IGNORED

Mars Rover- Perseverance

chrisolson

Joe Frickin' Friday

Happening now, touchdown expected at 3:55PM Eastern Time.

I remember being really awed by the complexity and audacity of the "skycrane" landing plan for Curiosity ~10 years ago, but it worked perfectly, and now they're doing it again.  And for added fun, they're also bringing a helicopter this time.

Edited by Joe Frickin' Friday
Can't tell the difference between Eastern and Central Time

I have been a space geek since adolescence. I watched the final five minutes of the descent and landing. WOW!

I just heard one of the mission team refer to the landing as  "7 minutes of terror."

I am in geek heaven. Congratulations to the JPL mission team!

Continuing coverage: 

It is truly an amazing triumph of science and engineering to pull it off successfully.  With all the BS in the world, this is an event that had me pounding my desk and shouting in enjoyment , encouragement and appreciation along with the all the folks at NASA and JPL as each successful phase of the landing was called out !

Rock on Perseverance  :5188:

Eagerly awaiting more data on how close they hit the expected landing location and the first flight of Ingenuity, the  helicopter

35 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

Eagerly awaiting ................. the first flight of Ingenuity, the  helicopter

This will be the best part.

Heres Derek’s (Veritasium) report.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a great accomplishment. The chances of success were low because of how many different systems had to work without error, the most critical independent of human control.

In contrast, I just watched Ken Burns film on H. Nelson's trip by auto from SF to NYC in 1903. What vast changes were taking place at the turn of the century. Trains, planes and automobiles. 

I heard yesterday that the design of the rocket engines for the final descent is 50 years old. The original manufacturer is no longer in business, and JPL had to find a new supplier. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Joe Frickin' Friday
2 hours ago, Selden said:

This image from the descent is the coolest I have seen to date:

image.thumb.png.fc6993e5d825ff368e2b00176c981f1d.png

I wish they could have captured that as video.

I may be remembering wrong, but I thought they were going to be sending video footage from the heli once it starts flying missions?

9 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

I wish they could have captured that as video.

I believe they did ... as well as audio ...it will take some time due to bandwidth and priority for it to become available

10 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

I may be remembering wrong, but I thought they were going to be sending video footage from the heli once it starts flying missions?

Not wrong ... video is expected ...but Ingenuity won't be ready to fly for at least another 30 days. :(

1 hour ago, chrisolson said:

I believe they did ... as well as audio ...it will take some time due to bandwidth and priority for it to become available

Not wrong ... video is expected ...but Ingenuity won't be ready to fly for at least another 30 days. :(

Yep....

Here’s Scott Manley’s update.....

22 hours ago, Selden said:

This image from the descent is the coolest I have seen to date:

image.thumb.png.fc6993e5d825ff368e2b00176c981f1d.png

That looks familiar.

Not me, but I know the feeling of being dope on a rope

https://media.defense.gov/2020/Jan/15/2002235330/-1/-1/0/191211-M-JX780-1019.JPG

John Ranalletta
2 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Complete video of Perseverance descent and landing (this time I'm not joking):

Thanks.

that landing video, 3 minute one,  is a close second for to me my favorite launch/landing video sequence and number one was watching Space X land two boosters side by side which was straight up science fiction come to life

On 2/23/2021 at 1:14 PM, chrisolson said:

Interesting overview of the where the various parts of the craft ended up ...

RoverLandingParts.thumb.jpg.c6c50ea96fe089e5c10252121f8503b3.jpg

Isn’t that littering?

Good thing the ecoterrorist  group Earth Liberation Front  limited their charter to Earth, or JPL would have their parking lot plugged with protesters and sugaring of their gas tanks.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Paul De said:

Isn’t that littering?

Good thing the ecoterrorist  group Earth Liberation Front  limited their charter to Earth, or JPL would have their parking lot plugged with protesters and sugaring of their gas tanks.

In one of my anti-terrorisom classes a few years ago, and this was after 9/11, the question was asked which terrorist group costs the U. S. the most.  AQ, Taliban, skinheads, nazi's, and many other answers.  Instructor replied ELF,......not even on anyone in the classes radar,....it was a wow moment.

Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow! I just watched the March 5 NASA live stream update on Perseverance. It's hard to believe that the first Mars landing occurred in 1971. Image quality has improved by leaps and bounds since then.

The Perseverance landing site has been named for one of my favorite SF writers, Octavia Butler.

1502091840_OctaviaButlerLandingSite.thumb.jpg.22b0aa9407a5a4b3b2542213a756f944.jpg

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Darn Kids! :facepalm: :classic_biggrin:

And here’s the real one.....

https://youtu.be/E96Z6R1Gd8M