IGNORED

Next time you're strapping your bike to a trailer...

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Good advice on securing the long, loose ends of your tie-down straps:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I've always taken the time to tie down the excess strap securely, though not with that technique. I've ruined a few straps early on in my adventures by not doing it, and see it all the time by others on the road.

I like to wrap it and tie it down once or twice at the ratchet also, to prevent it from coming loose if the ratchet fails. I get a little too anal sometimes about my tie downs, but anyone who has lost expensive stuff (a riding lawnmower being one, oops) often is.

And I always say "That ain't goin' nowhere!"

It's mandatory.

• Thanks 1

Good technique! Some of the ratcheting straps I’ve bought recently have a Velcro loop sewn into the end to secure them, but this seems more secure. 

I’ve always tried to pay attention to these things, out of fear that an errant strap could get wrapped up in the rear wheel.

48 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’ve always tried to pay attention to these things, out of fear that an errant strap could get wrapped up in the rear wheel

I had that happen with a jacket sleeve on a motorcycle.

Once.

Luckily, only 30 mph when the rear tire locked and a slow tip over.

That's all it takes to tie everything down double.

• Confused 1

True story:

A friend of mine offered to tie the canoe down on top of my Jeep Wagoneer. I didn't trust him, but said sure, what the hell, a man has to learn sometime.

Gets it all done, proud of himself, walks to the back, gives it a push, and says, "That ain't going nowhere!"

I nod, casually walk to the front and push, it pretty much fell onto the ground in back of the Jeep.

That's when he learned about rope angles when securing kit.

Now, I could have explained that it wasn't going to work, but most people like visuals. He got a visual.

And of course, once retied, we both said, "That ain't going nowhere!"

3 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Well inundat nifty!!!

I've tied mine up, but damn that looks easier.

Of course, I'm going to have to watch it again about four times before I figure it out for real world use 

• Smile 2

so nice looking, but I have been trailering for about 30 years now.  and the best technique (taught to me many years ago) is slight different. 

You will see in the video that he has ratcheted his strap tight.  What I do is take the left over strap, wrap it over the top of the handle part going UNDER the black part, then tie it to the trailer frame.  What this does is secure the ratchet AND take care of most of the loose strapping.  now if you still have a lot left over his technique is nice looking.

szurszewski

...so, making sure I understand his directions, I run a loopy and walk in into a circley dude...then I pull the guy to tighten, and pull the dude to loosen. Got it. 

I usually make the circle he indicates, then flatten it and cable tie it to the tensioned portion of the strap.  Somewhat visible in this photo.  Haven't had one come loose.backfromIndy.thumb.JPG.0814cbeff51340f3c4faad56ecd7cad6.JPG

• 2 months later...

Great idea. I always added a half hitch and then tie it to a foot peg, foot brake lever or center stand. If it is looped on the end pull in the clutch/ front brake handle and slide it over and release. It’ll hold it tight. I use Ancra type tie downs so the half hitch keeps them from ever slipping.