IGNORED

i'm back

Sean

Hey guys what's up. Yup, I'm back. Yeah, that guy back in the day of oilheads that would ride an R1100RT way too fast. Anyway sorry, had to step away for a bit and whoa did the last decade fly by!  Some y'all might remember me, and look forward to meeting everyone that's joined since.

Soo... I pulled our my 'ol Shoei RF-800 and Roadcrafter from a moving box in the basement a few months back, dusted them off (okay my Roadcrafter stunk like my dog's butt so I washed it), tested a R1250GSA, one thing led to another, and um... yeah, so I have a new '21 GSA that's being delivered next month.  I know, right? Ok, not an RT which has always been my fav, but man this GSA rocks! Yeah, well, for what I want now...a decade later.  Seems to have all the performance I can wring out of it that meets or exceeds my 'ol RT, and it'll go about anywhere I want that even my RT couldn't go.  It's coming in the ice gray color and has every possible option on it, except the alarm (and really, who needs that on a GSA?)  It'll have ADV aluminum cases, liners, backrest, locks, carriers, blah, blah, blah.  I'm told I should consider the radiator guards (??) and extended skidplate that protects the cat as well (why do I care about protecting the cat, idk..).

Alright so this old fart needs some help with all this newfangled tech and gear (my helmet still has an Autocomm headset installed lol!).

1. Helmets: For a GSA rider and me having a ridiculously "shoei-correct" head, I need a new helmet and Shoe's still where it's at for me.  I'm looking at either the Neotech II or the Hornet X2.  What are you GSA riders using?  I like the Neotech II, but worried that it won't provide the dust management that maybe the Hornet will provide when leaving pavement?  I'm kinda leaning towards the Hornet, but thoughts?

2. BMW Connectivity: Alright, I downloaded the BMW Motorrad app already even though I don't have the bike yet. So, my understanding from fiddling with the new display (that totally rocks I might say), it looks like you pair your phone to the bike via Bluetooth, and then you pair your headsets (rider and passenger) to the bike, right?  Wow, crazy how far this tech has come since the old Autocomm days!  Alright, so I'm told about a BMW headset kit, a Sena headset, and uh... yeah I need your help.  Can't I just connect some airpods or other any bluetooth headset to the bike or is there some proprietary protocol that prevents this?

So, what helmet and headset to get?

• Like 4

Welcome back, great choice selecting your new motorcycle. Both helmets are nice but I have neither so, that’s useless. :classic_biggrin:  A Sena and smart phone, along with what’s comfortable between those two helmets and you’re styling! :yes:

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Welcome back, great choice selecting your new motorcycle. Both helmets are nice but I have neither so, that’s useless. :classic_biggrin:  A Sena and smart phone, along with what’s comfortable between those two helmets and you’re styling! :yes:

Awesome, thanks! 👍

• Like 1

I've had a Shoei Neotech II for about 3 years now. I had two of the Neotech I before that. The Neotech II is the same fit and it's finished a bit better. Additionally, it is quieter compared to the NT I (I compared them on back-to-back rides a couple times going the same routes before tossing the NT I). The airflow could be better in hot weather. Interestingly, I found that I got the best cooling with the faceshield down - not sure why. I also removed the under-chin padding. I found it changed the noise dynamics so the helmet was actually louder with it in.

BTW, I have a R1100RT with an Aeroflow windscreen and I generally ride with it adjusted so I can just see over the top of the screen when going downhill. For the last few months, I've been experimenting with Apple AirPod Pros for noise suppression only. They work really quite well but I find they slowly slip out of my ears after an hour or so, so I stop, remove my helmet and reinsert them. You have to try all the "ear tips" to find the best one for you - we all have different ears. I may try some aftermarket ear tips. You can also listen to audio while riding and you don't have to have it very loud but I've made a habit of not driving with audio so I stay focused on the riding. 

Welcome back to powered two-wheeling!

Best

Miguel

:wave:

The, sorry let me correct that, THE fastest guy who has ever ridden an RT is now on a GS?

Clear the roads, Kids.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, Miguel! said:

I've had a Shoei Neotech II for about 3 years now. I had two of the Neotech I before that. The Neotech II is the same fit and it's finished a bit better. Additionally, it is quieter compared to the NT I (I compared them on back-to-back rides a couple times going the same routes before tossing the NT I). The airflow could be better in hot weather. Interestingly, I found that I got the best cooling with the faceshield down - not sure why. I also removed the under-chin padding. I found it changed the noise dynamics so the helmet was actually louder with it in.

