Jump to content

Detour


Whip

Recommended Posts

It's highway 1 right near where they had some fires earlier in the year, they'll have it opened by next week....

 

Ok just saw an aerial photo, maybe 2 weeks :)

 

 

 

6112405b5919ee131226cdefcfa5d066.jpg

Link to comment

Looking at the closure on the map, it looks like a lot of the same area that was previously closed for a year or two after the last big slide.  Hopefully a lot of the resources used for that repair are still handy. 

Link to comment
49 minutes ago, BrianT said:

Looking at the closure on the map, it looks like a lot of the same area that was previously closed for a year or two after the last big slide.  Hopefully a lot of the resources used for that repair are still handy. 

 

Same general area, totally different situation. Previous one was massive landslide coupled with a bridge that was damaged and had to be replaced.

Link to comment
On 1/29/2021 at 6:46 PM, Deadboy said:

It's highway 1 right near where they had some fires earlier in the year, they'll have it opened by next week....

 

Ok just saw an aerial photo, maybe 2 weeks :)

 

 

 

6112405b5919ee131226cdefcfa5d066.jpg


What’s the fix for that? :dontknow: Do they fill (seems almost impossible) and replace the road where it sat, or do they just cut another path more inland and avoid the slide area...

Link to comment

I assume they will cut a "bench" below once the soil dries and then build up a new section of cliff. We actually had a similar slide (smaller) on my local road and that is the technique they used in that situation.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, Deadboy said:

Another option....

 

 

Screenshot_20210131-074120.png

 

Temperatures around Hwy 101 in July will be a little over 100. Along the coast they'll probably be in the mid 60s.

 

Link to comment
On 1/31/2021 at 8:19 AM, Deadboy said:

I assume they will cut a "bench" below once the soil dries and then build up a new section of cliff. We actually had a similar slide (smaller) on my local road and that is the technique they used in that situation.

I would think letting nature take it's course and allow the 'gully' to form.   Put in a bridge to span the natural cut.  Bridges are spensive, but then so is repeated repair of highway.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

On the bright side, if it's not open in time for the UN, that should cut way down on the traffic on CA-1 if you want to ride it as an out-and-back (and you should!).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

Highway engineers had studied several options, including a bridge, to repair the breathtaking gap in the roadway, photos of which drew worldwide attention. Crews plan now to replace the main drainage system at Rat Creek with an oversized main culvert, a secondary culvert and smaller overflow culverts. They say that will increase the capacity of the drainage system, which became plugged in the storm with boulders, mud and downed trees, and help it withstand future storms.

 

I see another wash out in CalTrans future.  The article did not say why a bridge was not the chosen option.  My guess is cost.  But it is a penny wise decision.  An over sized culvert with two smaller 'overflow' culverts aren't going to cut it.  Look at the debris field upstream of the wash out.  I'm sure more of that is still upstream.  Debris floats.  When the next big run off event happens and the water level raises to the level of the two overflow culverts, the debris will likely plug the two smaller overflow culverts forcing all the run off and the debris again to go to the main culvert.   

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
Bill_Walker
On 3/5/2021 at 11:38 AM, Red said:

The article did not say why a bridge was not the chosen option.  My guess is cost.

I would guess time was also a factor.

Link to comment
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
×
×
  • Create New...