IGNORED

2021 UnRally! Hopefully *** UPDATE ***

graydude

It is with guarded opportunism that we announce the 2021 UnRally in Cambria, California!  This event was rescheduled from 2020 and everything remains pretty much the same as far as costs.  The rally will start on Tuesday, July 27th and end with the Pizza Dinner on July 29th.  You may come Monday, July on 26th to take advantage of our  discounted rates.

I have no idea what the future will hold as far as our lives with COVID 19 in July.  California is currently operating on a mandatory Stay at Home Order.   I say roll the dice and hope for the best.   You can make a reservation with the lodge and cancel within 72 hours of your stay.  That's all I know.  Check out the updated webpage here for more details.  I really hope to see everyone!

https://bmw-un-rally.myshopify.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • chrisolson changed the title to 2021 UnRally! Hopefully *** UPDATE ***
  • chrisolson pinned this topic
On 1/18/2021 at 12:32 PM, graydude said:

You can make a reservation with the lodge and cancel within 72 hours of your stay.  That's all I know. 

When the 2020 event was postponed I called the hotel and the person I spoke with said our reservations would be transferred over to new dates.  Hopefully she didn't give me bad info.  I'll have to phone to confirm I still have a reservation. 

Any way to find out what we pre-registered for with you for event merch/activities?  Don't remember what I requested/paid for.

15 minutes ago, BrianT said:

Any way to find out what we pre-registered for with you for event merch/activities?  Don't remember what I requested/paid for.

Disregard this question.  I found the original email confirmation showing what I prepurchased. 

However, I guess I should ask if our original booking with you was refunded or if those of us that already registered in the past with you are still IN for same?

18 hours ago, BrianT said:

Disregard this question.  I found the original email confirmation showing what I prepurchased. 

However, I guess I should ask if our original booking with you was refunded or if those of us that already registered in the past with you are still IN for same?

Nothing has been refunded to me.  I've had four or five people ask for refunds for the event.  I'm holding all the funds sent in for registration under my mattress so you are secure.

6 hours ago, graydude said:

Nothing has been refunded to me.  I've had four or five people ask for refunds for the event.  I'm holding all the funds sent in for registration under my mattress so you are secure.

Awesome!:18:

Wow, great to be optimistic.   We are still booked in, but unsure if we can get our 2 vaccine shots by July or if the border will even be open.  Calif looks to be experiencing a huge second wave.

Are you considering a tentative new postponement date based on something like a 80% herd immunity rate of those who have received the vaccine?

I see that Wash state to the south of us is also experiencing huge covid cases.

Qu.  Has Calif and other states put out a vaccination timeline for everyone?  

Here in B.C. ours came out today but I'm not sure where we sit on it.  Probably August.  Meanwhile all native people and murderers in prison have already got their second shot. Go Figure. :dopeslap:

I have not thought of a postponement date because this whole thing is a crap shoot.  I personally do not believe we will be saved by the vaccine in time for the event.  My thought and hope  is cases will have dropped to the point where California opens up to the point where we can meet but with social distancing where appropriate and proper mask protocol .  Again, this is a crap shoot. We can revise plans as we get closer to the date and the direction of the pandemic. At least we have a date and a place to work off of. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
19 hours ago, graydude said:

I have not thought of a postponement date because this whole thing is a crap shoot.  I personally do not believe we will be saved by the vaccine in time for the event.  My thought and hope  is cases will have dropped to the point where California opens up to the point where we can meet but with social distancing where appropriate and proper mask protocol .  Again, this is a crap shoot. We can revise plans as we get closer to the date and the direction of the pandemic. At least we have a date and a place to work off of. 

I don't care if its fully open or if we're only using room chairs in the parking lot, pulling cold drinks out of a room trashcan filled with ice.  If anybody from the BMWST.com group is going, I'm IN.  We might have to modify some things due to Covid like the pizza party, but this seems doable.

