IGNORED

Question About Recall

Ponch

I just made an appointment for the fuel pump recall. They said they need to inspect it to see which ring was put in and depending on which one, they will replace the fuel pump. I thought this was a replace fuel pump, period. I'll have to look for the letter I got, but that was my impression. 

My dealer said same thing, must be inspected first... on top of it, are they just replacing with the stock fuel pump, because if I understand correctly, there’s no replacement currently available? Which seems ludicrous, but... we are talking BMW).

I believe I first received notive about this recall last April, 2020. :4316:

1 hour ago, Ponch said:

I just made an appointment for the fuel pump recall. They said they need to inspect it to see which ring was put in and depending on which one, they will replace the fuel pump. I thought this was a replace fuel pump, period. I'll have to look for the letter I got, but that was my impression. 

Afternoon Ponch

This is the first that I have heard of BMW qualifying it that way but could make some sense as BMW is not replacing the pumps on motorcycles that had the pump replaced during the first recall, or had the pump replaced due to leaking after the first recall was done.

Might be enough difference in how the ring was installed or what the ring looks like on a new pump vs just the ring replaced. 

You would think BMW has records on that but being BMW you never know. 

I have one of my 1200  hexheads that had the pump replaced, on that motorcycle I haven't even received a recall notification. 

2 hours ago, w2ge said:

My dealer said same thing, must be inspected first... on top of it, are they just replacing with the stock fuel pump, because if I understand correctly, there’s no replacement currently available? Which seems ludicrous, but... we are talking BMW).

I believe I first received notive about this recall last April, 2020. :4316:

I received my notice in September I think. 

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Ponch

This is the first that I have heard of BMW qualifying it that way but could make some sense as BMW is not replacing the pumps on motorcycles that had the pump replaced during the first recall, or had the pump replaced due to leaking after the first recall was done.

Might be enough difference in how the ring was installed or what the ring looks like on a new pump vs just the ring replaced. 

You would think BMW has records on that but being BMW you never know. 

I have one of my 1200  hexheads that had the pump replaced, on that motorcycle I haven't even received a recall notification. 

I was under the impression it was an automatic replacement. Maybe they made adjustments to their thinking. 

3 minutes ago, Ponch said:

I was under the impression it was an automatic replacement. Maybe they made adjustments to their thinking. 

Afternoon Ponch

This was from some very early info I recieved____

According to the NHTSA recall order issued on 10 August 2020, the recall affects "motorcycles that were repaired under recall 13V-617 with the support ring remedy"  and where the fuel pump was not replaced at a later date. 

15 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Ponch

This was from some very early info I recieved____

According to the NHTSA recall order issued on 10 August 2020, the recall affects "motorcycles that were repaired under recall 13V-617 with the support ring remedy"  and where the fuel pump was not replaced at a later date. 

Yup. That's mine. I had the ring put in some years ago and the pump was never replaced. 

13 minutes ago, Ponch said:

Yup. That's mine. I had the ring put in some years ago and the pump was never replaced. 

Afternoon Ponch 

According to the info I have then you should have a replaceable pump. 

On my one 1200RT that had the pump replaced after first recall I think it will be an inspection item as (I think)  they are also replacing the replacement pumps that were originally built with a pneumatically installed reinforcement ring when built.

• Like 1

The recall letter was pretty clear - replace fuel pump assembly - including the pump, the dealer did not have to inspect, if the VIN # was included within the recall the work was done. The dealer picked my bike up and delivered it after - no charge.

Mike

• Like 1

Not what my dealer is saying :27:.  “Must first inspect...”

On the first recall mine just had the flange ring installed.  I Still have the original fuel pump

4 hours ago, Boyd's Auto said:

The recall letter was pretty clear - replace fuel pump assembly - including the pump, the dealer did not have to inspect, if the VIN # was included within the recall the work was done. The dealer picked my bike up and delivered it after - no charge.

Mike

I have to drop it off. One hour for the inspection, 1-2 hours more if it needs replacement. 

4 hours ago, w2ge said:

Not what my dealer is saying :27:.  “Must first inspect...”

On the first recall mine just had the flange ring installed.  I Still have the original fuel pump

Same here, but this recall covers replacement of the pump. 

22 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

Per BMW they will replace it under your circumstances.... Good luck with that dealer...... sounds like they aren't too bright:5147:

It's either that or go to Tucson.  That's over 100 miles away for me. 

11 hours ago, BrianM said:

These are the instructions from NHTSA. It does not require the pump to be replaced in all cases.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V471-9083.pdf

It appears that if you have no metal ring, or the ring added in the last recall - new pump.

If your pump has been replaced with a newer pump with the metal ring - it may not be replaced.

As I said, I just had the ring put on, no new pump last time.  Thing is, that should be part of BMWs records if the dealer looked up my VIN, at least that's what I would think. 

1 hour ago, Ponch said:

As I said, I just had the ring put on, no new pump last time.  Thing is, that should be part of BMWs records if the dealer looked up my VIN, at least that's what I would think. 

