IGNORED

Mileage question, 2016 12RTLC

EyeBike528

Been a while since I posted so here goes...

I’ve just acquired a used 2016, 12RTLC, 6 K miles, no farkles. She’s only 5 weeks in the barn, two longish rides still some 04DE28B9-5B20-41C2-B2A4-5B0328E48D53.thumb.jpeg.48587d520b038a3c23554571045f46c3.jpegB53B8CF0-F4FB-4476-83AF-C3C236A0A25D.thumb.jpeg.832a0ed6c5c055a0c8d76ee8ff0e6855.jpegsnow here. The trip computer full tank shows 230 mile range, 1/2 tank shows 142 mile range, 1/4 tank shows 62 mile range.  Having just moved my 2010 RT which can do 330 on a 7.1 gal tank, is it normal for a 12RTLC to have just a 230 mile cap? 
Thanks! 

Jim on Long Island,

3rd RT in 12 years

2311CC15-D0FA-43A3-AF44-E05038533554.jpeg

644C1539-0460-4411-A56B-CE84A3B36FE9.jpeg

You mention no farcles...I spotted several from your photos. The bike is loaded!

larger windshield

Corbin saddle

engine and pannier crash guards

highway foot rests

auxiliary lights

side stand foot

additional side view mirrors

fender extender (front)

rider and passenger foot boards

Tank bag

Top case

The estimated range is from full to reserve, which is about 1 gallon of the 6.6 gallon total.  A smaller tank is part of the difference, and the larger aftermarket shield probably does not help, but I think you should be able to do a little better than 230 miles.  You might try resetting the average fuel mileage to get a reading that reflects your riding style.

Depending on how you ride, speed, acceleration, wind, windshield position, weight, etc.  On my wet head running 65mph with little wind I get 48-52 mpg.  Get above 70-75 and it will drop to 45 ish. I plan on fuel at about 250-275 ish.  I can run if I am careful to about 300 miles before gas is needed.

The range remaining indicator will adjust constantly based on your very recent fuel economy, and also your general average economy.  For example, when I first got my RT, it would show ~275 miles of range, and now it starts each full tank with about 300.  But when coasting downhill from Vail Colorado after a fill-up, I gradually picked up range such that after riding about 50 miles, I had a remaining range of over 400 miles!

:thumbsup:

Cap

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2021 at 6:47 PM, Skywagon said:

Depending on how you ride, speed, acceleration, wind, windshield position, weight, etc.  On my wet head running 65mph with little wind I get 48-52 mpg.  Get above 70-75 and it will drop to 45 ish. I plan on fuel at about 250-275 ish.  I can run if I am careful to about 300 miles before gas is needed.

yep - what David said.  Just about word for word.....  but I would have added - ride more for more mileage....he he

Yes, YMMV ... Especially if you're riding mostly on the Island where there's a stop sign or traffic light on nearly every corner (or so it seems) unless you ride only down by the beach or out on the North Fork.  My mileage usually improves when I get off the Island  :18:

On 2/27/2021 at 7:52 PM, EyeBike528 said:

Damn!

By golly you’ve got it! She has a smaller tank after all, only 25L/6.6 US gal.

Cheers all...

That will cut down on range! Not so much on miles per gallon, but definitely range.

If I get 40 mpg, I am happy. 250 miles and the tank indicates it is empty. It usually improves in the mountains, since the top speeds are lower.

But don't forget, tires don't last for me either. It's a mental defect people tell me. :4607:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
RecentConvert

Typical two up riding at 70-75 will get 47-49 mpg.  At altitude it goes way up, have touched 59 once.  Above 85 mph, it drops like a stone.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Skywagon said:

One other thing... when I can find ethanol free gas mileage increases 3-4mpg

I've noticed the same thing.  I don't care so much about the actual MPG.  I just like the longer range the MPG gives me.

All stations in my area have ethanol in their 89 octane.  If you want ethanol free, some stations have 87 ethanol free where they skip the 89 octane.  But 87 is too low for the RT.  About 75% of the stations that have 91/92 octane will have it in ethanol free.  So that's the route I go.

