IGNORED

Michelin Anakee Wild Long-Term Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Michelin-Anakee-Wild-Review-Intro.jpg

Adventure riders are blessed with tire options. Between the time-tested favorites and the newcomers there are plenty to choose from. Michelin developed their Anakee Wild over several years to compete with the best in the 50/50 arena, and I’ve been conducting a long-term test to see how they perform.

Michelin borrowed knowledge gained winning Dakar rallies with their Desert Race tire for the development of the Anakee Wild, and it shows. You can tell at first glance these tires mean business. The tread pattern is staggered as well as curved, to aid grip in soft conditions and help release mud or stones. Additionally, the tread is wider at the bottom, with bridges between the outer blocks to help with wear and cornering stability. Mounting the Anakee Wilds to my Triumph Tiger 800’s 21″/17″ wheels was without issue; the front was almost easy due to the larger diameter but the rear wasn’t any more difficult than other radials I’d spooned on.

Michelin Anakee Wild Review FB

Like most other tires, the initial rides involved some trial and error. Michelin recommends using your bike’s specified pressures, in my case 36/42 PSI. But I found they just didn’t handle well at that level, and that 30/36 PSI with luggage and 28/28 PSI without worked best. However, I’ve yet to work out the high-speed handling. Despite the R rating (106 mph max speed) they can begin to wobble as early as 85 mph.

Off pavement the Anakee Wild really shines. There’s plenty of grip when the rear breaks loose under power, and it’s progressive and controllable. Gravel, hard-packed dirt, and rocks are all handled cleanly. Soupy mud and soft loam are no match either; an observant friend was impressed by how quickly the mud cleared from the tread as I accelerated. If there’s a “downside” to their off-road prowess it’s the confidence they give you.

On pavement these Michelins shouldn’t give you any surprises as long as you keep an eye on your speed. Cornering grip is plentiful, even in rain, and I’ve only experienced the tires breaking loose or traction control activating under purposeful acceleration. I can also attest the bridged outer blocks work as intended to keep cornering feel consistent, even while trail braking. As with most knobbies, they do generate some noise, but it doesn’t seem to be notably different than others.

After about 2,000 miles the Anakee Wilds have worn considerably better than I expected. Both tires have worn their blocks evenly without cupping, unevenness, or soft edges. For my personal use and desires the rear has at least another 1,000 miles left and could easily go a couple thousand more before touching the wear bars. Up front the wear is just getting started and it appears the ratio is two rears for each front.

Michelin Anakee Wild Review 1

While the pandemic has prolonged this review a little more than originally planned, these Michelins have not only lived up to but also exceeded my expectations. If you’re looking for tires to confidently claw through any terrain and rail corners between trails, but don’t need to pass every other vehicle on the road, the Anakee Wilds might be a good fit for you.

Michelin Anakee Wild Review 2Motorcycle.Michelinman.com

MSRP: $147.95–$323.95 | 90/90B21—$158.95 | 150/70R17—$300.95

PROS:

• Excellent grip off road
  • Good grip on road and stable in corners
  • Even wearing

CONS:

• Sensitive to tire pressures
  • High speed instability

Where to Buy:

Revzilla btn

7_N8VL56WJU