BTW, I have a R1100RT with an Aeroflow windscreen and I generally ride with it adjusted so I can just see over the top of the screen when going downhill. For the last few months, I've been experimenting with Apple AirPod Pros for noise suppression only. They work really quite well but I find they slowly slip out of my ears after an hour or so, so I stop, remove my helmet and reinsert them. You have to try all the "ear tips" to find the best one for you - we all have different ears. I may try some aftermarket ear tips. You can also listen to audio while riding and you don't have to have it very loud but I've made a habit of not driving with audio so I stay focused on the riding. 

Welcome back to powered two-wheeling!

Best

Miguel

Thanks, Miguel!  My wife and I went and tried on the Neotech II and the fit is great!  My wife absolutely loved it and said very definitively that's the one she wants.  I thought the fit was superb too.  I'm still kinda leaning to the Hornet X2 for me though, and I've heard that the fit/comfort should be about the same as the Neotech II, but still thinking about it.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Neotech II also, I'm just concerned about amount dust intrusion when going on trails and dirt roads.

Regarding the airpods, so you're saying you can connect airpods or other bluetooth earbuds to the GS?  I'm guessing it's just a standard Bluetooth headset connection?

19 minutes ago, Jake said:

:wave:

The, sorry let me correct that, THE fastest guy who has ever ridden an RT is now on a GS?

Clear the roads, Kids.

Hey Jake!  I know, scary right?  Now not only do the paved roads need to be cleared but now the back-country roads and trails too! Watch out for your cattle, sheep, and chickens! Might be some unhappy farmers. Lol!

Thanks Jake and I'm glad to be back.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Regarding the airpods, so you're saying you can connect airpods or other bluetooth earbuds to the GS?  I'm guessing it's just a standard Bluetooth headset connection?

I connect the AirPods to my iPhone which is on a handlebar stem. My bike doesn't have any modern elements like Bluetooth. It's design is from the early 90's long before any of that stuff was even invented. But I "think" the Apple AirPods only work with Apple devices such as my MacBook, iPhone and Ms Miguel's iPad.

Regarding the NeoTech II performance in a dusty environment, I have no idea. I'm strictly a blacktop rider. Hopefully someone else will comment on that. Let us know how it works out.

Miguel 

On 3/6/2021 at 4:01 PM, Sean said:

1. Helmets: For a GSA rider and me having a ridiculously "shoei-correct" head, I need a new helmet and Shoe's still where it's at for me.  I'm looking at either the Neotech II or the Hornet X2.  What are you GSA riders using?  I like the Neotech II, but worried that it won't provide the dust management that maybe the Hornet will provide when leaving pavement?  I'm kinda leaning towards the Hornet, but thoughts?

So, what helmet and headset to get?

Welcome back, Sean. 

I'm a convert to the Hornet X2, which is pretty effective on dust management as long as the chin curtain is in place.  And I like the fixed shade.  But it is noisier than my RF, and when you turn your head at speed the sunshade can catch quite a bit of wind and give your head quite a twist.  The Neotech always wins if you like access to lifting the chin piece (drinking, eating, speaking, border crossings).  I have yet to try any of the offerings with a built-in retractable sunshade (like the Neotech II).   

Enjoy the GSA.  I've had a GS for 8 years and I can't see going back.  It's a tractor, but a pretty capable tractor.  

Mike C

Welcome back Sean. 

I have a 17 RT and I’ve got the Sena, IPhone, GPS, and IPod all figured out. 

Fast forward to today and I have added a 2021 F900XR to my stable. It is a completely different system/animal with the TFT Motoradd app system you will have on your GS. I’ve got the Sena and GPS working but my IPhone connectivity eludes me. I’ve tried every which way I know of and finally backed away to simmer a while. I’m beginning to think I am way dumber than I ever thought. I now have a new Arai and Sena 50R that synced right up to my RT but still no dice with the XR. Frustrating to say the least.  I have resorted to the Life 360 app on my phone so my wife can keep up with me on my XR jaunts. I know I’ll figure it out eventually but damn it shouldn’t be this complex. 

PS You will love the new motor BTW. 

