IGNORED

iPod power connection

MooreDriven

MooreDriven

I want to power my iPod from the bike. I am not sure which is the best way. I plan to add a TPS Canbus Box to power multiple devices, but unsure about the iPod. I think it runs off 6 volts. If true, then I think I will need to maintain the car adaptor and plug into a cigarette lighter adaptor. That seems like a bulky proposition.

Thanks,

Dale

I want to power my iPod from the bike. I am not sure which is the best way. I plan to add a TPS Canbus Box to power multiple devices, but unsure about the iPod. I think it runs off 6 volts. If true, then I think I will need to maintain the car adaptor and plug into a cigarette lighter adaptor. That seems like a bulky proposition.

Thanks,

Dale

Powerlet Products has the cigarette-bmw cable adapters. I just run my iPod off it's battery while listening, and hook up the cable/adaptor mess to the bike to charge it when I don't want to listen, burying the whole cable mess in the tank bag. Clumsy though. I do the same with my cell phone.

Jerry_75_Guy

There are a few different ways to do it; I just bought the iPod car lighter powercord, and a Powerlet adapter cord to run it off of bike power.

Just for grins, I got an additional Powerlet outlet and installed it in the glovebox of my RT, ran an Autocom noise suppression lead (Part 67 I think?) back to the Autocom in the tail cone, and use a RF remote cabletied to the left handlebar to control the setup.

Works great, and never have to worry about security for the iPod, or running down the batt. Just be sure to use the "loop" if you use bike power and an intercom, or you'll get some noise.

R4ND0M_AX3

IS this for a firewire (IEE-1394) iPod or a dock/USB iPod?

Firewire just needs 8-30V, USB is strictly 5V.

MooreDriven

Thanks for the comments Walt and Jerry. I had not seen Powerlet website before. Looks like they provide part of the solutions I am looking for.

Jerry, is the "loop" you refer to below the Autocom part 67? I believe this is a Ground Loop Isolator (GLI). I can see why this would be needed with power coming from two seperate locations.

Jerry_75_Guy

Jerry, is the "loop" you refer to below the Autocom part 67? I believe this is a Ground Loop Isolator (GLI). I can see why this would be needed with power coming from two seperate locations.

I hope I didn't muddy the waters there and confuse you;

just to clarify, I have the Powerlet cord with the male end going into the BMW outlet, and the standard automotive female cigarette lighter end accepts the male cigarette end from the iPod power cord (all of which you probably already understood, but thought I'd restate the config. just incase).

Next, you'll need some type of remote to at least address volume control, and there are a number of choices for that.

I use the 'Remote Remote' brand rf remote since the iPod is out of sight in the glovebox. In any case, if you'll be using an intercom and using a similar setup to power the iPod off the bike, you're right; you'll need the a ground loop isolator to eliminate electrical noise from the bike (the isolation lead in my case plugs into the remote on top of my iPod, then I run the lead under the seat and plug it into the music port on the intercom).

I just checked my part box and it used to be called "Part 64, Stereo Isolation Lead" (not 'Part 67'; sorry for the screw up there), however, I also checked the Autocom USA site, and apparently they're now calling it "Music/Audio Interface; 12v portable source, Part# 1314". Go figure. I'd call them to confirm that this is the right lead before you order, just to be sure, but I believe this is correct.

P.S. just a heads up: the 'Remote Remote' control fob isn't WX proof, but there is another rf remote available that is, (made by 'Griffin' maybe???) but I can't remember the name.

MooreDriven

I have a remote that I purchased at Radio Shack. I mounted it to the clutch resevoir. I have an older iPod, and the battery lasts about 4-hours. On long trips, I needed the power. The tips provided, and the link to Powerlet is what I was looking for. I thought I could tie the power to the fuse box, but I don't think that's a viable solution. Powering the tank bag is a nice option.

Thanks for the help.

To get around my iPod power issue, I use a battery system with 4 AA batteries. I was traveling and forgot my charger on a trip. Purchased this for about $40.00 and it connects via the dock connector on the bottom. It gives something like 30 hours or something…not really sure because I keep cannibalizing the batteries.

Also I use the Griffin air click. That way I keep my iPod in the tail with the autocom and can control the tunes from the handlebars. With the battery backup, it runs all day without a problem.

For what it's worth, and I'm passing along only what I have been exposed to (which may be wrong), but I was going to get a vehicle charger for my IPod until I read the reviews and horror stories of 3rd party chargers sold on Apples store site of those who have fried their IPods with these car chargers. One doesn't see Apple selling one under its own brand and my reading indicated they do not because they cannot truly control or regulate the power going to the IPod in this fashon. I would assume the same could hold true connecting in some way to ones bike's power in some fashion. Anyway, like I said, I'm repeating what I read. Alas, I did not get a vehicle charger for my IPod.

Archived