Ponch

Question About Recall

Ponch

I just made an appointment for the fuel pump recall. They said they need to inspect it to see which ring was put in and depending on which one, they will replace the fuel pump. I thought this was a replace fuel pump, period. I'll have to look for the letter I got, but that was my impression. 

w2ge

My dealer said same thing, must be inspected first... on top of it, are they just replacing with the stock fuel pump, because if I understand correctly, there’s no replacement currently available? Which seems ludicrous, but... we are talking BMW).

I believe I first received notive about this recall last April, 2020. :4316:

dirtrider
1 hour ago, Ponch said:

I just made an appointment for the fuel pump recall. They said they need to inspect it to see which ring was put in and depending on which one, they will replace the fuel pump. I thought this was a replace fuel pump, period. I'll have to look for the letter I got, but that was my impression. 

Afternoon Ponch

This is the first that I have heard of BMW qualifying it that way but could make some sense as BMW is not replacing the pumps on motorcycles that had the pump replaced during the first recall, or had the pump replaced due to leaking after the first recall was done.

Might be enough difference in how the ring was installed or what the ring looks like on a new pump vs just the ring replaced. 

You would think BMW has records on that but being BMW you never know. 

I have one of my 1200  hexheads that had the pump replaced, on that motorcycle I haven't even received a recall notification. 

Ponch
2 hours ago, w2ge said:

My dealer said same thing, must be inspected first... on top of it, are they just replacing with the stock fuel pump, because if I understand correctly, there’s no replacement currently available? Which seems ludicrous, but... we are talking BMW).

I believe I first received notive about this recall last April, 2020. :4316:

I received my notice in September I think. 

Ponch
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Ponch

This is the first that I have heard of BMW qualifying it that way but could make some sense as BMW is not replacing the pumps on motorcycles that had the pump replaced during the first recall, or had the pump replaced due to leaking after the first recall was done.

Might be enough difference in how the ring was installed or what the ring looks like on a new pump vs just the ring replaced. 

You would think BMW has records on that but being BMW you never know. 

I have one of my 1200  hexheads that had the pump replaced, on that motorcycle I haven't even received a recall notification. 

I was under the impression it was an automatic replacement. Maybe they made adjustments to their thinking. 

dirtrider
3 minutes ago, Ponch said:

I was under the impression it was an automatic replacement. Maybe they made adjustments to their thinking. 

Afternoon Ponch

This was from some very early info I recieved____

According to the NHTSA recall order issued on 10 August 2020, the recall affects "motorcycles that were repaired under recall 13V-617 with the support ring remedy"  and where the fuel pump was not replaced at a later date. 

Ponch
15 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Ponch

This was from some very early info I recieved____

According to the NHTSA recall order issued on 10 August 2020, the recall affects "motorcycles that were repaired under recall 13V-617 with the support ring remedy"  and where the fuel pump was not replaced at a later date. 

Yup. That's mine. I had the ring put in some years ago and the pump was never replaced. 

dirtrider
13 minutes ago, Ponch said:

Yup. That's mine. I had the ring put in some years ago and the pump was never replaced. 

Afternoon Ponch 

According to the info I have then you should have a replaceable pump. 

On my one 1200RT that had the pump replaced after first recall I think it will be an inspection item as (I think)  they are also replacing the replacement pumps that were originally built with a pneumatically installed reinforcement ring when built.

• Like 1

Boyd's Auto

The recall letter was pretty clear - replace fuel pump assembly - including the pump, the dealer did not have to inspect, if the VIN # was included within the recall the work was done. The dealer picked my bike up and delivered it after - no charge.

Mike

• Like 1

w2ge

Not what my dealer is saying :27:.  “Must first inspect...”

On the first recall mine just had the flange ring installed.  I Still have the original fuel pump

9Mary7

Per BMW they will replace it under your circumstances.... Good luck with that dealer...... sounds like they aren't too bright:5147:

• Smile 1

Ponch
4 hours ago, Boyd's Auto said:

The recall letter was pretty clear - replace fuel pump assembly - including the pump, the dealer did not have to inspect, if the VIN # was included within the recall the work was done. The dealer picked my bike up and delivered it after - no charge.

Mike

I have to drop it off. One hour for the inspection, 1-2 hours more if it needs replacement. 

Ponch
4 hours ago, w2ge said:

Not what my dealer is saying :27:.  “Must first inspect...”

On the first recall mine just had the flange ring installed.  I Still have the original fuel pump

Same here, but this recall covers replacement of the pump. 

Ponch
22 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

Per BMW they will replace it under your circumstances.... Good luck with that dealer...... sounds like they aren't too bright:5147:

It's either that or go to Tucson.  That's over 100 miles away for me. 

Ponch

I emailed BMW. We'll see what they say. 

BrianM

These are the instructions from NHTSA. It does not require the pump to be replaced in all cases.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V471-9083.pdf

It appears that if you have no metal ring, or the ring added in the last recall - new pump.

