IGNORED

### BREMBO To Replace My Leaking Hayes Calipers ###

Motor32

I just made my service appointment to have my leaking Hayes calipers replaced with the BMW factory recall replacement BREMBO calipers. These will be my fifth set on my 2020 R1250RT in ten months I've owned the bike.

Steve

• Like 1

Steve,

That's a whole latta patience you have with them calipers. No doubt it's gotta be driving you nuts taking it in this many times.

I hope they get it right this time

41 minutes ago, MachineJoe said:

Steve,

That's a whole latta patience you have with them calipers. No doubt it's gotta be driving you nuts taking it in this many times.

I hope they get it right this time

Fingers crossed this will be my last set of calipers.

Steve

32 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Are the Brembo’s also leaking?

I don't have the Brembo calipers yet (next week), all four of the Hayes calipers have had leaks.

Steve

1 hour ago, Motor32 said:

I don't have the Brembo calipers yet (next week), all four of the Hayes calipers have had leaks.

Steve

Oh I should pay better attention. 

• Haha 1

I was under the impression that prior to the RT1250 Brembo was the vendor for brake calipers on the Waterhead RTs.  If so, you should be good to go as the Bremnbo calipers have never given me a problem on my 2015, or my grandpa 1999 RT.

48 minutes ago, Paul De said:

I was under the impression that prior to the RT1250 Brembo was the vendor for brake calipers on the Waterhead RTs.  If so, you should be good to go as the Bremnbo calipers have never given me a problem on my 2015, or my grandpa 1999 RT.

Yes, before the 1250 they came with Brembo calipers with no problems. I've heard that Brembo wouldn't put BMW on the side of their calipers so BMW went with Hayes, who knows. 

Steve

The funny thing is that my '19 RT has Brembo on the rear and Hayes on the front.   Sort of makes one wonder why.  No issues with leaking on my Hayes calipers, so far.  

Glad you will be getting it sorted.  Sorry that it took the route that it did to get you there.

With the issues BMW had with the branded calipers manufactured by Hayes, I wonder if they could even get any other caliper manufacturer to do the same branded deal. Who'd want their product tarred with that mess.  To me it is weird that BMW marketing would think it would improve the perception of quality and performance to go with BMW branded calipers anyway, when Brembo calipers signals that some of the highest quality and best performance components were specified on that vehicle.  I am surprised BMW stuck it out so long with Hayes as every failed caliper had BMW on it...that couldn't have made corporate too happy.

It's funny, I've had multiple people comment on  my bike "Oooh, it has Brembo brakes".  No one will comment that there is BMW brakes on it...

• Like 1
On 2/21/2021 at 10:57 AM, Motor32 said:

Yes, before the 1250 they came with Brembo calipers with no problems. I've heard that Brembo wouldn't put BMW on the side of their calipers so BMW went with Hayes, who knows. 

Except that my Hexhead and my Camhead have calipers that say BMW on one side and Brembo on the other... It was penny pinching plain and simple.... bit'em in the @ss:wave: