Jump to content

Garmin BaseCamp and waypoint notes


Joe Frickin' Friday

Recommended Posts

Joe Frickin' Friday

In BaseCamp, if you open a waypoint, it's possible to add notes and web links to it.  Once that waypoint is downloaded to your GPS receiver, does anyone know if these notes are accessible from there?  

Link to comment
13 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

In BaseCamp, if you open a waypoint, it's possible to add notes and web links to it.  Once that waypoint is downloaded to your GPS receiver, does anyone know if these notes are accessible from there?  

Morning Mitch

 

It depends on your GPS, on my personal GPS units a waypoint "rename" will show up as you ride the route, the added note will be be usable if the waypoint is touched so the little info box pops up,  I'm not sure on the web link as my GPS units  don't have internet access so I see no link show up. Possibly on some of the newer GPS units the web link might show up (you will have to try it on your own GPS unit)

 

On one of my newer GPS units I can set the waypoint to show symbol & comment so it will then show the note comment on the GPS screen as I ride. I try to limit this as much as possible as it really clutters the route.

 

If you just need the web link info for something you could just paste it into the note section as it should then show up when you access the note.

 

Link to comment
Joe Frickin' Friday

OK, thanks for the info.  As a test, I tried downloaded an info-rich waypoint to my GPS (Zumo595), and the notes and web link are not accessible there.  

 

This is coming up because I'm putting together routes for the Driftin' event in Wisconsin in June.  I've been adding notes to the various waypoints I'm including in the GPS file.  Turns out those notes may be useful for someone doing preplanning while they're looking at things in BaseCamp, but probably not so much when they're staring at the GPS receiver while out on a ride.

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

OK, thanks for the info.  As a test, I tried downloaded an info-rich waypoint to my GPS (Zumo595), and the notes and web link are not accessible there.  

 

This is coming up because I'm putting together routes for the Driftin' event in Wisconsin in June.  I've been adding notes to the various waypoints I'm including in the GPS file.  Turns out those notes may be useful for someone doing preplanning while they're looking at things in BaseCamp, but probably not so much when they're staring at the GPS receiver while out on a ride.

Evening Mitch

 

Did you click on the waypoint in Base Camp, then in the "display" drop-down box change it to "symbol & comment" THEN send it to your GPS? 

Link to comment
Joe Frickin' Friday
3 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Mitch

 

Did you click on the waypoint in Base Camp, then in the "display" drop-down box change it to "symbol & comment" THEN send it to your GPS? 

 

:dopeslap:  Did not.  Wil. try it tomorrow and report back.  

Link to comment
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 3/5/2021 at 5:58 AM, dirtrider said:

On one of my newer GPS units I can set the waypoint to show symbol & comment so it will then show the note comment on the GPS screen as I ride. I try to limit this as much as possible as it really clutters the route.

 

 

Looks like I can't get waypoint notes to show up on the GPS receiver.  In BaseCamp I can set the waypoint to show symbol and comment, but it only shows them within BaseCamp.  No biggie, I'll just tell folks to check out waypoint info for planning purposes while they're still in BaseCamp, before they hit the road.

 

Anyway, thanks again for the tip, DR.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...