Welcome back Sean. I remember you and your wife (Shelly?) blowing by me 2 up on Hwy 92 in CO at the first unrally! 

As for helmets, it looks like you have already chosen a great one. You can't go wrong with a Shoei. For Bluetooth coms, I have recently switch from Sena to Cardo. The Sena works well if it just the two of you but the Cardo works best if you want to connect to a group. 

Thanks guys, awesome feedback!

@Chris K Lol! I do remember that!  You were going pretty fast when I passed you! :D

I think I've decided on the Hornet for me and the Neotech for my wife.  If I don't like the Hornet all the time I'll just get another Neotech for me and swap between them.  I think I'll wait until I take delivery of the bike before deciding on comms.

Dennis Andress

Welcome back! From an RT to a GSA and even a glance at a K bike?

Sena's work, marginally. I found battery life to be around 4 hours, at which point I'd either lose radar detector audio or plug in a spare Sena. I bought a Nolan N100-5 and its internal Bluetooth doohickey. The helmet is pretty comfortable and I've got the most reliable radar detector audio ever. The battery lasts for days.

Ride good.

Sean,

WELCOME BACK!!  

I have the Neotec II with the SENA SRL.  The Neotec is good but the SRL was maybe ok with just one other rider but the battery would always fizzle mid afternoon.  Then some folks I know all started going from SENA to CARDO like they all went from RT's to GS's.  

I got the gear out several weeks ago and the SENA is dead.  Battery is ok but the unit is dead, only 2.5 years old (warranty is 2).  Luckily I had bought a CARDO Black last fall and it is so much better than the SRL ever was, software, hardware, fuctionality, etc.  The difference is like between the Cub Scouts and Navy Seals.  

• Haha 2
On 3/12/2021 at 6:55 PM, Lowndes said:

Sean,

WELCOME BACK!!  

I have the Neotec II with the SENA SRL.  The Neotec is good but the SRL was maybe ok with just one other rider but the battery would always fizzle mid afternoon.  Then some folks I know all started going from SENA to CARDO like they all went from RT's to GS's.  

I got the gear out several weeks ago and the SENA is dead.  Battery is ok but the unit is dead, only 2.5 years old (warranty is 2).  Luckily I had bought a CARDO Black last fall and it is so much better than the SRL ever was, software, hardware, fuctionality, etc.  The difference is like between the Cub Scouts and Navy Seals.  

Thanks! Sounds like the consensus is to stay away from the Sena's.  Will look into the Cardo.  I hear BMW has their own version too that supports rider-to-passenger comms.  Anyone with experience with these?

Hey also, I got my trust roadcrafter suit out, washed it after sitting in a packing box for a couple years (yech!). Now it's clean and shiny (expect the reflective material on the back which is starting to flake off) and overall looks good as new.  But, my good old BMW gloves look like they've seen their better days, and I tossed my BMW boots a few years ago.  I LOVED my Held gloves back in the day though.  I have combat boots which will do the trick for now, but what do you guys recommend for gloves and boots these days? BMW? Riderwarehouse combat touring boots? Other? Are Held gloves still around and good? Looking for good all-season waterproof, good protective stuff.

Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, Sean said:

Thanks! Sounds like the consensus is to stay away from the Sena's.  Will look into the Cardo.  I hear BMW has their own version too that supports rider-to-passenger comms.  Anyone with experience with these?

Hey also, I got my trust roadcrafter suit out, washed it after sitting in a packing box for a couple years (yech!). Now it's clean and shiny (expect the reflective material on the back which is starting to flake off) and overall looks good as new.  But, my good old BMW gloves look like they've seen their better days, and I tossed my BMW boots a few years ago.  I LOVED my Held gloves back in the day though.  I have combat boots which will do the trick for now, but what do you guys recommend for gloves and boots these days? BMW? Riderwarehouse combat touring boots? Other? Are Held gloves still around and good? Looking for good all-season waterproof, good protective stuff.

Sidi boots are not even made of leather any more. Harley outsources to a variety of boot makers. (One of the few places I can find size 15s) Daytona boots are cubic dollars but damn nice.

BMW Atlantis gloves are nice. Held is still around.

Eagle Leather near Tacoma is the coolest place I've shopped for gear.

Gerbings got sold and F'd up. The kids making a go on their own.

• 2 weeks later...