IGNORED

new fuel pump

Shane J.

South Sound Motorcycles performed the warranty replacement on my '07 RT this week. Great folks, had the bike back in three hours with a new fuel pump installed under the recall program. No more gas smell and feels a bit peppier.

• Like 1

Same thing two weeks ago on my 2005 R1200ST......Westside Motorsports in Spokane.

Still hard to believe they replaced it gratis on a fifteen y/o bike. Mine wasn't leaking and still runs as great as always!

I don't know if it's a different recall or warranty, but my 2008 RT quit running in Baker, CA on the way from Los Angeles to Utah (I was moving) in late June 2017.  I got the $800 tow to Las Vegas BMW Motorcycles and they replaced what they said was the fuel pump controller in the tank, not the one outside the tank.  Under warranty or recall.  They said both but the paper said warranty. 

I thought it may be vapor lock or something like that, as it was 115 degrees or so in Baker, as it usually is that time of year.  I never been in the tank before or since so I wouldn't know if anything was done in there or not.

dc

If your bike was part of this recall you should have received letters from BMW. First one was a recall notification and the second was a notice of parts availability. The dealer still had to order the fuel pump for me but it showed up in a week.

Is the position of dealers, and/or BMW,  still that one's fuel pump must be currently leaking before it will be replaced under this current Recall Campaign No.20V-471: Fuel Pump?

My 2011 RT had the support sleeve installed on top of the fuel pump earlier in its life, under that previous recall for leaking pumps, and it is not currently leaking.  I did receive a recall notice from BMW but have not received a second notice indicating that parts are available, so my bike obviously falls within the recall parameters.

My local dealer, and another one in a nearby state, have told me--last week from my local dealer-- that the fuel pump must be currently leaking, and that will be determined by a dealer inspection, before it will be replaced under this "Important Safety Recall".

Are others finding this same position, or are some having the recall work performed on qualified bikes on which the fuel pump is not currently leaking?

If there is a potential for a fuel leak, an obvious safety problem which presumably initiated this SAFETY RECALL, then should that potential problem  not be eliminated, through a fuel pump replacement, prior to it actually becoming a problem, which seems to me to be the whole purpose of a "recall"? 

Just curious what others are finding regarding this issue.  Thanks.

7 minutes ago, NRV-RT said:

Is the position of dealers, and/or BMW,  still that one's fuel pump must be currently leaking before it will be replaced under this current Recall Campaign No.20V-471: Fuel Pump?

My 2011 RT had the support sleeve installed on top of the fuel pump earlier in its life, under that previous recall for leaking pumps, and it is not currently leaking.  I did receive a recall notice from BMW but have not received a second notice indicating that parts are available, so my bike obviously falls within the recall parameters.

My local dealer, and another one in a nearby state, have told me--last week from my local dealer-- that the fuel pump must be currently leaking, and that will be determined by a dealer inspection, before it will be replaced under this "Important Safety Recall".

Are others finding this same position, or are some having the recall work performed on qualified bikes on which the fuel pump is not currently leaking?

If there is a potential for a fuel leak, an obvious safety problem which presumably initiated this SAFETY RECALL, then should that potential problem  not be eliminated, through a fuel pump replacement, prior to it actually becoming a problem, which seems to me to be the whole purpose of a "recall"? 

Just curious what others are finding regarding this issue.  Thanks.

Morning NRV-RT

Your motorcycle isn't a hexhead so you are posting in the wrong thread (doesn't really matter but just for your own information)

You should be under the new pump recall if a new pump wasn't installed during the first recall.

Have your motorcycle VIN handy then call --   BMW Customer Service at  800-525-7417  and check to see if their motorcycle is affected by this recall.

All the documentation for the recall is on the NHTSA site: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2011/BMW/R1200%2520RT#recalls

If you expand and read the "Associated Documents" link, you will see that they all say that for affected bikes, "BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel pump(s) with an improved version, free of charge."  There is no requirement that a crack or leak be currently present. The whole reason for the second recall is that the pumps reinforced in the field still have an unacceptable failure rate. The goal is to prevent leaks before they can happen.

As dirtrider said, call BMW and tell them what you have been told. They need to be aware, so they can have a discussion with the dealers.

