IGNORED

Spring 2021 May 19-24

The ten-day forecast is looking good for crossing the Rockies in CO.  Coolish temps predicted for Torrey, but nothing extreme.  I know, it's a ten-day.  Don't count on anything yet.

What's Happening in Torrey

Castle Rock Coffee at the corner of 12 & 24 closed, noticed yesterday that a new restaurant has opened advertising breakfast, lunch and dinner, associated with the beef place next door I think, there were bbqs smoking next to the building.

Capitol Reef Inn is closed, our one time breakfast place. Southey, the owner, died last fall. There is a new owner who is remodeling the place, something it sorely needed, no opening estimate.

Red Cliff Pizza is now Slacker's Pizza but is closed because they can't get employees, apparently the Slacker's owner is hard to work for and nobody wants to sign on. (It's always hard to get workers in the summer in Torrey) They also dropped all alcohol, FFS!

Slackers - open except Sundays (FFS!).

Capitol Burger - burger truck is still circulating around town.

Chak Balam - new Mexican restaurant next to the Saddlery, getting good reviews, busy. (In the old Flying Pig building which was extended)

Hunt & Gather - the replacement for Cafe Diablo, getting excellent reviews, $$$$.

Etta Place Cidery - Wayne County's first ever 'brewery', it's actually classed as a winery. A little west of Torrey on 24. They sell their cider from the store which is an official DABC outlet, which means masks required. It also means you can't consume on site (parking lot), they are going to have tastings with food but it seems unlikely that permit will be in place this weekend. The cider is a bit pricey at $9 an 18oz bottle but if you like cider it's worth trying, the owners are good people.

Rim Rock and Patio are open as usual.

Saddlery - the lights have been on but I haven't seen any activity.

Broken Spur steakhouse - open as usual AFAIK.

Red Sands has a restaurant, haven't been there.

Wild Rabbit Cafe, in the building where Janet's thrift store used to be next to Slackers, good breakfast and lunch but limited capacity.

Sweetgrass Cafe in Bicknell, new place for breakfast but limited capacity.

Chuckwagon - deli has an expanded dining area.

Torrey has been packed with tourists for weeks now, months actually, it sucks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Dennis Andress
2 hours ago, Bob Palin said:

What's Happening in Torrey

Castle Rock Coffee at the corner of 12 & 24 closed, noticed yesterday that a new restaurant has opened advertising breakfast, lunch and dinner, associated with the beef place next door I think, there were bbqs smoking next to the building.

Capitol Reef Inn is closed, our one time breakfast place. Southey, the owner, died last fall. There is a new owner who is remodeling the place, something it sorely needed, no opening estimate.

Red Cliff Pizza is now Slacker's Pizza but is closed because they can't get employees, apparently the Slacker's owner is hard to work for and nobody wants to sign on. (It's always hard to get workers in the summer in Torrey) They also dropped all alcohol, FFS!

Slackers - open except Sundays (FFS!).

Capitol Burger - burger truck is still circulating around town.

Chak Balam - new Mexican restaurant next to the Saddlery, getting good reviews, busy. (In the old Flying Pig building which was extended)

Hunt & Gather - the replacement for Cafe Diablo, getting excellent reviews, $$$$.

Etta Place Cidery - Wayne County's first ever 'brewery', it's actually classed as a winery. A little west of Torrey on 24. They sell their cider from the store which is an official DABC outlet, which means masks required. It also means you can't consume on site (parking lot), they are going to have tastings with food but it seems unlikely that permit will be in place this weekend. The cider is a bit pricey at $9 an 18oz bottle but if you like cider it's worth trying, the owners are good people.

Rim Rock and Patio are open as usual.

Saddlery - the lights have been on but I haven't seen any activity.

Broken Spur steakhouse - open as usual AFAIK.

Red Sands has a restaurant, haven't been there.

