IGNORED

Icon Variant Pro Helmet Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Icon Variant Pro Helmet Review

Unique styling, vibrant colors, and wild graphics are the hallmark of Icon Motosports. When it came to revising their peaked dual-sport helmet, Icon looked at customer usage and feedback to make the Variant Pro step up where the original Variant fell short.

As graphics are one of the things on which Icon has made their name, it’s no surprise to see such an excellent finish on the Variant Pro. The Ascension graphic blends matte, gloss, solid and metallic paints into a precise geometric pattern. Icon got ahead of the one gripe I usually have with matte finish helmets—most are bug/dirt/scratch magnets—with the Variant Pro, the chin, peak and forward-facing areas of this graphic are gloss for easier cleaning and longer-lived good looks. Another design plus is the flat, angular design of the chin. It’s as if Icon knew riders were going to be hanging a GoPro somewhere and provided an ideal mounting spot.

Icon VariantPro FBTW

Construction is a lightweight composite of fiberglass, Dyneema, and carbon shell over the usual impact-absorbing EPS liner, and the combination stacks up to a helmet sporting DOT and ECE approvals but still priced below most other composite ADV lids. Closest to your skin is Icons five-piece Hydradry moisture-wicking liner, and each part is available in different thicknesses to customize your fit perfectly. A medium fits my intermediate oval noggin just as I expected but an extra snug neck roll makes entry and removal a little tight. I was impressed by how much ear room this helmet has, both with and without speakers installed in the provided recesses.

On the move, the Variant Pro is optimized for long days of touring. The peak is stable at high speed and the vents do flow air well but work best when the face shield is fully closed. While the peak and shield are removable without tools, Icon didn’t design this helmet to be worn without either; they recommend the Airflight if you’re looking to sport some goggles. Additionally, the face shield requires quite a bit of effort to remove and change between clear or tinted; I cracked one trying to change it on a cold morning. That said, I’m a fan of throwing on a pair of imitation Wayfarers and just lifting the shield when the pavement disappears.

At the end of the day, if your adventures find you traveling mostly on road or at higher speeds, the Icon Variant Pro is a solid choice with design, graphics, and value to set it apart.

RideIcon.com

MSRP: $350–450

Sizes: XS-3XL | 3 shells | Composite and carbon shells available

Icon VariantPro D Rings

• PROS:

• Stylish design and wild graphics
  • Flat chin makes GoPro mounting simple
  • Nicely priced

• CONS:

• Tricky shield changes
  • Unable to wear goggles

Icon VariantPro Side