The inspection is to look at the installed ring. there are 2 rings, one with a flat section on the OD, one without. It is not clear if the second type of ring was ever installed on existing pumps on motorcycles or not. They are inspecting for the ring type.

1 hour ago, Ponch said:

Morning Ponch

You would think so but I'm in the other boat with one of my 1200 Hedhead bikes, I had the ring installed, wasn't happy with the dealer installed ring so  later had a new pump installed (due to me reporting a random fuel leakage). 

My warranty records probably show the new pump install  but possibly don't show a pump compliant with the new requirements. (there were some new pumps made that didn't have properly installed rings as built)

One of the problems with that darn ring was leaving it up to the dealer tec to  determine if the cracks in the outlet boss were small (then install the ring) or large (then install a new pump assy.). The quick & easy way out for the tec was to just quickly clamp on that ring then send the rider on his way.  That allowed the tec to quickly get back to very high profit  maintenance work.

36 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Ponch

You would think so but I'm in the other boat with one of my 1200 Hedhead bikes, I had the ring installed, wasn't happy with the dealer installed ring so  later had a new pump installed (due to me reporting a random fuel leakage). 

My warranty records probably show the new pump install  but possibly don't show a pump compliant with the new requirements. (there were some new pumps made that didn't have properly installed rings as built)

One of the problems with that darn ring was leaving it up to the dealer tec to  determine if the cracks in the outlet boss were small (then install the ring) or large (then install a new pump assy.). The quick & easy way out for the tec was to just quickly clamp on that ring then send the rider on his way.  That allowed the tec to quickly get back to very high profit  maintenance work.

Compounding it. I replaced the female QD fitting with a metal one from BBY. A few years ago, I had a leak. Victory BMW had done the original recall, not owned by RideNow and I emailed them for a service appointment, no reply. Called them, left a message for service that it was leaking. I get a call be from sales if I want to buy a new bike. So I decided to fix it myself. From what I can tell, the thread dope they used dissolved. I just replaced the female QD. I wonder if that will be problematic here. You have to be careful installing it. Anyway, one of the local MOA members worked in sales at GOAZ and RideNow and he said it's no surprise. Even GOAZ ghosted me and I had to go down there to make an appointment. Maybe they don't like working on older bikes and want to push sales. So anyway, I checked out some of the new bikes. The R18 engine is enormous. Beautiful bike, but the sales idiot was just that. You can here it on a video I did on it. He basically said the K16 sounds amazing at 10k rpm. I think I replied, I am sure it does...In pieces. whenever I go to most dealers I feel like when I've had to change the ejection pump in my basement. Sales folk have a weird predatory vibe. The funny thing is, it wasn't as much when I visited the HD dealer, which is owned by parsons too. They seemed a little more polished. There were no RTs to see though. I would have liked that, although with the 2021, you either buy it with everything or order it with nothing. No more a la carte. I'm out. At 27K OTD, it's getting a bit much. 

50 minutes ago, BrianM said:

The inspection is to look at the installed ring. there are 2 rings, one with a flat section on the OD, one without. It is not clear if the second type of ring was ever installed on existing pumps on motorcycles or not. They are inspecting for the ring type.

I think mine has the flat section, which would make sense as that was the repair. I think part of this dance is that there is a separate reimbursement for checking, so they break it down to charge accordingly. They probably know it has to be replaced, but play it out to maximize charge back. 

Hmmmm....  IIRC both of our '07  RTs got the ring added, but no new pump.  We haven't gotten recall notices, but I won't be going anywhere near a dealer until we're vaccinated, anyway.  Between that and winter, we can wait a bit.  Guess I'll call the dealer in the spring.  

9 hours ago, Twisties said:

Hmmmm....  IIRC both of our '07  RTs got the ring added, but no new pump.  We haven't gotten recall notices, but I won't be going anywhere near a dealer until we're vaccinated, anyway.  Between that and winter, we can wait a bit.  Guess I'll call the dealer in the spring.  

I got the ring too...You can put your VIN in at the gov website. Just do a google on vehicle recalls. I got my second vaccine last week, but I've been vid free since the beginning of this. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Had the recall done yesterday. Seemed to idle slightly lower. Maybe it's all in my head, but when I got home I noticed my front fender got something it didn't have before. Not in my head. Can't win. 

IMG_1537.JPG

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

That sucks! I’ve had it happen on a few vehicles over the years.

Yeah, I emailed them 2x, no response. Called and was told, oh, I thought I responded to you. Oh, yeah, we took pictures and it happened later. Ok. I can't do anything because my boss is on vacation. You should have received an out of office(I didn't as I email this guy and his boss 2x). So now I wait until next Tuesday probably to be ignored to offered a $5 certificate toward a service or McDonalds. </sarc> I avoided one dealer because they really suck, so there either it was this place which is like 12 miles away versus having to go to Tucson. I guess I should have gone to Tucson. I probably should check the work and make sure they didn't screw anything else up. 

