does anyone else have trouble color matching the top case?

MachineJoe

MachineJoe

I'm having trouble with my local paint shop matching the platinum bronze. I gave them the paint code but it is coming up somewhere between the original silver and platinum bronze.

They don't want to repaint it as they feel they mixed the colors according to the code.

What am I missing?

I gave them platinum bronze #A53

I asked Max Bmw in Ct. to have mine painted by the shop they use.  Did a great job. I believe it cost me in the ballpark of $300.

• Like 1
realshelby

Color matching by formula is far from an exact science. Too many different brands of paint with their different formulations. That should be considered a starting point. Or better yet just use the paint shops paint camera ( thingy that looks at paint and tells you what the formula is ) and go from there. If you don't leave the bike (car) they cannot really judge a proper paint match. The top box can be off a bit and still look just fine. 

• Like 1
Just now, realshelby said:

The top box can be off a bit and still look just fine

Mine is off a shade or two, the painter offered to redo it but I said close enough. I often second guess that decision but as long as I don’t tell anyone, D’oh :dopeslap:it’s hard to see.

• Like 1

I had my Ebony Metalic color matched from a local shop that specializes in boats/campers/motorcycles.  He used a gun to get the color.  We guessed at how much metal flake to put in.  To my eyes, it was a perfect match.

• Like 2
MachineJoe

Thanks guys,  I'll have to take a bike panel to him so he can get his camera on it. This will be my fifth time out to his shop. :4607:

MachineJoe
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Mine is off a shade or two, the painter offered to redo it but I said close enough. I often second guess that decision but as long as I don’t tell anyone, D’oh :dopeslap:it’s hard to see.

Normally I'm not picky about stuff but I know I'll be looking at it every time I get on the bike.

They are frustrated with me as well as I've taken it back twice for having lint (or whatever it might be) trapped between the paint and clear coat. Now it's the color.

Ugh .... sometimes ya just ......:ohboy: 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, MachineJoe said:

Normally I'm not picky about stuff but I know I'll be looking at it every time I get on the bike.

They are frustrated with me as well as I've taken it back twice for having lint (or whatever it might be) trapped between the paint and clear coat. Now it's the color.

But why shouldn't you expect the best. Paintwork is NOT cheap, so it should be blemish free.

• Like 1
realshelby
16 hours ago, MachineJoe said:

What you need is another paint shop! Seriously. I normally do my own painting. But something like a top case costs me more to buy paint than a shop can mix a small amount and do the job. They spray clear every day so they can just sit it beside another job and do both for next to nothing. 

MachineJoe

So I take RT to the paint shop where they have my top case to show them how mismatched the colors are. Much to my surprise in the direct sun it’s a perfect match. I take everything home with me after thanking them and park the bike in the garage. By this time the clouds make up the typical Ohio sky and only indirect light is coming into the garage. I look at the top case and the silver is back. I threw the cover over the bike and went inside.

Can paint tone be effected so much in direct and indirect light? :dontknow:

I think so, especially when there’s metallic in play. 
The pressure at which the paint is applied dictates the angle that the reflective particles lay and therefore look under different types of light.

Sorry for your troubles, maybe I just got lucky with my paint shop as mine appears the same as the panniers and other body panels from all angles in any light. 
It must be maddening. 

When car panels are painted, say a door only, the paint on the sorrounding panels is often blended in on the last coat to avoid the abrupt appearance of new paint verses "weathered".

MachineJoe

There is always a certain amount of experience needed to do most things well. While it's not a terrible paint job it certainly isn't perfect as far as color match (excluding the few pieces of lint that became involved)

I'll have to ride with it this summer and if it still bothers me in the fall I'll take it to another shop to have it redone.

Thanks for all your input, I learned a little bit more over this and that's always a good thing

• 2 weeks later...
TPadden

Sorry about the topic drift but for those who have taken the top case apart, a question:  Before I drill a stop light, autlocking top box I'd appreciate confirmation that there is no antenna or wiring above the hinges.  I installed bungie buddies in that location on a non-electric top box and it doesn't look like the box is thick enough for anything, confirmation that I wouldn't be wrecking anything by drilling in that area would be great.   

Tom

51021137022_cb11d04723_z.jpg

MachineJoe

Hey Tom, 

I would suggest taking  the lid off the hinges as well as taking the backrest and inner shell off of the lid. It’s very simple to take apart, then you’ll see what’s going on in there. Mine is a 2017 so might be a smidge different. I think a total of 8 screws

TPadden
2 minutes ago, MachineJoe said:

Hey Tom, 

I would suggest taking  the lid off the hinges as well as taking the backrest and inner shell off of the lid. It’s very simple to take apart, then you’ll see what’s going on in there. Mine is a 2017 so might be a smidge different. I think a total of 8 screws

Thanks - OK, I'll take it apart :18:

16 hours ago, MachineJoe said:

I would suggest taking  the lid off the hinges as well as taking the backrest and inner shell off of the lid....

I removed my upper lid, and removed the backrest.  How to extract the inner liner from the upper lid was not obvious, and I was concerned I would break something.  But my painter did a nice job without removing the inner piece.

TPadden

Happy you posted that as I tried to take the non-electric case apart.  Removed all the screws I found, couldn't pop off inner from outer, and didn't want to break any unseen "tabs".  Put the screws back in and drilled.

Haven't tried the wired case yet and that's really why I asked.

Tom

TPadden
33 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

@TPadden  Have you viewed this  HOW-TO thread yet?

Thanks for pointing me towards it; a bit more complicated than just drilling two tiny holes, but doesn't appear to be too complicated or beyond my meager capabilities.  It is virtually either a one minute job with no disassembly required or a longer job with some dissembly required - hence the question.

Does anyone know if the area above the hinges is clear of wire or antennas in the new case?

If not I'll just have to take it apart and see. image.gif.93d03de36e273ef0a614e29a739ba6e0.gif So far though no one has said DON'T DO IT - there's wires or an antenna there.  :ohboy:

Tom 

wbw6cos

Yeah, that thread really did NOT point to any electrical advice.  Sorry.   You may want to start your own thread to see if any of the esteemed board members can shed a little more light on your issue.

• Like 2