IGNORED

Need help please

Maustarman

Hello everyone,
First timer here... 
got a 2012 R1200R and the other day the throttle body cams/pulleys broke.
Since I learned that’s is a common problem.
Ordered the beemer bits metal cams and installed them. 
(No problem there - I’m taking motorcycles apart and modifying them all of the time) but this is my first BMW.
Out everything back together and now things have gone down to hell. 
Really rough idle and the bike revs up by itself up to 4K rpm.
I’ve checked and double/triple checked that everything is connected correctly and nothing.
Throttle cables and TB cams are moving as they are supposed to no sticking or binding just good.
But I can’t explain or figure out why it revs up by itself.
TB and boots are installed correctly no gaps for air to get there.
Any ideas ? I really would appreciate any guidance.

If it was an 1100 or a 1150 I'd tell you to check to see that the throttle cables are seated correctly at the throttle bodies. But I don't know if a 1200 has the same setup.

4 hours ago, Maustarman said:

Hello everyone,
First timer here... 
got a 2012 R1200R and the other day the throttle body cams/pulleys broke.
Since I learned that’s is a common problem.
Ordered the beemer bits metal cams and installed them. 
(No problem there - I’m taking motorcycles apart and modifying them all of the time) but this is my first BMW.
Out everything back together and now things have gone down to hell. 
Really rough idle and the bike revs up by itself up to 4K rpm.
I’ve checked and double/triple checked that everything is connected correctly and nothing.
Throttle cables and TB cams are moving as they are supposed to no sticking or binding just good.
But I can’t explain or figure out why it revs up by itself.
TB and boots are installed correctly no gaps for air to get there.
Any ideas ? I really would appreciate any guidance.

Morning  Maustarman

You very well might have tight throttle cables, it is easy to pull a cable slightly out of the splitter box so check those first.

Or could be the new cams are slightly larger radius so now your cables are running tight.

Or one of the cables is not totally in the pulley groove (easy to mis-seat one).

Or one, or both, side cables are not fully snapped down into the retaining clips at the throttle body's.

So first thing-- verify that you have some slack in BOTH SIDE throttle cables with engine warm (you need to have a bit of slack there) not much but a little. If you touch a cable & it revvs up then the cable is too tight.

As a test you can advance each side throttle pulley, then completely unseat the cable out of the pulley groove (so cable doesn't follow the pulley groove). Now see if it still revvs up by itself. If it still revvs then you have something wrong with one or both throttle bodies, or your TPS has adjustment or output issues, or  you have a vacuum leak, or you have some sort of stepper issue.

I presume that you didn't loosen or remove the throttle plate screws??? If you did then post back as THAT can give you BIG air flow problems at closed throttle. 

• 2 months later...
Gary E Reynolds

Have you checked your throttle bodies air flow? They need to be adjusted and balanced so that both TB’s are flow at the same rate. I have a meter that checks air flow. Pretty cool.

56 minutes ago, Gary E Reynolds said:

Have you checked your throttle bodies air flow? They need to be adjusted and balanced so that both TB’s are flow at the same rate. I have a meter that checks air flow. Pretty cool.

Afternoon Gary

The OP has a 1200 camhead, those engines have computer controlled idle air control so those should never be manually adjusted for idle air balance (that will really screw them up) . Even for the above idle balance the base idle cross side delta  needs to be included in the above idle cross side balance.