IGNORED

I removed my ABS/power assist yesterday, and I love it!

SJ David

OK, the whole thing took 2 hrs and 40 from start to test ride. Loved it. It is so much better without the power assist module,  the ABS we will see but never had it until this bike and I have been riding for over 30 years.

It was super easy, followed the first post in this https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/232002-Simple-NO-COST-servo-removal-of-1150-IABS-system

by DaveH, just for the removal of the module and connecting the lines back......yes it is true I did not spend a dime either doing it, not for fittings or new lines or even a relay, I used the ABS relay since it no longer has a job. However I went to post #163 by tadhgocuilleain so as not to cut any wires or have to remove any bulbs and make a nifty small connection for the electrical changes. It was super easy. Finished ABS harness connector complete is shown below. I just plugged it in and everything worked as it should.

super easy electrical.png

Hey that’s great!   I’m sure that if I can keep my ‘03 RT running long enough I will need to do the same.   Currently my iABS works great.    

thanks! 

I like my '03 RT's brakes much better without the assist than with. One thing I've discovered I do need to be careful with is the rear brake. It's pretty strong and a couple of times I've locked the rear wheel and had to quickly lighten up on the brake pedal. Before I removed the ABS module my rear brake pedal did very little.

32 minutes ago, RogerC60 said:

I like my '03 RT's brakes much better without the assist than with. One thing I've discovered I do need to be careful with is the rear brake. It's pretty strong and a couple of times I've locked the rear wheel and had to quickly lighten up on the brake pedal. Before I removed the ABS module my rear brake pedal did very little.

Morning Roger

The somewhat cure for that is to install the 1150R (not RT) organic rear brake pads. Tames the rear brake down considerably. I have done this a number of times & it works pretty good (I can't speak to aftermarket pads though as I only use organic BMW R rear pads).

You can also chamfer back the outer perimeter of your present rear brake pads to reduce the pad to rotor contact area. 

Your 03 1150RT should already have the larger 14.3mm  piston rear master cylinder, if by chance it has the smaller piston (early) cylinder then the rear will be pretty darn aggressive. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

OK, just a follow up. Almost a month later, about 1100 miles later (I ride 75+ miles a day 4 to 5 days a week) and I have to say I find my R1150RT to be a much improved bike. I really do enjoy it so much more.

I would say overall, well worth it in my book. Better braking, better feel and a whole lot less problems, especially when time to do the 6000 mile service.

Yep, removed everything. There is a link in the first post after I did this mod, he tells you everything you need to know about removing all the servo assist module, then a second link tells the best way to do your electronics.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/232002-Simple-NO-COST-servo-removal-of-1150-IABS-system  the how to information on removing your servo assist and going to manual braking....I have done it and recommend it.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/232002-Simple-NO-COST-servo-removal-of-1150-IABS-system?p=4454756&viewfull=1#post4454756   the best electronic and easiest way to get your brake lights working along with out having to remove bulbs from your dash.....I have done it and recommend it.

P.S. I used the removed relay from the braking system in the electronic hook up. I did not purchase any parts what so ever for the conversion.

Edited by SJ David
added post script
  • Like 1

I did the same on my 2002 R1150RS back in the winter of 2019. 

Have not missed the ABS one bit since. 

No more unnecessary electrical drain before startup, no more abrupt braking at parking lot speed.

Lost about 6 lb. of dead weight near the fuel tank... maybe just in my head, but bike does feel lighter.