IGNORED

Velocity Clip

TEWKS

Has anyone ever tried one of these phone mounts? It looks well made but got some mixed reviews online. :dontknow: Fifty bucks is fine if it's not a piece of shite but until in hand, it's a crapshoot. :grin: I have a gopro but the problem with those is you have no idea what you've captured until you're back home and plugged into a desktop. The new phones have you shooting, editing and posting almost instantly.

Velocity Clip

Thanks...

iphone.png?v=9837216184246991803

roadscholar

There's a thread on Adv about IPhones doing weird stuff when mounted on a bike (I couldn't readily find it). I think it's mostly in offroad situations though, you don't do any of that do you?  :whistle: 

• Haha 1

Nope, not me! :whistle:

I read some reviews about it being shaky but I videoed a bit last year while moving on gravel (holding the phone) and it was way better than I thought it'd be. I can see mounting it on the bike directly being shaky but maybe your body would smoothen the pic. :dontknow:  Thanks, Bill! :thumbsup:

I was expecting to see a spin out! :eek: I forget if that was recorded or just the aftermath of the incident. :dontknow:

32 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I was expecting to see a spin out! :eek: I forget if that was recorded or just the aftermath of the incident. :dontknow:

That was next day after we went back to pick up the bike,.....I parked it in a ditch, which you know you have a good wife when she gets behind the bike to push as I throttle it to get it back on the road.  These Nostradamus weather people didn't think the previous day would be bad,....I recall "ground temps are 48*, nothing should stick"......school stayed in, six bus accidents and most importantly I did a 40-45mph slide. 

• Like 1

First two issues...the adjustment slide has locking teeth (to tilt the phone) (which is good) but the tilt adjustment screw is too short. When you back it out enough to get over the cogs or teeth it falls apart because you run out of thread. :dontknow:

The second issue and it’s not really their fault is that a modular helmet has no good place on the chin area to mount it. So, I’m going to remove the chin vent and try to mount a clip in its place.

B5E2F455-ED35-455E-86A4-D678D3871E19.jpeg

Getting there! :thumbsup: I’m unsure if the height will be too low, a test ride is needed to determine that. :revit:

CAF89877-D6AE-4773-8EC3-22635C97EBA7.jpeg

38 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

As good as it’s going to get. A test video is next. 

F051DD33-FE71-4649-9FAB-C175E7B54690.jpeg

It's a 

image.png.7b04def0770c5eed25017bea4922f3c1.png

so it should catch alot of wind and give your a nice push down on the head.

roadscholar
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

First two issues...the adjustment slide has locking teeth (to tilt the phone) (which is good) but the tilt adjustment screw is too short. When you back it out enough to get over the cogs or teeth it falls apart because you run out of thread. :dontknow:

Likely to protect us from ourselves so you can't mess with it while riding and crash. Of course we wouldn't but somebody probably would : )  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It does have a pretty big frontal area so, we’ll have to see how that plays. If it forces me to look down at my fuel tank, I better reengineer it. :classic_biggrin:

So here’s the test video I mentioned. The camera position may end up being a bit too low while sitting on the bike. I intend to use it on the back gravel roads I find down in North Carolina next month :yes:  and for that, I’ll be standing anyway. I had to remove the front vent slide on the helmet to find a flat enough spot to stick the clip. I didn’t find it all that useful anyway and it’s a cheap helmet so no big deal. :dontknow:

Final word...I approve for now. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4

Little secret, I originally did a voice over on how it performed but ended up nixing it. I don’t know if it’s just me but my recorded voice sounds so stupid to my ears...:classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
szurszewski
On 3/5/2021 at 12:21 PM, roadscholar said:

There's a thread on Adv about IPhones doing weird stuff when mounted on a bike (I couldn't readily find it). I think it's mostly in offroad situations though, you don't do any of that do you?  :whistle: 

I’ve killed two cameras in a iPhone X and I’m pretty sure it’s from the bike. The first one I’m sure of - 1200 mile trip on the bars of a R9T and the camera failed after day one (just one of the two cameras, to be precise). The second one I was more careful with, but it suffered the same fate. 

• Like 1

I’m hoping that it being helmet mounted and having years of hot fudge sundaes and such under my belt (human damping) :) will cushion the phone from the harshest of vibrations. And again, I’m only going to mount it in targeted areas. We’ll see how it goes, it is amazing what you can do with these new phones.

13 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Just in case you haven’t seen enough, I give you More More More :rofl:

Where's the ATGATT safety Sam's on your improper riding gear!!;)

Get some speed up, see if that windsail has any effect.  Also, need a full body shot with the helmet on to rate the "look cool" factor, or the "what the hell is he wearing"!!

10 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I’ve killed two cameras in a iPhone X and I’m pretty sure it’s from the bike. The first one I’m sure of - 1200 mile trip on the bars of a R9T and the camera failed after day one (just one of the two cameras, to be precise). The second one I was more careful with, but it suffered the same fate. 

The little snow ride video I did up top, that iphone and camera are still going strong, it's an 8plus.  The phone is in the RamX daily on 50 mile one way commute.

• Haha 1
szurszewski
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I’m hoping that it being helmet mounted and having years of hot fudge sundaes and such under my belt (human damping) :) will cushion the phone from the harshest of vibrations. And again, I’m only going to mount it in targeted areas. We’ll see how it goes, it is amazing what you can do with these new phones.

I have not read of anyone having problems with a phone carried on their person, so you’re probably good. 

16 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

The little snow ride video I did up top, that iphone and camera are still going strong, it's an 8plus.  The phone is in the RamX daily on 50 mile one way commute.

That’s great. I still use my phone bar mounted frequently (I do make sure not to open the camera app underway, but I don’t know if that makes any difference) and this third camera/screen (those pieces come as a unit from Apple) seems fine so far. Maybe the first two were iffy to begin with or maybe I was harder on them? The first replacement was under the one year factory warranty, and they new ones each started a new two year warranty for the repair, so I don’t worry about it too much. 

• Like 1

It’s a little tough knowing when you’ve clicked the camera to record. :dontknow:I thought I had it on running this in the opposite direction. You would of witnessed a pretty good pucker moment when my front wheel slipped on the mud you see at the end of this vid.:spittake: 

• Like 1