Jump to content
TSConver

Looking at a used 2012 R1200RT, need advice

Recommended Posts

TSConver

Need some help

Found what I think is a good deal on a 2012 R1200RT, fully loaded, less than 10k miles.

Been sitting since 2014, tried to start it off a jump box and it would start but not run for very long, think the battery was just too dead. I think the fact it would actually start was a good sign. It was not prepped for storage so it has 7 year old gas in it.

Want to make sure I am not getting into a big disaster. Thinking of getting a battery for it and putting fresh gas in it and seeing if it will start. I am pretty good with tools. Built a offroad rig and have pulled a Cummins form a Ram pickup and rebuilt it in my driveway. Own a 2001 ZRX1200 that I do all my maintenance on including valves adjustments.

What am I getting into? Should I run or go for it? Price is below blue book listing.

I have heard it could take $1000 to get it road worthy such as going through the fuel system and doing all the maintenance, I would likely do the maintenance myself. Change all the fluids, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
West_Coaster

Welcome.

 

If you jumped it and it started, it will run off the alternator even if the battery is dead. I agree with your strategy, change out the gas for fresh stuff and try it again.

 

I love my 2012, makes me smile every I ride it or even see it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Hosstage

A bad battery will cause running issues, even if the alternator is working properly. Bad batteries just plain cause problems.

Trying to start it with that old gas didn't do it any favors. 

Get the old gas out, new in, a new battery, and fire it up.

 

It having sat for so long, the price would have to be quite a bit below book value for me to consider it, maybe 25% lower, negotiated from there. It will need tires as well as all the motor maintenance.

 

Good luck, however it works out.

Share this post


Link to post
Mane

Do it... :18:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Skywagon

If you decide to buy it, you need to change all fluids immediately.  The brake fluid is most likely contaminated with water.  Examine both master cylinders if you can.  Change the oil, change the final drive fluid.  Tires are likely too hard regardless of tread level to be safe.  Count on changing the tires pretty quick.  Get the gas out and post up here on how to do a flow test and other items.  Generally speaking the engine will likely be ok but before you put it on the road, you are likely facing $1000-1500 worth of maintenance...keep that in mind on your pricing.  BMW parts and service are not cheap.  Good luck.  Hope you get a good one.

 

P.S.  post where the bike is and you might find someone on this board who can help you give it a look and examine maintenance records.

Share this post


Link to post
TSConver
2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

A bad battery will cause running issues, even if the alternator is working properly. Bad batteries just plain cause problems.

Trying to start it with that old gas didn't do it any favors. 

Get the old gas out, new in, a new battery, and fire it up.

 

It having sat for so long, the price would have to be quite a bit below book value for me to consider it, maybe 25% lower, negotiated from there. It will need tires as well as all the motor maintenance.

 

Good luck, however it works out.

 

My experience with canbus on vehicles is if it has a dead battery the alternator cannot run it. Just too much power demand at idle and no battery reserve.

 

Fortunately it is almost empty. So I plan on filling it with fresh fuel and a battery and some good injector cleaner.

 

It is a good price.

Share this post


Link to post
9Mary7

If she's a good runner then bringing it up to current service levels is relaxing hobby time for me.... I'd do it in a heartbeat. Camheads are the best of the oil cooled by far!!

:5210:

Share this post


Link to post
dirtrider
On 2/8/2021 at 7:20 PM, TSConver said:

Need some help

Found what I think is a good deal on a 2012 R1200RT, fully loaded, less than 10k miles.

Been sitting since 2014, tried to start it off a jump box and it would start but not run for very long, think the battery was just too dead. I think the fact it would actually start was a good sign. It was not prepped for storage so it has 7 year old gas in it.

Want to make sure I am not getting into a big disaster. Thinking of getting a battery for it and putting fresh gas in it and seeing if it will start. I am pretty good with tools. Built a offroad rig and have pulled a Cummins form a Ram pickup and rebuilt it in my driveway. Own a 2001 ZRX1200 that I do all my maintenance on including valves adjustments.

