IGNORED

98 r1100rt makeover

Blake8098

Looking to try to sell 1998 r1100rt in the near future. If you had one right now, what would you do to it to make it worth as much as possible for as little as possible? Bang for buck solutions preferred, but expensive options that will be nice if I decide to keep the bike are also welcome. I haven’t ever tried to sell a motorcycle so if it’s a stupid question, sorry. 

New tires. Buyers LOVE new tires. I'm torn on the turn-up and oil change. Savvy owners are going to do it as soon as they get the bike. Non-savvy owners don't care either way. 

• Like 1

The problem is it is a 24 year old motorcycle and you can go right on line to check the average value now a days. I picked up a 1999 R1100RT with 13,000 miles for $2000.00 10/2020. That was the asking price by the seller. He looked up the value on line. The tires looked new but were 10 years old. Replaced the tires and brake lines. I am under the belief you never get back the money you put into a motorcycle be it add ons or new parts. 

Every bike I sold I took a loss. If you want to sell it for something new in the garage, price it fairly, take the hit and don't look back. 

• Like 1

Blake- if the bodywork has broken / cracked bits that could be "repaired" with say JB Weld or similar from the back (so it's not visible), with no painting, that would be minimal money well spent. Ratty bodywork brings low dollars I would guess. Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would put as little money into it as possible. Scrub it up and clean it as well as possible, all lights working, all controls working, simple maintenance, make sure the battery is charged and it starts easily. Unless the tires are bald (and maybe not even then) I wouldn't replace them, you won't get that money back. I don't buy my bikes to make money, I buy them to ride and pass on when done. I don't try to squeeze the last $100 out of a sale, it's not worth the effort to me, but others think differently than I, so my wife tells me often!

Be realistic about what you would pay for it, and price accordingly.

• Like 2