22 hours ago, lkraus said:

All the documentation for the recall is on the NHTSA site: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2011/BMW/R1200%2520RT#recalls

If you expand and read the "Associated Documents" link, you will see that they all say that for affected bikes, "BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel pump(s) with an improved version, free of charge."  There is no requirement that a crack or leak be currently present. The whole reason for the second recall is that the pumps reinforced in the field still have an unacceptable failure rate. The goal is to prevent leaks before they can happen.

As dirtrider said, call BMW and tell them what you have been told. They need to be aware, so they can have a discussion with the dealers.

Afternoon Larry

There is at least one qualifier-- That is that the entire pump wasn't replaced under the first recall or replaced during a later warranty complaint.

My 1200GS had the first recall done, I wasn't happy with JUST the band installed as there were fairly big cracks when I took the bike in so at a later time I talked the dealer into replacing the pump (might have been a little lie about it leaking).

This motorcycle now shows no new recall as the pump was replaced with an updated pump during the 2nd warranty repair. 

Thanks dirtrider,

Yes,  I know my bike is characterized as a "camhead", however, the fuel pump recall discussed in the thread applies to both hexheads and camheads, I think, and I thought I would see if I could get any updated feedback on the entire fuel pump recall situation, which does apply to my bike.  Sorry for the incorrect post.

ikraus,

I have read all of the recall information and agree with you that the goal of the recall is to prevent leaks before they happen. That is pretty much common sense.  I reiterated what I was told by my local dealer, as well as another dealer, regarding the necessity of a current leak to qualify the bike for pump replacement under the recall.  This makes no sense to me, but I was told that was the guidance they received from BMW.

I don't want to second-guess my dealer, but I will follow up with BMW and and see what happens.

Thanks.

My R1200ST had the reinforcing ring done prior and was not leaking. My dealer replaced the whole assy free of charge per the safety recall. BMW should set your dealer straight.

I emailed GOAZ for the recall, they replied that they could do it and when would I like and I replied asking their hours and if I had to leave the bike or do it while waiting. Never heard back. Replied again. Nothing. I guess I have to go to Tucson. 

• 4 months later...

My 2009 R1200RT started leaking at the flange.  It did have the metal ring installed under a previous recall.  GoAZ in Scottsdale AZ and BMW North America are telling me that my VIN isn't on the recall and that the repair will be $750.  It sure seems like my bike should be covered.  Both the dealer and BMW are telling me that since my VIN isn't on their list "tough luck".  Does anyone have ideas as to how I can proceed?

2 hours ago, EricAZ said:

My 2009 R1200RT started leaking at the flange.  It did have the metal ring installed under a previous recall.  GoAZ in Scottsdale AZ and BMW North America are telling me that my VIN isn't on the recall and that the repair will be $750.  It sure seems like my bike should be covered.  Both the dealer and BMW are telling me that since my VIN isn't on their list "tough luck".  Does anyone have ideas as to how I can proceed?

Afternoon  Eric

Is it possible that your entire fuel pump was replaced during the first recall? (replacement pumps had the metal ring).

If you are 100% positive that pump wasn't replaced during the first recall then try to get your dealer involved to find out if the original recall repair was written up incorrectly or billed back to BMW incorrectly.   

It sort of sounds like that for some reason  BMW thinks your pump has already been replaced in the past?  

If BMW won't help you & your dealer won't help you then try contacting NHTSA for their input & help. 

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/recall-issued-on-bmw-r1200gs-hp2-enduro-other-bmw-models/

I am sure that the entire pump was not replaced but the metal reinforcement was installed.  I'll take another run at the local dealer and see if they will at least try and figure out why my VIN isn't on the list.

2 minutes ago, EricAZ said:

I am sure that the entire pump was not replaced but the metal reinforcement was installed.  I'll take another run at the local dealer and see if they will at least try and figure out why my VIN isn't on the list.

Afternoon  Eric

That is a good idea as there might be some other qualifier that we don't know about that  BMW is using to qualify specific motorcycles. 

Neither of my personal 1200 bikes are on the list  but both have had new pumps installed so that doesn't surprise me that mine are not on the list. 

If you dealer can't give you a valid answer then maybe try calling NHTSA & tell them BMW wants to charge you for a (you think) recall pump. That might at least get you an informed answer on why your motorcycle isn't on the list.