• Like 1

92Merc...exactly...for the range when on a trip.  It's funny I can usually find it in the country stops or Buckees.  Not so much in the city.  It's usually close to a $1/more per gallon but worth it to me.

Sure, ethanol-free gas is more at the pump, but you paying for the actual gasoline itself.   The price on the blended fuel makes the gasoline more  per gallon because of the 10% ethanol added in.  Factor the gasoline only to compare, because the ethanol is cheap (somewhat free, IMO.)

I’ll have to check as it been a while since I bothered to note mileage.   If memory serves when I ride in tame mode my 2015 RT gets high 40s mpg .   Riding frisky, with lots of twisting on the fun dial it gets something like~38mpg.   My long term average on the computer which includes city miles is 34 ish mpg.   I guess I like to twist the fun dial a lot!

• Like 1

I have a 2016 RTW and can do 250 miles on a tank with little stress and if pushed can get close to 300 miles on a tank.  Twice I pushed it to about 290 and still had miles showing on the range. 

On 2/27/2021 at 9:28 PM, migrant said:

You mention no farcles...I spotted several from your photos. The bike is loaded!

larger windshield

Corbin saddle

engine and pannier crash guards

highway foot rests

auxiliary lights

side stand foot

additional side view mirrors

fender extender (front)

rider and passenger foot boards

Tank bag

Top case

OK, Migrant got my number, just a few add on's, I kind of lost count I've been doing this so long.  Just added, dual 12 volt cig. adapters, finally my Garmin Zumo, and 3 Ram Balls this weekend. 

Thank you all my brotha's.  It's all coming together now maybe 240-260 is it, but.... hoping this weekend [3/13/21] hit's 60 degrees and the plan is to point her west towards Shippensburg, PA, [240 miles], Or turn her south to Washington DC, [248 miles] and do a true experiment and ride the tank to zero.  I'm hoping for 280-300 miles per tank but who can tell.  If I can't manage fuel smartly, it will take me 4 fuel up's to reach 1 K miles vs. 3 fuel ups in the old 2010 Lady to reach 1 K miles.

These new numbers will seriously cut in my plans to do an IBA Coast To Coast 50 [2312 miles, in under 50 hours] this summer of Covid relief!

2 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Time for an auxiliary tank...

Doh.... I knew someone was gonna say that next! 

Any recommendations for an Aux Tank?

Thanks Hoss....

52 minutes ago, EyeBike528 said:

Doh.... I knew someone was gonna say that next! 

Any recommendations for an Aux Tank?

Thanks Hoss....

Nope, I'm no help there, but in the past I had seen something with the Iron Butt riders and their auxiliary tanks and accessories. I'm sure there is a forum or two that will have some info. My guess is that one or two people here might have some info.

This one looks similar to the one I saw.

Auxiliary tank

If you slow down and lower the wind shield, remove the top case, you may very well can achieve 50 mpg or more. But I am not going to try.

The only time I ever got over 50 mpg, was following a buffalo herd in Yellowstone park. But I don't ride to save fuel, otherwise I would buy a 125 scooter. :3:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1

Ever notice that the stereotypical Prius driver, goes under the speed limit to maybe just the speed limit and when you are getting past them, their eyes are glued to the Econ meter on the dash.   I guess whatever floats your boat is all good.

On 3/2/2021 at 2:48 PM, Bernie said:

If I get 40 mpg, I am happy. 250 miles and the tank indicates it is empty. It usually improves in the mountains, since the top speeds are lower.

But don't forget, tires don't last for me either. It's a mental defect people tell me. :4607:

I rarely get UNDER 40 mpg, but I rarely cruise above 75 mph.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from my Full Tank Maximum Range Riding challenge.

in a nutshell:

Date , Sunday, 3/21/21,

Start Holbrook, NY

Turn around: Clinton Corners, NY, USA.

Finish: Holbrook NY.

