IGNORED

Smoaks vlog

JamesW

I'm sure some of you guys watch the daily youtube Smoaks vlogs.  Smoaks had an interesting vlog for 02/10 which aired yesterday, 02/11.  In it Smoaks talked about how many BMW dealers that haven't been around long have trouble working on older bikes because special tools and service information is not forthcoming any longer from BMW.  Smoaks is a master motorcycle mechanic with over 30 years experience working for Pro Caliber Power Sports in Vancouver, WA.  Pro Caliber has been a BMW dealer for only about 4 years and they don't work on bikes older than 10 years of age and in his vlog he explains why.  If I ever needed work done on my 27 year old BMW I would want someone like Smoaks turning the wrench but this won't happen at Pro Caliber from the sounds of it and the old guys that have the knowledge and knowhow to work on the older hardware are aging out, kind of sad I think.

This seems like a good place to put in a plug for my local independent BMW mechanic that works on older BMWs (airheads, oilheads) and modern BMW bikes: Bens Motorcycle Works in Freedom California, 10 miles south of Santa Cruz CA (where I live). Ben worked at the local BMW dealer till they closed and then opened his own shop nearby in 2011. It's just Ben (I'm guessing in his 40s), his wife, two young daughters and two Boxer dogs, one named Beamer of course. He also maintains a lot/all of the local BMW authority bikes. I often see other brands besides BMW but it's mostly BMWs. He's another resource if you need one, especially for older bikes. 

Cheers

Miguel

Most factory dealers of all types of vehicles, cars, cycles, ATVs, only work on machines ten years old or newer. Pretty common, and understandable I think.

I used to watch his channel but he went off on viewers and other people who disagree with him resorting to a bunch of hyperbole and other such nonsense to make his, well fail to make his point. Rule #1, when you want to discuss motorcycle disagreements you never mock your viewers or other video producers

I dunno, I've been watching his channel for a couple years now and I've never noticed Smoaks, as you say, "going off" on viewers or being disrespectful.  I'm very familiar with his neck of the woods having lived in that area in the 70's and began my riding career there.  Rode my then new R75/7 over White Pass in a snow storm pretty close to where Smoaks lives.  When I got over the pass I stopped to hang my socks on the cylinders to dry them off and warm myself up, brrrr...... That was back when I didn't have good sense, at times.:whistle: Besides that I like his dogs.  I think they have seven of them.  Also Smoaks seems to favor HD motorcycles above others having just bought a new Road King recently and he never speaks ill of any brand which is a good thing, imo.

On 2/12/2021 at 9:01 AM, JamesW said:

I'm sure some of you guys watch the daily youtube Smoaks vlogs.  Smoaks had an interesting vlog for 02/10 which aired yesterday, 02/11.  In it Smoaks talked about how many BMW dealers that haven't been around long have trouble working on older bikes because special tools and service information is not forthcoming any longer from BMW.  Smoaks is a master motorcycle mechanic with over 30 years experience working for Pro Caliber Power Sports in Vancouver, WA.  Pro Caliber has been a BMW dealer for only about 4 years and they don't work on bikes older than 10 years of age and in his vlog he explains why.  If I ever needed work done on my 27 year old BMW I would want someone like Smoaks turning the wrench but this won't happen at Pro Caliber from the sounds of it and the old guys that have the knowledge and knowhow to work on the older hardware are aging out, kind of sad I think.

It was in response to a post on the MOA forum. I watch his videos almost every day and I like the guy, but I think in the case of that particular issue, they should have just done it. It had to do with the fuel pump recall. I would think they could do it as it doesn't require special tools he doesn't have. I think the dealer came up with a blanket policy without fully considering the consequences and one size fits all. Anyway, all's well that ends well as they did the recall anyway.