IGNORED

Denali D2s fender mounted

bendbill

I would not even consider that.

Go for fork mounts or caliper mounts if you want you lights that close together. 

The thought process is a Triangle of light to be seen and to see.

But if you want them then I wold try to locate fork or caliper mounts myself.

Thanks, Lee, I'll look into fork mount set ups.  For clarification, the fender mounts do not mount to the fender itself.  Rather, they mount onto replacement bolts that hold the fender to the lower fork stanchion

DNL.DM.10000_3_7b90e6e8-830e-49f9-a772-c87957cb013f_2000x.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

From a purest nut case perspective, mounting any weight on the slider (wheel side) part of the suspension increases unsprung weight, which is undesirable from a suspension performance point of view.   In reality the added weight is not likely to result in a noticeable degradation of suspension compliance on a touring bike.

Though, I am curious, does the mounting driving lights on the slider cause the light pattern to bounce around a lot?

Hi Bill,

I initially went with Skene LED light modules mounted to the fender mounts. I chose white. They are small, light, but quite bright. They are also available in yellow. They flicker at a high rate. I also installed an LED bulb in the low beam position. 

I live in the San Jose CA area and traffic pre-pandemic, was terribly congested. I didn’t feel the low mounted Skene lights were as visible in traffic as I preferred. So I bit the bullet and bought and mounted Clearwater Erica under mirror lights with yellow covers. Being up higher and yellow makes them much more visible, especially if I’m splitting lanes but in any traffic. 

In open areas, I know the Ericas are visible as I will be flashed by oncoming traffic, even though the Clearwaters are default set at 30% brightness during the day. I wasn’t flashed when I didn’t have the Ericas. 

So depending on what you are trying to achieve with your lights, you may want to reconsider your location and color. The image shows the Ericas on but Tupperware not reinstalled. I had just finished hooking them up and wanted to test them before reinstalling Tupperware. Also the Skene lights are not visible. 

049FC7D8-BB8A-4DB7-A33B-0C3AC3FFC939.jpeg

18 hours ago, BendBill said:

Thanks, Rob,

Do you have a pic showing lights illuminated from the front?

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, I do not have a pic on hand, but, if Mother Nature cooperates, I will get you one over the weekend.  My objective for those lights was for conspicuity in the daytime; not improved night vision.  That being the case, I won't claim that they do or do not "bounce around a lot," although they have not concerned me the handful of times I've had them on at night.  As for the handling, I enjoy riding aggressively in twisty highways and byways, and the bike handles beautifully.   I just ordered two sets of Denali T-3s to complement the visibility and conspicuity of my bike:  One pair will be mounted to an Iliumworks engine guard in front; the other will be mounted beside my license plate in back.  Together, they should accentuate turn signal and brake lights impressively.  This will end my illumination additions so as to avoid the whole Tannenbaum influence...

• Smile 1

Hi Andy S,

The image makes the lights seem brighter than they are on the road. I probably haven’t aimed them yet either. I’ve only been flashed a few times by oncoming traffic. Cagers around here are often driving distracted, so if I “offend” them, oh well!  At least they see me!  Which is what I’m trying to accomplish.  I noticed a difference when lane splitting (which isn’t legal in most states) that cars gave me more room and didn’t try to jump lanes if there was an opening in the next lane as I was approaching from behind. Low mounted lights would not be visible lane splitting. 

What really convinced me to get them was seeing a GS with the same lights also mounted up in a similar location. It immediately caught my attention. I didn’t find it offensive.  It wasn’t like looking into a set of high beam lights, like the image makes it. 

Clearwater defaults to 30% brightness during the day and 10% brightness at night. Hitting the high beams will light them up to a full 100%. I can’t remember if they go 100% when I hit the horn.  It is possible to adjust the settings as well, since they integrate into the CANBUS and use the wonder wheel and handlebar control buttons to control the settings.  Clearwater lights are expensive. But their quality is second to none I feel. Other brands might be comparable perhaps, but none better. 

Thanks, Paul4450,

Those Ericas are bright and conspicuous.  If I rode in congested areas, they would be the best choice.  However, 80-90% of my riding is on country roads in the Pac NW, where I hope brights at any location on the bike would be seen easily from afar.

BTW, where did you get the leds for the rings next to headlight?  They're nice.  I have the Cyclops for my low beam and love it.

Hi Bill,

Those LED rings are stock.

I saw this image of the Clearwater lights at various intensities side by side on a K1600image.jpeg.839f5d8422099a9ae32e41dfb964587a.jpeg

Hi BendBill,

if you haven’t looked at Skene lights, I would recommend taking a peek. Here is the link- https://www.skenelights.com/

I have their brake light system and also hooked the OEM top case light into their system, which allows the top case light to work as both a running light (in the deluxe top case that is powered, the light is only a brake light) and brake light. The system also flashes 4 times initially when you brake. They have an inertia system that has a decelerometer now, which means it will activate under engine compression deceleration.  The systems are more affordable than others as well.  

I could have added some yellow Skene LED’s to my current system but I liked the larger size and adjustability of the Clearwater lights. 

Paul, 

Thanks for the word on the Skenes

I see now that the stock rings are led bright.  My original halogen was a warm yellow, not very bright next to the ring lights, as seen on 1st pic.  The cyclops low beam on the 2nd pic shows very bright; in fact, I'm surprised oncoming does not flash me more often--must be due to the twisty roads I frequent.

stock .JPG

cyclops 50'.JPG