If your pump has been replaced with a newer pump with the metal ring - it may not be replaced.

Ponch
11 hours ago, BrianM said:

These are the instructions from NHTSA. It does not require the pump to be replaced in all cases.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V471-9083.pdf

It appears that if you have no metal ring, or the ring added in the last recall - new pump.

If your pump has been replaced with a newer pump with the metal ring - it may not be replaced.

As I said, I just had the ring put on, no new pump last time.  Thing is, that should be part of BMWs records if the dealer looked up my VIN, at least that's what I would think. 

BrianM
1 hour ago, Ponch said:

As I said, I just had the ring put on, no new pump last time.  Thing is, that should be part of BMWs records if the dealer looked up my VIN, at least that's what I would think. 

The inspection is to look at the installed ring. there are 2 rings, one with a flat section on the OD, one without. It is not clear if the second type of ring was ever installed on existing pumps on motorcycles or not. They are inspecting for the ring type.

dirtrider
1 hour ago, Ponch said:

Morning Ponch

You would think so but I'm in the other boat with one of my 1200 Hedhead bikes, I had the ring installed, wasn't happy with the dealer installed ring so  later had a new pump installed (due to me reporting a random fuel leakage). 

My warranty records probably show the new pump install  but possibly don't show a pump compliant with the new requirements. (there were some new pumps made that didn't have properly installed rings as built)

One of the problems with that darn ring was leaving it up to the dealer tec to  determine if the cracks in the outlet boss were small (then install the ring) or large (then install a new pump assy.). The quick & easy way out for the tec was to just quickly clamp on that ring then send the rider on his way.  That allowed the tec to quickly get back to very high profit  maintenance work.

Ponch
36 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Ponch

You would think so but I'm in the other boat with one of my 1200 Hedhead bikes, I had the ring installed, wasn't happy with the dealer installed ring so  later had a new pump installed (due to me reporting a random fuel leakage). 

My warranty records probably show the new pump install  but possibly don't show a pump compliant with the new requirements. (there were some new pumps made that didn't have properly installed rings as built)

One of the problems with that darn ring was leaving it up to the dealer tec to  determine if the cracks in the outlet boss were small (then install the ring) or large (then install a new pump assy.). The quick & easy way out for the tec was to just quickly clamp on that ring then send the rider on his way.  That allowed the tec to quickly get back to very high profit  maintenance work.

Compounding it. I replaced the female QD fitting with a metal one from BBY. A few years ago, I had a leak. Victory BMW had done the original recall, not owned by RideNow and I emailed them for a service appointment, no reply. Called them, left a message for service that it was leaking. I get a call be from sales if I want to buy a new bike. So I decided to fix it myself. From what I can tell, the thread dope they used dissolved. I just replaced the female QD. I wonder if that will be problematic here. You have to be careful installing it. Anyway, one of the local MOA members worked in sales at GOAZ and RideNow and he said it's no surprise. Even GOAZ ghosted me and I had to go down there to make an appointment. Maybe they don't like working on older bikes and want to push sales. So anyway, I checked out some of the new bikes. The R18 engine is enormous. Beautiful bike, but the sales idiot was just that. You can here it on a video I did on it. He basically said the K16 sounds amazing at 10k rpm. I think I replied, I am sure it does...In pieces. whenever I go to most dealers I feel like when I've had to change the ejection pump in my basement. Sales folk have a weird predatory vibe. The funny thing is, it wasn't as much when I visited the HD dealer, which is owned by parsons too. They seemed a little more polished. There were no RTs to see though. I would have liked that, although with the 2021, you either buy it with everything or order it with nothing. No more a la carte. I'm out. At 27K OTD, it's getting a bit much. 

Ponch
50 minutes ago, BrianM said:

The inspection is to look at the installed ring. there are 2 rings, one with a flat section on the OD, one without. It is not clear if the second type of ring was ever installed on existing pumps on motorcycles or not. They are inspecting for the ring type.

I think mine has the flat section, which would make sense as that was the repair. I think part of this dance is that there is a separate reimbursement for checking, so they break it down to charge accordingly. They probably know it has to be replaced, but play it out to maximize charge back. 

Twisties

Hmmmm....  IIRC both of our '07  RTs got the ring added, but no new pump.  We haven't gotten recall notices, but I won't be going anywhere near a dealer until we're vaccinated, anyway.  Between that and winter, we can wait a bit.  Guess I'll call the dealer in the spring.  

Ponch
9 hours ago, Twisties said:

Hmmmm....  IIRC both of our '07  RTs got the ring added, but no new pump.  We haven't gotten recall notices, but I won't be going anywhere near a dealer until we're vaccinated, anyway.  Between that and winter, we can wait a bit.  Guess I'll call the dealer in the spring.  

I got the ring too...You can put your VIN in at the gov website. Just do a google on vehicle recalls. I got my second vaccine last week, but I've been vid free since the beginning of this. 

• Like 1