What am I getting into? Should I run or go for it? Price is below blue book listing.

I have heard it could take $1000 to get it road worthy such as going through the fuel system and doing all the maintenance, I would likely do the maintenance myself. Change all the fluids, etc.

Morning  TSConver

 

You just never know when it comes to un-prepped long term storage with alcohol fuel involved.

 

It might clean right up with new clean fuel & some injector cleaner  OR the insides of the fuel system might be a big rusty mess.

 

Luckily the fuel tank is plastic so that is a big expense that you probably won't need to spend, some of the fuel system parts are also plastic so that helps.

 

Use your nose to sniff under the open fuel  tank cap, if it smells real sour & pungent then suspect the worst & expect to spend some money to get it back in shape. 

 

To my thought___ It better be a super good deal if the gasoline has gone sour & sat in the fuel system for very long like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Dirtmerchant

@TSConver  I would suggest you listen to whatever @dirtrider as to say, he has probably forgotten more about these bikes than most of us know.  My experience with projects, whether it's a car, motorcycle or building, it is going to cost more and take longer than you think so be sure you are buying it right. If you are a competent shade tree mechanic you will be able to handle the maintenance but a bike sitting for 7 years is likely going to be more to deal with than maintenance. I look forward to pics and post with how it goes if you decide to move forward. 

 

Best of luck!! 

Share this post


Link to post
GordonB

Sitting that long could lead to rear sea failures too.

Share this post


Link to post
TSConver

So it had very little fuel in it . Filled it up with 93 octane and a new battery and the ews kicked in. Looks.lime it has to go to a dealer unless someone has a way to bypass it.

Share this post


Link to post
dirtrider
2 hours ago, TSConver said:

So it had very little fuel in it . Filled it up with 93 octane and a new battery and the ews kicked in. Looks.lime it has to go to a dealer unless someone has a way to bypass it.

Afternoon  TSConver

 

No way to by-pass it (easily or quickly anyhow).

 

That is usually a key thing so make sure that you have a key with the correct pellet in it. If you received a couple of keys then try them all.

 

Also make sure that you don't have other  pellet equipped keys on your key ring. 

 

If it started before & you trailered it or transported it home then make sure that you didn't somehow pull on the wires in key switch antenna area.

 

Maybe try a battery disconnect for about 1/2 hour then re-connect then try starting again (doubtful but maybe).

Share this post


Link to post
TSConver

I don't own it yet. He is looking for the other key. It has not been moved since it tried to run. I am thinking when it was starting before the equipment is what was killing it after it ran a few seconds.

 

Anyone know if the motoscan app can reset the ews?

Share this post


Link to post
dirtrider
12 hours ago, TSConver said:

I don't own it yet. He is looking for the other key. It has not been moved since it tried to run. I am thinking when it was starting before the equipment is what was killing it after it ran a few seconds.

 

Anyone know if the motoscan app can reset the ews?

Morning  TSConver

 

Not much to re-set on the EWS, they either read the key that is programed in or they don't. 

 

Do try the battery disconnect for about 1/2 hour to see if that allows it to read the key. Make sure that the key is removed when battery is re-connected. After battery re-connect turn the key to on then allow the dash to go through a full boot-up before trying to start the engine.  

 

I'm not sure on the BMW 1200 camhead but on the older hexhead (about the same EWS system) you need to be careful in trying to re-program keys as I believe it only has 10 key addresses, once those are all taken it then locks out permanently & requires a new computer.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Brunhilde

@dirtrider , I have been getting intermittent EWS over the last year on my 2007 RT, but I could always get it going by disconnecting/reconnecting battery then firing her up.  Unfortunately, that trick is no longer working.  I checked with my dealer, and he says the antenna ring was replaced under warranty in 2012 (before I owned her).  Do you happen to know if the recall would cover the cost of a second antenna ring?  The replacement appears to be within my skill range, but I'd be happy to have the dealer handle it.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...