IGNORED

Recommended brake rotors and pads

ed may

Hi all, I'm looking for suggestions on new front and rear pads and rotors.  06 RT. Thanks!!

I'm looking at these on Beemerboneyard as the OEMs are obviously a lot more $$$.

FRONT: EBC Brake Pads 335HH 

New ABM Peak Rotors, Front - 320mm 

REAR: EBC FA363V Rear Brake Pads

New EBC Rotor, Rear - 265mm (out of stock)  ****Available somewhere else???

Can anyone tell me if these are a good choice?  

I'm also a little unsure about the mounting hardware needed on the front rotors.  I recall reading about a changeover in the mounting hardware used.  The new front rotors listed above do come with mounting hardware, but not sure if I also need these- Boneyard offers this, Item# BBBRA97387

New Aftermarket Front Brake Rotor Mounting Shim Washers, Pack of 10

Im a big fan of EBC.  Had an issue once and they couldn't have done more to make me happy, even though it was a dealer service issue.  They stand behind their products.

9 hours ago, ed may said:

Hi all, I'm looking for suggestions on new front and rear pads and rotors.  06 RT. Thanks!!

I'm looking at these on Beemerboneyard as the OEMs are obviously a lot more $$$.

FRONT: EBC Brake Pads 335HH 

New ABM Peak Rotors, Front - 320mm 

REAR: EBC FA363V Rear Brake Pads

New EBC Rotor, Rear - 265mm (out of stock)  ****Available somewhere else???

Can anyone tell me if these are a good choice?  

I'm also a little unsure about the mounting hardware needed on the front rotors.  I recall reading about a changeover in the mounting hardware used.  The new front rotors listed above do come with mounting hardware, but not sure if I also need these- Boneyard offers this, Item# BBBRA97387

Morning Ed

You probably need to get with Beemer Boneyard  (or the somewhere else company) on what you need as far as rotor install package. You have an early 1200RT with servo assist brakes. The early 1200RT's had a re-occurring brake judder issue so BMW offered a revised front brake rotor/rivet package with changed/different attachment rivets (bushings). 

You will probably need the rotor attachment parts that go with your NEW rotors as you can't count on what you have now working.   

Thanks dirtrider.  The mounting hardware is what I was referring to,  thanks for elaborating on that.  I will talk with someone at the boneyard to find out if they know exactly what I need.  The rotors in that package do include mounting hardware,  I'm just not sure if I would need that additional washer kit or even something else.   FYI, I do have a slight brake jutter that I've been living with since I purchased the bike back in 09.  I will measure the hights of mounting lands with a dial indicator once the old rotors are off.

8 minutes ago, ed may said:

Thanks dirtrider.  The mounting hardware is what I was referring to,  thanks for elaborating on that.  I will talk with someone at the boneyard to find out if they know exactly what I need.  The rotors in that package do include mounting hardware,  I'm just not sure if I would need that additional washer kit or even something else.   FYI, I do have a slight brake jutter that I've been living with since I purchased the bike back in 09.  I will measure the hights of mounting lands with a dial indicator once the old rotors are off.

Morning Ed

I have only done a couple of rotor installs on the early BMW 1200 bikes.  I believe that needing that washer package  depends on what front brake rotors that your motorcycle now has. If you have the later (or retrofit) rivet type rotors than you will probably need that washer package. If you have the early (non rivet) type rotors then you might not need the washers on the RT.

If you can figure it out then go that way, if you can't positively figure it out then  my suggestion is to just go ahead & get the washer package (not that much money) then you will have it if you need it. Otherwise just keep it, or send it back for a refund. 

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up, the boneyard ended up having that rear rotor, so I ordered everything I listed on my first post and installed them the other day.  

A few quick notes, if you ever do this job, you will need a long narrow 45 torx for the rear rotor bolts, there's only one spot that the rear diff is notched out to get the socket in there.  A normal stubby torx socket won't.  Also, you might as well order new bolts for the rear rotor, that new rotor doesn't come with them.  I'm pretty sure it's recommended to replace them anyway.  The torx portion of the bolts are bound to get buggered up anyway.  The new bolts come with threadlock on them and they are cheap.  The front rotors are a smidge thicker.  They come with new thicker spacers to accommodate that.  The rotors also come with new wave washers and bolts.  The new aftermarket bolts were shorter, and looked cheaper and weren't even as heavy, weight wise as the old ones.  I cleaned the threads up on the bolts and re used them.  I made sure to clean out all the old threadlocker in the holes in the rear hub and the front wheel.  The front bolts were sketchy coming out because of the threadlocker.  I tried heating them up, but it didn't make much of a difference, and I didn't want to risk ruining the finish on the wheel.  I used blue removable threadlocker on them.  The front rotors are designed to slightly float.  I confirmed this with the new rotors and wave washers.  I did need the optional thin, coated washers that boneyard offers.  They go between the rotor and the front wheel on one side and between the ABS ring and the rotor on the other side.  I did a bunch of controlled stops without heating them up, and they are smooth as butter.  Excellent stopping power.