Wild Rabbit Cafe, in the building where Janet's thrift store used to be next to Slackers, good breakfast and lunch but limited capacity.

Sweetgrass Cafe in Bicknell, new place for breakfast but limited capacity.

Chuckwagon - deli has an expanded dining area.

Torrey has been packed with tourists for weeks now, months actually, it sucks.

More people and more restaurants but still only two waitresses.  The more things change the more they stay the same.

Are you going to be around Friday?

• Haha 1

Businesses in Hurricane, La Verkin, and Springdale are running into employee shortages as well.  Some of the same issues, hard to work for employers and pitiful wages.  

I am bringing two of my boys.  We will be riding Cathedral Valley on Friday and Burr's Trail on Saturday.  Anyone who would like to join us are welcome.

We are getting prepared for our Continental Divide Trail ride on the 24th.

• Like 1

Joel and Brad are in the house. Heading out in the morning....no idea what route we are gonna take.....gonna let the weather decide it for us.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

• Like 2
Dennis Andress

I wonder what sweaper madness is like these days. I'm leaving Washington, Utah Friday morning with the thought of reaching Torrey by 9. Reality is getting me back home by 5. Deer on Hwy 14 east of Cedar City are now dumb enough to jump out in front of anything moving.

Rick in NV
On 4/19/2021 at 2:04 PM, SwamperCal said:

Have you guys done Hells Backbone Rd. ? Wondering if it's doable on R1150R's, street bikes. 

Did it on my sport bike.

91DC2CC1-056D-41D9-9D8E-7EFE5713F57C.jpeg

• Like 2
Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, Rick in NV said:

Cancel

Cancel you're going? Or cancel you are not?

Forecasts have been updated this afternoon to include high winds Thursday and Friday in S. Utah and parts of Colorado.  Likely there are other affected areas, but I can't search them all out.   Don't be parking under any cottonwood trees.  

• Sad 1
Rick in NV
1 hour ago, Dennis Andress said:

Cancel you're going? Or cancel you are not?

Had to cancel my room. Can’t attend due both granddaughters birthday parties scheduled this weekend in MN.

5 hours ago, Rick in NV said:

Did it on my sport bike.

91DC2CC1-056D-41D9-9D8E-7EFE5713F57C.jpeg

Yeah, but you're a dirt riding stud. :bike:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

I'll be late to the party, but I'll still be there.  Gotta work all day Thursday, so I'll be riding up the 600 miles friday.  Cya'll Friday afternoon/evening.

1 hour ago, Whip said:

We are gonna go over Tennessee Pass to 70 then to Hanksville. 

What are you bringing?

SwamperCal

Made it to Bullfrog today (Thursday), heading up the Burr Trail tomorrow morning to Boulder. Might go ride Hells Backbone then up to Torrey.

Dennis Andress
42 minutes ago, longjohn said:

up on ut72’s summit. 

B72BBE86-98FE-4CA1-92F8-AF6E8FB7856B.thumb.jpeg.53511f26b7639864d28bcb7b09e499d0.jpeg

Tomorrow.

• Like 1
lawnchairboy
4 hours ago, LBump said:

Whips came up with better design for oil filler. Love on the road ingenuity :thumbsup:

20210521_190856.jpg

:/        ?

On 5/22/2021 at 8:34 AM, LBump said:

Whips came up with better design for oil filler. Love on the road ingenuity :thumbsup:

20210521_190856.jpg

I'd just leave it like that.

Looks Bada$$!

11 hours ago, Groanup said:

I'd just leave it like that.

Looks Bada$$!

I know you do your own service, but I'd love to see you ride that bike in for a service with the bolt still in place and see the look on the mechanics face when he sees it and goes, "WTF?!?"

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 5:20 PM, eddd said:

End of the Gooseberry ride. I wanted to go for it but Brad chickened out. 

20210521_111547.jpg

Eddd assured ME that all it required was a good running start. For some reason he wouldn’t go first!