MachineJoe

does anyone else have trouble color matching the top case?

MachineJoe

I'm having trouble with my local paint shop matching the platinum bronze. I gave them the paint code but it is coming up somewhere between the original silver and platinum bronze.

They don't want to repaint it as they feel they mixed the colors according to the code.

What am I missing?

I gave them platinum bronze #A53

Bodhi65

I asked Max Bmw in Ct. to have mine painted by the shop they use.  Did a great job. I believe it cost me in the ballpark of $300.

• Like 1

realshelby

Color matching by formula is far from an exact science. Too many different brands of paint with their different formulations. That should be considered a starting point. Or better yet just use the paint shops paint camera ( thingy that looks at paint and tells you what the formula is ) and go from there. If you don't leave the bike (car) they cannot really judge a proper paint match. The top box can be off a bit and still look just fine. 

• Like 1

TEWKS
Just now, realshelby said:

The top box can be off a bit and still look just fine

Mine is off a shade or two, the painter offered to redo it but I said close enough. I often second guess that decision but as long as I don’t tell anyone, D’oh :dopeslap:it’s hard to see.

• Like 1

92Merc

I had my Ebony Metalic color matched from a local shop that specializes in boats/campers/motorcycles.  He used a gun to get the color.  We guessed at how much metal flake to put in.  To my eyes, it was a perfect match.

• Like 2

MachineJoe

Thanks guys,  I'll have to take a bike panel to him so he can get his camera on it. This will be my fifth time out to his shop. :4607:

MachineJoe
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Mine is off a shade or two, the painter offered to redo it but I said close enough. I often second guess that decision but as long as I don’t tell anyone, D’oh :dopeslap:it’s hard to see.

Normally I'm not picky about stuff but I know I'll be looking at it every time I get on the bike.

They are frustrated with me as well as I've taken it back twice for having lint (or whatever it might be) trapped between the paint and clear coat. Now it's the color.

Ugh .... sometimes ya just ......:ohboy: 

• Like 1

9Mary7

I have had great luck with Colorite....

• Like 1

AndyS
13 hours ago, MachineJoe said:

Normally I'm not picky about stuff but I know I'll be looking at it every time I get on the bike.

They are frustrated with me as well as I've taken it back twice for having lint (or whatever it might be) trapped between the paint and clear coat. Now it's the color.

But why shouldn't you expect the best. Paintwork is NOT cheap, so it should be blemish free.

• Like 1

realshelby
16 hours ago, MachineJoe said:

What you need is another paint shop! Seriously. I normally do my own painting. But something like a top case costs me more to buy paint than a shop can mix a small amount and do the job. They spray clear every day so they can just sit it beside another job and do both for next to nothing. 

MachineJoe

So I take RT to the paint shop where they have my top case to show them how mismatched the colors are. Much to my surprise in the direct sun it’s a perfect match. I take everything home with me after thanking them and park the bike in the garage. By this time the clouds make up the typical Ohio sky and only indirect light is coming into the garage. I look at the top case and the silver is back. I threw the cover over the bike and went inside.

Can paint tone be effected so much in direct and indirect light? :dontknow:

Boxflyer

I think so, especially when there’s metallic in play. 
The pressure at which the paint is applied dictates the angle that the reflective particles lay and therefore look under different types of light.

Sorry for your troubles, maybe I just got lucky with my paint shop as mine appears the same as the panniers and other body panels from all angles in any light. 
It must be maddening. 

Skywagon

I have not used these guys nor is this an endorsement.  I saw these guys on another site and several people said their paint match was good.  They even have one they say for the odd color ebony

ScratchesHappen | Premium Touch Up Paint Kits