IGNORED

Klim Badlands Pro Jacket & Pants Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Klim Badlands Pro Jacket & Pant Review intro

Many companies offer ADV gear, but when you whittle it down to RTW-expedition-grade quality, only a handful of brands stand up to the test. My plan was to ride Backcountry Discovery Routes for three months, so I wanted the best possible protection against the elements and crashes. After spending countless hours doing online research, the Klim Badlands Pro Jacket and Pants, now in its third generation, ticked off all the criteria on my list.

Klim Badland Jacket Pants Review FB

The Klim Badlands Pro is truly a four-season suit, which proved to be a life-saving quality when, at the end of September, I rode into an unseasonal blizzard that swept across the Alvord Desert in Oregon. Slipping and sliding for hours down muddy tracks in freezing temperatures while constantly wiping snow off my helmet visor, my survival depended on staying dry and warm. My Klim Badlands Pro lived up to its promise, enabling me to stay focused on grappling with the treacherous trail conditions in low visibility.

In a similar incident a year ago a tire blow-out left me stranded in a blizzard at 17,400 feet in the Indian Himalayas in Ladakh. To survive the bitter cold, I had to enhance my less-than-capable gear with an aluminum foil survival blanket. When you consider that your life may be at stake, Klim’s price tag for the Badlands Pro is entirely affordable.

My Klim Badlands Pro had already lived up to its guaranteed waterproof claim while riding through relentless rain in British Columbia and on the Idaho BDR. The GORE-TEX 3-layer Pro Laminate Shell Technology and the YKK Vislon water-resistant zippers didn’t allow a single drop to penetrate. Backing up the waterproof claim with a warranty is especially impressive given that the jacket features twelve zippered vents. The innovative sealing design solution, aimed at preventing water ingress at the zippers’ termination points, shows how ultra-fastidious Klim is in their relentless pursuit of perfection.

Klim Badland Jacket Pants Review IDBDR

The outer shell of the Klim Badlands Pro is constructed with strategically placed technical fabric panels. The previous generation is improved upon by a combination of FPL 400 and SPL 200 3-Layer Pro GORE-TEX laminated fabrics, which reduce the weight while increasing flexibility/suppleness. The shoulders, elbows, forearms, and knees are protected by SuperFabric, an extremely abrasion-resistant technical hybrid fabric dotted with tiny raised guard plates infused on the underlying breathable base layer. Other key impact and wear areas, like the pockets and seat, are covered in highly abrasion-resistant 500D Karbonite Ripstop panels.

Klim Badland Jacket Pants Review Jacket

With the new CE Level 2-certified Aero Pro D30 impact armor, Klim applies the most advanced shock absorption technology to dissipate impact energy. To maximize protection and comfort, the ten Aero Pro D30 pads offer 44% more coverage and five times the ventilation of standard D30 pads.

Although I had no intention of playing crash test dummy for the sake of this review, shift happens. Drifting out of a corner on a fast-flowing sandy track, I noticed a closed cattle gate. With both wheels locked, I skidded into the barbed wire fence, brutally slamming my torso over the handlebar as the momentum pulled out the fence posts and ripped off my headlight. With the bike tangled up in a mess of barbed wire, I inspected my limbs and torso expecting to see my suit ripped apart. However, it was… intact!

Riding in high temperatures on the Nevada and Southern California BDRs, I was impressed with how well the air flows through the sixteen strategically placed intake and exhaust vents on the jacket (12) and on the pant (4). Combined with the optimized flow ventilation and improved GORE-TEX Pro breathability, the lining’s moisture-wicking Polygiene and Klimatek Cooling stretch mesh create a very effective ventilation and comfort system.

Klim Badland Jacket Pants Review NVBDR

Among the many refinements in the new design, I highly appreciated the integrated jacket-stabilizing, removable/stowable kidney belt and the innovative collar hook system, which also greatly enhanced ventilation.

When you’re putting it all on the line at the hard core end of the ADV-riding spectrum, there’s simply no substitute for quality. With its third generation of the Badlands Pro, Klim has raised the benchmark ultra-high for its competition. If you’re as passionate about safety, comfort, and durability as you are about ADV riding, then consider the Klim Badlands Pro as the ultimate in body hardware.

Klim Badland Jacket Pants Review suite

Klim.com

MSRP: Klim Badlands Pro Jacket—$799.99–$1029.99 | Klim Badlands Pro Pant $559.99–$719.99

PROS:

• Protection
  • Ventilation
  • 100% Waterproof
  • Durability
  • Fit/Ergonomics
  • Warranty

CONS:

• Kidney belt often retracts unintentionally into stow-away/access ports in the liner after undoing
  • External pockets are not rainproof
  • Not cheap
al8nfUQ_Zvg

View the full article