Well at least you got them to admit it happed in their care. I’d get an estimate to fix it from a local painter you trust and present it to them. Or if they don’t like that idea, tell them to order you a new painted fender. :yes:

Had mine replaced last week. Dealer said inspect first, then determine next step. Determined needed to replace fuel pump. So not 1-3 hour job as I hoped, as pump had to be ordered. Ended up 9 days in shop. Would have been more if I hadn't picked up a seal from another dealer that was lost in shipping and prevented job from being finished. Reason I do work myself if at all possible. Of course I wasn't going to pay for a part that was free, but not the most efficient and clear recall I have seen. Many car recalls, dealer gets part, schedules car in and gets you in and out within a day or less and usually gives you a loaner.

2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Well at least you got them to admit it happed in their care. I’d get an estimate to fix it from a local painter you trust and present it to them. Or if they don’t like that idea, tell them to order you a new painted fender. :yes:

No more painted fender I could find. Just primed. That one was $128. My guess is that it would be that much to have it repainted. I have to wonder how they will try to weasel out. I am just cynical of dealers. It's a dairy operation where the customers are the cows. 

• Like 1

Mines at dealer now also..  same experience, service called me and said fuel pump is being replaced, but has to be ordered.   Seems they don’t keep them in stock for the recalls.  Not the best plan IMO.

Certainly not a good plan if you had a FP fail while on the road. I’ve been trying to get an oil gasket and final drive gasket I paid for and ordered 3 months ago. Dealer parts inventory sucks

9 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Certainly not a good plan if you had a FP fail while on the road. I’ve been trying to get an oil gasket and final drive gasket I paid for and ordered 3 months ago. Dealer parts inventory sucks

Yeah, I hear you. Being in the independent car repair business for over 30 years, many of our customers usually get their cars back the same day, while they are waiting and rarely more than a couple days. Of course parts are more easily obtained from local parts suppliers or dealers nearby. But with overnight delivery and a system of transferring parts between dealers you would think parts could be obtained faster. God forbid you need to get a part shipped from Germany! The other dealer an hour away in my area supposedly  had a fuel pump in stock and had multiples of the gasket my dealer was missing, but yet they had to order the pump and there was almost a 3-4 day additional delay while they waited for a part that I picked up an hour away.

Talking to some friends about motorcycle repair shops, it seems most have an attitude of "it gets done when we get to it" or "as soon as we can get the part" Even an oil change, that I can do in 30 minutes, can be an all day job.:4607:

• 3 weeks later...

I called my nearest dealer on Monday this week. Made an appointment for Thursday next week as they had to order the parts. I discussed the ring with the service tech and he stated it did not make any difference which ring was used on that recall/repair. Stated if pump had not been replaced then it was a new pump, no exceptions. Informed the tech I never received a recall letter and I am the original owner. He looked up my VIN and stated mine was part of the recall. I was also informed I had a recall of the rear wheel flange? I never received a recall letter for this either. Both are going to be done on the same visit. i will be dropping it off the day before the service date but I will be calling first to determine if all the parts are in. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Best, John

P.S. Module Master ABS rebuild working better than when it was new.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Took my ‘07 in for recall on fuel pump and rear wheel flange. Dropped it off on Wed. afternoon. Service started on Thur. and finished on Fri. Picked up Friday afternoon. New pump, new rear wheel flange, also an open software update. I have owned the bike since new in April of ‘07, lived at the same address for going on 40 years and the bike has been registered every year. I never received any notice by any means for any of the recalls. Go figure. Or perhaps this is a silent campaign all by itself. Who knows.

Dealer was Wagner Motorsports in Worcester, MA and they were great people to deal with. Polite, helpful and a nice attitude all around. I spoke with the mechanic during the pickup and he related some information on what was done. I did not know about the software update for the fuel system. It is suppose to furnish a more crisp throttle response. I am not sure I have noticed it but on another note, my onboard display showed I was getting about 49 MPG on a regular basis. My last 200 miles or so since I picked it up showed 56 MPG. I can live with that. Well satisfied.

Best, John

I don't know why the dealers are not on the same page with this.

I have a camhead. The pump failed in 2019 like all the ones affected on the hexheads. I replaced my pump at my cost since at the time my 2012rt was not covered under the recall. Now it is and my dealer said they will replace the pump no inspection needed. They will submit my receipt for the pump I replaced. They felt confident that I will be reimbursed and a new pump installed. I don't know why dealerships vary from one to the other. Just so you know this recall stays open until it is complied with. Pump replacement is the compliance. I trust my dealership. Never steered me wrong. 

Hi 6speed Ti,

This was the first time I have used this dealer. My original dealer dropped BMW for Moto Guzzi after BMW told him he needed to build a new building for about $500,000, then stock it. The dealership I did go to was great. I know safety issue recalls are open until acted upon but still do not understand why I was never notified about any of them except the first metal ring/collar problem. Handled now and hopefully no others will crop up.

Best, John