IGNORED

pinstriping

manson

Arrrgh my idea! Well maybe not but I have thought it out and did some general pen overs and the way I think it should look doesn't really look good on the rt plastics.

The sculpted lines that already exist are pretty perfect. Flowing a twin pin over it just would throw everything out of balance and be distracting to the eye and look wrong.

That is something to be said for the design of the bike and it's look.

They got it right and I mean really right.

I've seen a Piedmont Red R1150RT with gold pinstriping. It's not what I'd want but it did look quite good. I think you have to take care not to overdo it.

Original post was referring to the 2 pin stripes that are found on the tank and fenders of the early air heads mostly pre 70's

Using those guide lines stripping would look wrong.

As for free form detail striping that's fine but trying to mimic the original vintage stripes... it just wont flow right.

Londoncallin
Has anybody seen pinstriping on an RT (retro BMW style) that was well done/looked good? Pictures?

I used Prostripes Multistripes on my front fender, tank and lower rear cowl. Stripe width and spacing are very close to traditional BMW dimensions. The flowing body lines of the RT make it a bit difficult to do without going overboard, in this case less is more.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

685560-stripes.jpg.085ac123faa467506131d00515e9df6a.jpg

Thanks,

I like what you did in the photographs, and agree that a minimalist approach is better. What did you do on the lower rear cowl?

Londoncallin
Thanks,

I like what you did in the photographs, and agree that a minimalist approach is better. What did you do on the lower rear cowl?

Most of this is hidden when the luggage is fitted, I followed the example on an Airhead CS

686089-cowel.jpg.944f28c2198a27cc109ecd4f96f7a97b.jpg

Archived