so you might want to add a pair of mole grips to hold the metalwork in shape while you undo the bolt.

Regards

Richard

Thanks Richard! I was going to sit down and watch the F1 qualifying, now I'm going out to the garage to put some grease on the silencer bolt thread instead.

The owners' manual for the 2005 R12RT includes a list of additional tools that BMW recommends and offers for sale.

Captain_Pat

I used this site http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/toolkit.html to help select what I would add to my tool kit and then purchased a roll up tool pouch from Bob's BMW thumbsup.gif to put it all in. I also added a Craftsman screwdriver handle with a bunch of allen and torx bits, some duct tape, a tire plug set and compressor.

uh...silencer bolt?????

Nothing to do with guns…

Queen's English vs American English, methinks.

I think the cousins refer to this as the muffler?

Good tip Richard. You can tell I am bored though, it's constant rain today here in Shropshire. So I took the bolt in question out, and yes salt-corrosion was starting, so smeared it with copper grease before replacing it. Also did the bolt that holds the clamp the silencer (aka muffler) to the tube, this looking rather rusty too.

Jeez, for the sake of a pitifully few Euros, you'd think that BMW would fit stainless steel fasteners! In fact I might go round and replace all the lower fasteners that are plated with stainless allen screws sometime. Most of the vulnerable ones are the same size, M8, and would only need to add a 6mm hex key to the toolkit for this. (It being probably mission impossible to obtain stainless Torx screws.)

Archived