Details: 

I left this morning at 5:40 AM, with a full tank of gas, 6.6 gallons 93 octane gasoline, odometer set to zero, and “fuel range” reading 284 miles.
Leaving Long Island I planned a northern route up the Taconic State Parkway and back, distance up 122 miles, distance back 123 miles tank full capacity.
At 5 hours of riding, odometer reading 256 miles, I felt a buck for the first time and I assumed I was sucking in air, range read “0”.  

With only 4 stops total for ice forming on WS, one bathroom break, film 2 roadside recordings, I stopped at 10:47 am, and refueled my bike w two, 1.5 L 93 Gasoline in PRIMUS bottles and reached home safely.

Other stats:

highest elevation: 551 ft, Clinton Corners, NY

coldest temp: 29 deg

warmest temp: 41 deg. 
fastest speeds: 78 mph

ave mpg, 41.6

total trip: 5 hours, 7 mins

total stops: 4: 1 ice, 1 br, 2 recordings

tire pressure: 37F, 36R.

total range: 256 miles

Bike & equipment

2016 BMW R1200RT LC, 6400

miles. 

Windsheild: PUIG

floorboards: Wumderlich

heated gear; Gerbings

highway pegs: yes, didn’t use.

heated seat and grips : Yes. 

Hand mits: No

Seat: Corbin.

Hope you get to where you are going, and get there safe!

Jim

ps: video to follow

• Like 1
7 hours ago, EyeBike528 said:

Just back from my Full Tank Maximum Range Riding challenge.

in a nutshell:

Date , Sunday, 3/21/21,

Start Holbrook, NY

Turn around: Clinton Corners, NY, USA.

Finish: Holbrook NY.

Details: 

I left this morning at 5:40 AM, with a full tank of gas, 6.6 gallons 93 octane gasoline, odometer set to zero, and “fuel range” reading 284 miles.
Leaving Long Island I planned a northern route up the Taconic State Parkway and back, distance up 122 miles, distance back 123 miles tank full capacity.
At 5 hours of riding, odometer reading 256 miles, I felt a buck for the first time and I assumed I was sucking in air, range read “0”.  

With only 4 stops total for ice forming on WS, one bathroom break, film 2 roadside recordings, I stopped at 10:47 am, and refueled my bike w two, 1.5 L 93 Gasoline in PRIMUS bottles and reached home safely.

Other stats:

highest elevation: 551 ft, Clinton Corners, NY

coldest temp: 29 deg

warmest temp: 41 deg. 
fastest speeds: 78 mph

ave mpg, 41.6

total trip: 5 hours, 7 mins

total stops: 4: 1 ice, 1 br, 2 recordings

tire pressure: 37F, 36R.

total range: 256 miles

Bike & equipment

2016 BMW R1200RT LC, 6400

miles. 

Windsheild: PUIG

floorboards: Wumderlich

heated gear; Gerbings

highway pegs: yes, didn’t use.

heated seat and grips : Yes. 

Hand mits: No

Seat: Corbin.

Hope you get to where you are going, and get there safe!

Jim

ps: video to follow

Not that this will make a big difference, but why are you running a rear tire pressure of 36 PSI (I assume)?

Hi Bernie, I was told by my mechanic at Max BMW, Troy, NY that 36-37 psi F and R is average, and 40-42 psi for long highway use and fully loaded luggage.  

Hi Skywagon, not sure I follow your comment, what is “Mine is a 14.” Actually mean?  However, if you are getting 300 miles on 6.6 gallons, that certainly is impressive!   Just that comment alone leads me to think I may have my tank pulled to check her fuel lines and make sure the draw tube is truly at the bottom. 

2E8FAAC4-B8DD-4341-BA46-D1DBA22564EA.png

The 2016 RT manual recommends:

image.png.7ddc1fcf84a54a05d909da12fa67a383.png

The  range number actually indicates the distance before you begin using what BMW considers a "reserve", which is about a gallon. I've rolled into a few gas stations 35-40 anxious miles after first seeing the range indicated as "---" with the engine still running. If you can reset the average consumption at each fill up, the range number seems to be more accurate.

