IGNORED

R1100 Tranny problems with Bruno gone?

VI Al

Hi.   Back on this site after 11 years!  It has been so long I have forgotten my old email address etc. so I am a noob again.

I am retired now and playing around with the idea of another R1100, an RT or perhaps a GS, there are a few around for sale but there is one problem to sort out before I buy.  Here in BC you can register a bike or car as a collector once it is 25 years old. This knocks the registration/insurance down by  70% or so and looks cool to boot.  So the bike has to be a 1996 or older, my 1100RT was a 97 and had a common (I believe) transmission problem, jumping out of gear constantly.  The solution was to pull the tranny and ship it off to Bruno in Ontario to have some gears undercut. Bruno has pasted away I am afraid (found out watching Chris Harris on YouTube).  This has me gun shy about buying one of these bikes,  does anyone out there know what the plan B is now.

Al

BMW solved that problem in 1997 by going to the M97 transmission. If you got an early '97 you may have had an old (M94) tranny. If you wan to make sure you avoid that issue get a 98-99 GS or a 98-00 RT. 

6 hours ago, VI Al said:

Hi.   Back on this site after 11 years!  It has been so long I have forgotten my old email address etc. so I am a noob again.

I am retired now and playing around with the idea of another R1100, an RT or perhaps a GS, there are a few around for sale but there is one problem to sort out before I buy.  Here in BC you can register a bike or car as a collector once it is 25 years old. This knocks the registration/insurance down by  70% or so and looks cool to boot.  So the bike has to be a 1996 or older, my 1100RT was a 97 and had a common (I believe) transmission problem, jumping out of gear constantly.  The solution was to pull the tranny and ship it off to Bruno in Ontario to have some gears undercut. Bruno has pasted away I am afraid (found out watching Chris Harris on YouTube).  This has me gun shy about buying one of these bikes,  does anyone out there know what the plan B is now.

Al

Morning Al

It sounds like you need a 1995-1996 so you are pretty well stuck with the M-94. 

Some of the old M-94 trans bikes have already been updated to the M-97 so you might find one of those. 

Otherwise, with E-Bay having many used  M-97 transmissions for sale you might just buy a 1995/96 RT/GS, then (IF) you have transmission problems just buy a later M-97 & install that.   

• Like 1

Thanks Dirtrider 

Just ask and get lucky! Good idea (could have used that advice when I was 16), I am always thinking the worst. I imagine this bogyman only shows up a fraction of time, does anybody know?

Perhaps the gamble is not that bad given the price of these bikes now.  The 97 I rebuilt was priced right and the PO pointed it out saying it had just started, should never have accepted the offer to let me ride it, it felt so good :/, had no regrets and look at what I am doing now. That bike had 265,000km on it when I bought it, I put another 40,000 on it, sold it to a fellow and he left for Florida the next day.

Still, have opened this can of worms now, any other ideas/options out there?

10 minutes ago, VI Al said:

Thanks Dirtrider 

Just ask and get lucky! Good idea (could have used that advice when I was 16), I am always thinking the worst. I imagine this bogyman only shows up a fraction of time, does anybody know?

Perhaps the gamble is not that bad given the price of these bikes now.  The 97 I rebuilt was priced right and the PO pointed it out saying it had just started, should never have accepted the offer to let me ride it, it felt so good :/, had no regrets and look at what I am doing now. That bike had 265,000km on it when I bought it, I put another 40,000 on it, sold it to a fellow and he left for Florida the next day.

Still, have opened this can of worms now, any other ideas/options out there?

Afternoon Al

About all I can suggest is to give the M-94 trans motorcycle that you are looking at  a good long road test before buying (get it hot) then in 2nd & 3rd gear keep rolling on & off the throttle as you ride & cost (both light throttle roll on & off  & heavier throttle roll on & off).  That usually brings out the worst in those M94 transmissions.   

Also do a little speed shifting from 1st to 2nd  & 2nd  to 3rd  to see if locks into gear good & solid, then stays locked in.

A number of those M-94's did skip but I had one that I rode to over 100k & the next owner rode another (long time) & it never jumped out of gear.  

Can you contact Chris Harris? Maybe he knows someone. I have been looking over sites after acquiring a 1999 RT 10/2020 in case of future problems. 

Found this. Their located in VA. So it's a long haul for you and me for that matter. 

http://vamotorrad.com/benchwork/

Mike    Sent Chris an e-mail   Thanks

• Like 1