IGNORED

Spring 2021 May 19-24

I am looking forward to seeing my riding friends.

I miss y'all.

I will be arriving on the 20th and leaving 23rd.

Who's IN!

Edited by Whip
  • Like 2
On 1/28/2021 at 6:59 AM, Whip said:

Who's IN!

Unfortunately probably out ... wife will most likely still be recovering from a fall from a ladder .  It might change, but I'm not inclined to tie up a reservation at the Chuckwagon just to drop it at the last moment.  

• Sad 1
Calvin  (no socks)

I've taken a dozen or so  trips out from the east coast.... I usually decide days before the event and just show up. Sometimes I spend one night and bam, back east I go... I need to look forward to something this year. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, AZgman said:

Do we have special rates at the Chuckwagon for this event?

Not really to any significant degree, but they do hold a set of rooms for us. 

But you need to get your reservation in early if you expect to stay there.  Rooms fill up quickly and those not taken are filled with regular tourists. 

Even if already booked up, ask to put your name on the wait list as cancellations do occur and they will call you to fill it.

Lots of other motel rooms available in Torrey, but sometimes they fill up also.  Even so, since most of the socialization takes place at the Chuckwagon parking lot and Whip's #9 cabin, its the place to be.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Calvin (no socks) said:

I've taken a dozen or so  trips out from the east coast.... I usually decide days before the event and just show up. Sometimes I spend one night and bam, back east I go... I need to look forward to something this year. 

I can confirm this, um, different touring behavior.  In May 2019, I didn't even know he showed up because we were away that day, then I chatted with him briefly as he was heading out.  Not for a day ride, but to head back home to FL!!  Whaaa??!!  I concluded that Calvin just likes to ride!  Maybe you should plan to come to START this year.  Much closer than Utah.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, AZgman said:

Do we have special rates at the Chuckwagon for this event?

When you call make sure you tell them you are with BMWST. 

Room booked. Will have 2 others in tow with me. Arriving 5/20 and staying in the 3 bed apartment above the general store. (Covid vaccine has been received)

7 hours ago, AZgman said:

Room booked. Will have 2 others in tow with me. Arriving 5/20 and staying in the 3 bed apartment above the general store. (Covid vaccine has been received)

That is great!

Make sure you come by cabin #9.

hmmmmmmmmmm.....................................................................

Edited by Whip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
44 minutes ago, hANNAbONE said:

hmmmmmmmmmm.....................................................................

Are you coming in an RX-7?

On 2/6/2021 at 6:34 PM, hANNAbONE said:

John:

Was just thinking about you this morning, put on a shirt from the 2005 Falling Leaf rally!  Where has the time gone? Wonder if that old guy is still shooting off the TNT with the anvil and slowly walking away from it, or did it finally catch  him? 

Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, bwpsg42 said:

Can I get a little more info.  Planning on being in the general area in late April or May.  Riding to the west coast from Florida.

Get a room. Almost everyone stays at the Chuckwagon in Torrey. That's about all the planning we do. If you are riding all the way from Florida be prepared to buy a new set of tires after the weekend.

• Like 2

From reading some of the past threads sounds like you guys have a great time exploring and talking about exploring......

Had a trip planned to Torrey last year till covid reared its ugly head......so I figured I'll try it again this year.

I'm not staying at the Chuckwagon, think I'm just down the road at the Days Inn....Suppose to check in on 5/23 and out on 5/29. Hopefully I can catch up with some of you and you can point me to some of those out of the way places.....Riding a RT so don't want to stray far off the beaten path but some dirt is fine.

Is this the annual meet-up of BMW's in Torrey which really is a just show up the weekend before Memorial Day weekend?

I was in Torrey back in 2010 and ran into a bunch of guys who just showed up at that time every year. I always thought it was an Airhead meet up for some reason. 

I'd be the new/old guy, riding by myself these days as most of my partners have quit riding distances.

Just joined the site so I'll see what it takes to make my profile.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, SwamperCal said:

Is this the annual meet-up of BMW's in Torrey which really is a just show up the weekend before Memorial Day weekend?

Yes, but this is just the spring version.  We also gather in the fall.

On 2/15/2021 at 5:02 PM, SwamperCal said:

I was in Torrey back in 2010 and ran into a bunch of guys who just showed up at that time every year. I always thought it was an Airhead meet up for some reason. 

I'd be the new/old guy, riding by myself these days as most of my partners have quit riding distances.

Just joined the site so I'll see what it takes to make my profile.

