IGNORED

How Much Does It Weight

Bighopper

Up here in the North we were getting really bored, what with COVID, & the Arctic High and trying to find something to do.

A friend came up with an exercise, (NOT the weight loosing one!) to see what the weight distribution was on his  2019 R1250RT.

So 3 of us got together in his warm garage & using his 600lb max digital scale & a 2 x 6 wood frame as a means of getting the bike to the right height for the scale to roll on/off, front & back wheels.

Attached is a spreadsheet that my friend Ken developed (he used to do a lot of this at his job in a Telephone company).

All the reading are close with the scale fluctuating slightly. All the weights for bags & contents were weighed on the same scale.

The Top Case is NOT a BMW 49Ltr, but a Givi V56 MonoLoc.

This is not meant to be something that is a paper on Reality but simply something to ponder thought when you next pack the Kitchen Sink for that long tour.

Enjoy.

RT Weight Feb 6 2021.xlsx

• Like 1

Nice job. 

Very informative but not a lot we can do to mitigate it. 

Pack less. 

I take my top case off and run a dry bag on the back seat on trips.  It is the only way I can move weight around and then it is only a foot or so forward of the bags on the back seat.  It is about all you can do to move weight around on these bikes. 

If you guys get bored you could try the same exercise on a 1200 GS as I would love to see those numbers.

Pretty cool stuff right there.  It does show the bikes are balanced pretty well weight wise.

6 hours ago, LAF said:

Nice job. 

Very informative but not a lot we can do to mitigate it. 

Pack less. 

I take my top case off and run a dry bag on the back seat on trips.  It is the only way I can move weight around and then it is only a foot or so forward of the bags on the back seat.  It is about all you can do to move weight around on these bikes. 

If you guys get bored you could try the same exercise on a 1200 GS as I would love to see those numbers.

Pretty cool stuff right there.  It does show the bikes are balanced pretty well weight wise.

LAF,

I agree about taking the Top Box off & using a Dry bag.

As to doing a GS, we could do it as my buddy has an 09 GS, but it is not here in the city but at his lake cabin for the winter...I will suggest that to maybe for the Spring.

• Like 1

so looking at cell O18 basically says with full load you can carry 369lbs of people total  That might be trouble for a few folks, but would carry my wife and me with room to spare.    Nice chart.

Whats interesting is the BMW tech pub.  See below.  I guess the closest it would compare with the spread sheet is cell  11J minus the rider 200lbs.  So BMW saying 615 and the scale says 692  That is a pretty good variance.  I wonder which one is right.  Are his scales calibrated and were the weights set with COG calc?  I suspect his scales are more likely the real answer versus marketing by BMW

Vehicle curb weight, fully fueled/road-ready

615 lbs  According to Guideline (EU) 168/2013 with all operating fluids, with standard equipment and refuelled with min. 90% of the usable tank capacity.

3 hours ago, Skywagon said:

so looking at cell O18 basically says with full load you can carry 369lbs of people total  That might be trouble for a few folks, but would carry my wife and me with room to spare.    Nice chart.

Whats interesting is the BMW tech pub.  See below.  I guess the closest it would compare with the spread sheet is cell  11J minus the rider 200lbs.  So BMW saying 615 and the scale says 692  That is a pretty good variance.  I wonder which one is right.  Are his scales calibrated and were the weights set with COG calc?  I suspect his scales are more likely the real answer versus marketing by BMW

615 lbs  According to Guideline (EU) 168/2013 with all operating fluids, with standard equipment and refuelled with min. 90% of the usable tank capacity.

Listing it by generation for a site I found on the GS it goes from 496 lbs in Gen 1 to 538 lbs for Gen 5 GS.

Gen 1 is 2003-2007 and Gen 5 is 2015-2018

They do break out the RT and any other model also.

BMW Motorcycle Encyclopedia

47 minutes ago, LAF said:

Listing it by generation for a site I found on the GS it goes from 496 lbs in Gen 1 to 538 lbs for Gen 5 GS.

Gen 1 is 2003-2007 and Gen 5 is 2015-2018

They do break out the RT and any other model also.

BMW Motorcycle Encyclopedia

That's an interesting collection of specs.

I wonder why they say the R1200RT 1st generation (hexhead) began in November 2003? I've always thought 2005 was the first model year (available 2004, Septemberish)

Kind of surprised to see the DVD in the links at the bottom.

43 minutes ago, lkraus said:

That's an interesting collection of specs.

I wonder why they say the R1200RT 1st generation (hexhead) began in November 2003? I've always thought 2005 was the first model year (available 2004, Septemberish)

Kind of surprised to see the DVD in the links at the bottom.

I always wonder if there is a releases in Europe and we are a year behind?  I always have trouble thinking Global but when it comes to gens of stuff it is sometimes better to think Global and realize we are a small part of the overall scheme of things when it comes to BMW Motorcycles.

Edit: I do see they are showing Europe and USA listings. 

And yes now that I looked at the link I am surprised also.  I did not see it the first glance. And it is not under the GS listings.

On 2/12/2021 at 11:43 AM, Skywagon said:

My friend didn't put the accessories he has  installed, Illumi front and rear crash bars, BMW driving/fog lights. So that could cause the weights to be off as to BMW spec.

On 2/12/2021 at 1:43 PM, Skywagon said:

BMW claimed 571 lbs curb weight ready to ride less panniers for the hexhead. 1 mile from filling my 2007 with gas I weighed it on a certified commercial scale. With empty panniers it weighed 600 lbs.

• Like 1