1 hour ago, EyeBike528 said:

Just that comment alone leads me to think I may have my tank pulled to check her fuel lines and make sure the draw tube is truly at the bottom. 

No need. Just fill the bike up to where it was before and see how much fuel goes in.

I do this at every refill and log the figures fuel in vs miles covered. Calculate the running mpg from that. In 23000 miles my '17 RT is giving 61 (UK) MPG which is about 50 (US) MPG.

However, my average speed is considerably less thank what you did on that run.

Eyebike... 14 is reference to my bike year 2014. Not to refute your BMW mechanic but 36 rear is too low period. Try what the manufacture says as do most people here do. 42 rear. Your mileage will improve Heck if I’m loaded up and a long trip I go 44. At 36rear you are going to have premature tire wear and handling will not be as good

Mileage..I’ve squeezed 315 miles as my best. I rode that way to get the most I could. I typically start looking for fuel between 250 -280. Andy is correct on the fuel warning. Comes on at reserve which is about 1 gallon. I’ve only had that happen a couple of times and could not put more than 6 gallons in. You have to be very patient at the pump to get it all the way full to the middle of the filler

DR will remind us not to store it that full as it creates other problems. I only rim fill it if on a trip

He does have a PUIG windshield, I'm sure that cuts into mileage and that would be compounded by speed.

I run 38psi front and 42psi rear.  But don't ask me about tire life, I'm in Bernie's mileage club.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Skywagon said:

...You have to be very patient at the pump to get it all the way full to the middle of the filler...

Or, you can perform the double-secret-probation "Drill a vent hole in your filler neck mod" after which you can quickly top the tank:clap:

Strata. That is the pressure I run too. Well you may have seen a different post by me on poking a hole in my PR4GT a week or so ago. I plugged it to get home and decided to change it @ 13,000 miles. Still has some left but I’m not real keen on riding with the plug. It’s time for service so changing tires. Terry talked me into T31GT’s. Will give them a whirl and report back. Haven’t been off Michelin’s since ~2000

Running in colder temperatures does drop my fuel mileage also. It normally improves above 50F.

As for the tire pressure, all the WetHead RT’s have a recommended 36 psi front, cold and 42 psi rear, cold (68 degree F/20 degree C). The older RT’s had a range of air pressures based on pay load.

Increase your air pressure and retest. If I get 40 mpg I am happy.

I was getting mid-to-low 30's on my way back home from Central Florida this morning.  Fierce headwinds on I-75 and I-10.

For those inquiring minds:  Click Below.

Thanks Migrant, LIrider, Bernie, Hoss, Ikraus, Cap and everyone who contributed all of your invaluable inputs on this experiment of mine!

Hope to see you out there soon.

Ride Safe

Jim 

• Like 2

Nice job Jim!!  I've never tried to run my RT out of gas ... I get antsy when it shows less than 30 miles remaining and usually go look for gas at that point but it's good to know it's still got a bit further to go.  Congrats as well for avoiding all the potholes that the Winter has blessed us with on the LIE (especially out here in Suffolk county ... I'm out just a little further than you @ exit 63).  I do look forward to seeing another RT rider out on the Island ... not too many of us out here :18:

Ride Safe,

Charlie

Nice to know this info if I find my self far from a gas pump.  It was probably for the better you didn't push it to bone dry as the fuel pump can be damaged from overhearing if let to run dry for too long.

Jim.. interesting video. Something is a little odd on the calculation. I think you said you got 258 miles on 6.6 gallons. That would be an average of 39mpg. At your lowest reported of 41 mpg indicated you should have made it 270 miles

I suspect you got better than 39mpg which would suggest tank didn’t have 6.6 gallons. Mathematically something is odd. 