As eddd said, that's us.  We meet there during Fall and Spring, kind of a start and end to the riding season due to the weather there.  All bikes are welcome, but started from this website so mostly still BMW.  Mostly just a meet up and ride during the day, solo or in a group, then tell tall tales and hang out at night.  You're welcome to join us!

Thanks for the welcome mat. I'm looking over my riding schedule and I think this will fit into it. Back in I think it was 2010 three of us were over at the motel down the street (Motel Torrey) but found you guys one night hanging out together. Always thought to get back there again for the hang out the weekend before Memorial day but things just never worked out. My local BMW Club puts on the Memorial weekend 49'r Rally down in Mariposa Ca. so it always conflicted. I don't think they are planning the 49'r this year again with the current Ca restrictions on gatherings. Should know for sure by the end of April as they have to commit to the fairgrounds in Mariposa by then.

I've stayed in Torrey probably a dozen more times since then but usually later in the summer months. Last time going down highway 12 we ran into the worst lightning hail flashflood storm we have ever ridden through, 2019. 

Is the Fall meet-up in Torrey also?

DSC_0345.JPG

DSC_0341.JPG

• Like 1

reservations made online just in case.  Planning the date and routes leading up to the event.  If for some reason it looks like I won't be able to make it, I will release the room well in advance but will first notify the group in case someone is looking for a room.

Booked at the Chuck Wagon for Friday (21) and Saturday (22). Hoping to work it into the middle of a 12-14 day ride. Think it was the last room available. Probably would have booked there longer if they had a cabin available. Looking forward to meeting you guys again, Cabin Number Nine right?

Edited by SwamperCal
wrong dates, corrected
Dennis Andress
35 minutes ago, SwamperCal said:

So Sept 25-26, 2021 would be the Fall meet-up in Torrey at the Chuck Wagon

We're really not that hung up on dates...  Okay, Saturday would be a good day to be there. And Friday, there will be riders there on Friday. And maybe Thursday too...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 7:37 PM, SwamperCal said:

I understand but the Hotel is.

Most people stay at the Chuckwagon, Randy Austin's Chuckwagon Motel and Deli in the center of town.

Some people stay in other places because the Churchwagon is full and they can't get a reservation.  Even if they are on the waiting list.

There usually is no official meeting there unless someone buys pizzas like some of them used to do but don't seem to do any more.  Or has some announcement and they try to gather people around to listen to the announcement.

So any meeting is just informal around the rooms.

There is a deli/sandwich etc shop in front, with store, and of late it seems that there is a hamburger catering truck that comes around evenings.

Quite informal so you can just do what you want to do.

Look on this website (the one you are on here) for a list of recommended or approved or suchlike rides that tell of some of the nice rides in the area.  Or find some of your own and invite others along.  Or just go on your own. 

dc

4 minutes ago, AZgman said:

Holy flock Eddddddddddd! That was 11 years ago. Let it go, will ya? Time for you to go to the cupboard and open a can of Friskies... eh?

If I had a dollar for every time over those 11 years Whip whined about being abandoned to anyone within earshot I'd be typing this from my villa in the south of France.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2021 at 5:33 PM, AZgman said:

Holy flock Eddddddddddd! That was 11 years ago. Let it go, will ya? Time for you to go to the cupboard and open a can of Friskies... eh?

Oh c'mon now.  This is just getting started.  Heck, it's right up there with Bib Bend, and that isn't going away anytime soon, is it @johnlt?

We got our first shots of Moderna last week, and I'm fairly confident we'll be good to go by mid-April, in plenty of time.  I'm going to give it a qualified, "IN" for @Bullett and I.  Working on reservations.  CW is still closed for season and opens the 16th.  Couldn't get their online booking to work.  Expedia showed them as sold out.  I think we'll be in the 20th and out the 23rd.  

Really looking forward to this!

Well it looks like my travel plans will allow me to only stay in Torrey the evening of the 18th before heading further west t the next morning.  If anyone is there the 18th, please say hello to the metallic beige camhead with the deadhead sticker on the side case.  I will release the other nights I had reserved tomorrow morning about 9 Utah time.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, LBump said:

Chuck Wagon is sold out for this Torrey.

Hope to get a late cancellation and make it. :bike:

There are always drop outs.

On 3/29/2021 at 8:46 PM, LBump said:

Chuck Wagon is sold out for this Torrey.

Hope to get a late cancellation and make it. :bike:

The Torrey Trading Post is directly across the street.  Maybe try that.  Hope you make it!  Do Not Forget To Bring Sue!