IGNORED

WHAT BATTERY TENDER TO BUY?

ully211

I need to finally replace my BMW OEM battery tender after 11 years of use, and don't want to buy one from the dealer for $300.

What unit do most use which makes it easy to connect the BMW plug?

Appreciate all your help!

31 minutes ago, ully211 said:

I need to finally replace my BMW OEM battery tender after 11 years of use, and don't want to buy one from the dealer for $300.

What unit do most use which makes it easy to connect the BMW plug?

Appreciate all your help!

Morning  ully211

What motorcycle (year & model) & what battery type are your working with?? 

18 minutes ago, ully211 said:

Morning dirtrider,

2009 RT1200 .... thanks for the advice!

Morning  ully211

OK, that's a start, now tell us what type of battery you have in that motorcycle?

Your 2009 1200RT came from the factory with a GEL type battery, most were either replaced with another GEL battery (if battery was bought from the dealer)  or by an AGM battery if bought from another source. 

It could also have a unique type battery like a lightweight LiFe.

In most cases you will need a battery charger that will PROPERLY charge the battery that is in your motorcycle, so before we can make an informed recommendation we need to know your battery type. 

We also need to know how you want to connect the battery charger  to the motorcycle. 

Most non-BMW branded chargers will not plug directly into your chassis module controlled power port socket & keep the power port circuit alive during charging so you will either need to go cheaper on the battery charger then  hook it directly to the battery. 

Or spend more money & get something that will work through your motorcycles module controlled power socket & keep it alive during charging.

Sorry for all the questions but we really need to know what battery that your have in that motorcycle unless you want to spend a LOT of money for a do-it-all charger.

2 minutes ago, ully211 said:

Morning again dirtrider,

I just put in a new Deka ETX20L two weeks ago

Morning  ully211

OK, that helps, that is an AGM battery without special charging characteristics.   

Next, tell us how you want to connect the battery charger to the motorcycle? 

Are you willing to add a pigtail directly to the battery for battery charging or do require charging through the motorcycle's on-board power port? 

10 minutes ago, ully211 said:

And I would rather charge it through the bike power socket on the left fairing

Morning  ully211

OK, that is doable as there are a few non-BMW chargers that can do that. 

Unfortunately I am not personally familiar with (non BMW) aftermarket (CanBus era) chargers for your BMW.

My personal thought on this is that I just don't like keeping part of the vehicles electrical system alive JUST to be able to charge the  battery. 

Hopefully riders that have used that connection method will see this thread & respond with what they are using & how they like, or dislike,  what brand/model  they are using.  

2 minutes ago, ully211 said:

Ok so you recommend just putting the pig tails on the battery nodes and have them come out the side of the fairing, right?

Morning  ully211

Yes, well sort of anyhow.  

On my personal 1200 BMW's I simply re-wire the onboard power sockets to be hooked to the battery directly with a homemade fused  harness. 

But, putting a charging pig tail directly to the battery will work just fine & that then opens the charger selection up to many more (usually cheaper) battery chargers. 

When installing the pigtail to the battery, consider installing a bigger in-line fuse. It comes with a 3 or 5 amp most likely, which works fine with the trickle charger, but I use mine to plug in my electric jacket, and that requires a 7 amp minimum, I run a 15 (20?, can't remember exactly) for the jacket and gloves. Other accessories, or a true charger (sometimes needed) as opposed to trickle, may require the larger fuse as well.

It may not be an issue for you, and I hope I'm not sidetracking this thread, it's just something I have found over the years.

• Like 1

ully211...If you don't go DR's suggested way which I think is the best way, then a pigtail to the battery is really simple.  AGM is the only battery I will use in all of my vehicles from boat, car, motorcycle, airplane.  I use Battery Tender from Deltran for AGM's and they have always done a great job for me.    I think the one I use the most is 10 years old now.

My wethead came with a pigtail installed by the dealer.  It comes out near the footpeg.  I just tuck it into an opening when not in use and it is completely out of the way.  When I am out I use it to charge my SENA since it is always hot

I've got this one (it ran when parked couple of years ago), $50 donated to the board and you pay shipping from 27052, it's yours.  I no longer use it as I have a PC680 that required me to get a different charger/maintainer.

If someone can tell me how to test it, I'll do so to ensure it works prior to any deal.

image.thumb.jpeg.7198405285c0247ae1d969f67b1aabc6.jpeg

Thanks Rougarou ... that is the one I have now and has worked since my 1st RT in 2002.

When you plug it in the bike, is the "red, yellow, or green" status light coming on?  Mine immediately goes to the "red" error light 90% of the time.

1 hour ago, ully211 said:

Thanks Rougarou ... that is the one I have now and has worked since my 1st RT in 2002.

When you plug it in the bike, is the "red, yellow, or green" status light coming on?  Mine immediately goes to the "red" error light 90% of the time.

Morning  ully211

If you are charging thorough the OEM power socket then you might try turning the key on first, then connecting the battery charger, then turning the key back to off. On the 2009 hexhead  the power socket sometimes has to be powered up by the computer before it will allow charging through the power socket. 

If you are quick after a ride & hook the charger up "right" after you turn the key off then the  power socket will usually still be alive &  accept a charge. 

• Like 1

Hi Dirtrider,

Yes Sir, I've been going through this the past three years or so ... read you need to turn bike on, plug battery into the socket after CAN bus bit test, and then plug in tender to socket.  It works 25% of the time these days, so thought I would break down and get a new one unless you have any more of your great suggestions.

16 minutes ago, ully211 said:

Hi Dirtrider,

Yes Sir, I've been going through this the past three years or so ... read you need to turn bike on, plug battery into the socket after CAN bus bit test, and then plug in tender to socket.  It works 25% of the time these days, so thought I would break down and get a new one unless you have any more of your great suggestions.

Morning  ully211

The cheap way out is to___

Try hooking (adapting) that charger to go directly to the battery posts (not through a on-board socket), if it THEN works every time & charges correctly then  just charge that way. 

If the above works you could Re-Wire one of your on-board power ports to fused battery direct & charge that way without all the key-on nonsense. 

The usually cause of the no-charge light on the charger being on  is a poor connection between the battery & the charger.