I average 48mpg. If I ride at the 58-60mph number you were doing for a while I get north of 50 mpg

Getting the tank completely full is kind of hard. Center stand, little bits of fuel until it settles, and after maybe ten tries can I get to the top of the filler neck where it absolutely will not hold another drop

Great video and glad you found a safe place to refuel

Don't forget that one tank doesn't necessarily tell the whole story, average it out over at least 5 tankfils, preferably 10, keep good records, and see where you come out. I've put 100,000 miles on mine, I do a mental calculation every time I fill, I have a pretty good idea what to expect by now, some tanks just do better than others, I don't worry about a couple miles less per gallon on one tank.

Hi SW, Hi Hoss.

Interesting indeed SW.  Though the tank cap is listed 6.6 gals, I think the last gallon I am learning is 'in reserve', so we really never see that. 

I was really cooking thru 5.5 gallons of gas with 1.0 gal that I never will see, as the RANGE trickles down to '0' Zero. 

With that said, let's say I burned 256 miles, on 5.5 gals.  Then the Ave mpg was 256/5.5 = 48 mpg.    Now that ain't bad, considering 1/2 my journey was uphill all the way to the mountians.

I like Hoss's theory, that one tank doesn't tell the whole story and on that thought, I had some side input from another rider in a PM. 

He asked me, what was I running on the alternator at 29-41 degrees of riding weather?  

I had a lot of sh*t plugged in.... 

So, I'm running this tally in my head: 

Cell phone charger and cell phone running.

Garmin Zumo GPS

Heated Seat-Front

Heated Grips

PIAA 270 Lights (2  3W LED's)

Gerbings Heated Clothing, Gloves/Jacket/Pants

[So that makes 6 so far]

Can this many electrical appliances decrease my mpg and hence my overall distance value?

Any thoughts...?

Thanks guys!

Eye.. no clue on the electrical. I’m not sure if load makes any difference. 

Not sure I understand your reserve analogy. If your bike coughed, you emptied the reserve. I don’t know if the warning light that says zero miles includes or excludes the reserve, but if completely full you should be able to do the 255 easily unless you are heavy fisted, lots of wind, hills, or the windshield raised high

Eye, You said you added two 1.5 litre containers of fuel when it coughed, did you then fill the tank to get total gallons used?

Hi SW, 

Im not sure if the reserve includes or excludes the reserve either...

Hi Hoss,

I just filled her up now, so let’s do the math.

Sunday I poured in 3L, which is .794 Gal so let’s call that .8 Gal. (And rode home 3 miles) 

I just filled her up NOW and I can’t believe this, but she took 6.2 Gal on the center stand!

6.2 G + 0.8 G = 7.0 Gal. 

Can this be true, bc her listed tank capacity is reported to be 6.6 Gal.

I think SW may have something, the listed 6.6 Gal may not include some in reserve. 

CA4B4CC2-B1BE-465A-8082-CDC9CBD8DFFD.jpeg

A7C16C63-F837-4F20-9EC0-E1C27923300A.jpeg

Yes, it can happen, a little difference in calculations can add up, and capacity listings are not a perfect science.

So how many total miles?

The listed capacity of 6.6 gallons would include the reserve of approximately one gallon. Does a light come on when you hit reserve? Count on about 40 miles max when it happens.

The key to figuring gas mileage is to fill it the same way every time, or at least be aware of the different ways it can affect a fill. That's why a long term ten tank average will give you the best measure.

What you really want to pay attention to is if you suddenly have a big difference in mileage on a consistent basis (one tank might not matter, things happen), pointing to an issue to be looked into.

I think the light comes on at reserve levels. I get a warning of having a range of around 45-50 miles. This range counts down quicker than the actual miles ridden. But I have gone past 0 miles range on the display. I do think the reserve is around one gallon (US), because I can get at least another 40+ miles.

On a different note, I get better gas mileage using the Dyna Mode, then the Rain Mode. Why? I guess my impatience cause me to twist the grip a little further, causing an increase in fuel consumption. Or the use of Rain Mode is really not the same as a Eco Mode.

Wayne Johnson

I have found you can get a little more fuel in to start on the center stand vs the side stand. i have run my cam head and shift cam down to as little as 2 miles while commuting and knowing where i was going to gas