California currently sits at something like 50th out of the 50 states for percentage of vaccine received vs distributed so I wouldn't count on the shots opening things up by July.  Lester I know you're in a whole different boat when it comes to border crossing and Covid and you're right to be worried about it.  You've got an extra barrier to get through that we don't.  Luckily you'll know long before the 72 hr cancellation time if you need to cancel it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, BrianT said:

I don't care if its fully open or if we're only using room chairs in the parking lot, pulling cold drinks out of a room trashcan filled with ice.  If anybody from the BMWST.com group is going, I'm IN

The best kinda get together! 

You won’t be the only one there........:thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Dennis Andress
6 hours ago, BrianT said:

If anybody from the BMWST.com group is going, I'm IN.  We might have to modify some things due to Covid like the pizza party, but this seems doable.

Ya'll might even motivate me to show up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, BrianT said:

I don't care if its fully open or if we're only using room chairs in the parking lot, pulling cold drinks out of a room trashcan filled with ice.  If anybody from the BMWST.com group is going, I'm IN.  We might have to modify some things due to Covid like the pizza party, but this seems doable.

California currently sits at something like 50th out of the 50 states for percentage of vaccine received vs distributed so I wouldn't count on the shots opening things up by July.  Lester I know you're in a whole different boat when it comes to border crossing and Covid and you're right to be worried about it.  You've got an extra barrier to get through that we don't.  Luckily you'll know long before the 72 hr cancellation time if you need to cancel it.

I have no plans on postponing or canceling this event. As long as the lodge will accommodate us this is on. I will make this known on the website as well. This will happen as long as we have someplace to stay.  We may be eating gas station hot dogs but as long as the lodge is open we will be there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I get to go because I got Covid and kicked it’s Ass. It beat me up for 3 days and I was fortunate enough not needing a hospital visit. I’ll still wear a mask and social distance out of respect for others. Stay safe everyone and if you think you’re getting the C19.... don’t sleep on your back. Nobody tells you this but it will force water into your lungs and cause great back discomfort.

• Like 1
On 1/23/2021 at 6:26 PM, mrduck said:

The best kinda get together! 

You won’t be the only one there........:thumbsup:

Maybe I can go this now. :)

• 1 month later...

Anyone traveling from the midwest?  I am in Michigan, and would not mind riding with someone else to the UN.  I will have had both of my shots at the end of March.

Yeeha Stephen
On 1/23/2021 at 3:07 PM, BrianT said:

I don't care if we're only using room chairs in the parking lot, pulling cold drinks out of a room trashcan filled with ice....

Shades of the Alpine Inn/Gunnsion CO at the first UN!

The local LEO slowly rolling his cruiser thru the parking lot... "I wish I was with you guys."

SS

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

to far for me, not enough vacation time, and renting a bike just is not financially feasible this year.  Have fun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2021 at 6:22 AM, Yeeha Stephen said:

Shades of the Alpine Inn/Gunnsion CO at the first UN!

The local LEO slowly rolling his cruiser thru the parking lot... "I wish I was with you guys."

DSCN0068.JPG

I kinda like to see LE presence at rally's.  Came in handy in John Day OR when several rainbow family free loaders entered the rally site w/o paying then decided to line up at the 'free' showers at the fair grounds.

• chrisolson unpinned this topic
Dennis Andress

Okay, I want to ride. I want to ride all the way to Oregon. I'm not in a Rally'ing mood but I could see spending a couple of nights and doing a hard day ride. Anyone interested in some motorcycle history?

First I have to arrange critter care....

^^^^^it looks like nascimiento ferguson is still closed. Try going thru parkfield then take coalinga rd out of coalinga to ca25 then south to peach tree rd to indian valley rd to San Miguel. 

roadscholar

From Wikipedia. The 50th Annual Rainbow Gathering takes place in Taos County, New Mexico, in July, 2021.

One time in about '07 I was riding the GS out of Albuquerque to explore some forest roads north and west of Los Alamos. I passed an old VW bus on the shoulder with a couple longhairs peering into the engine compartment and thought it was a little strange. Later at a turn off for the forest I went in a gas station/auto parts store and asked if the roads in the NF were open and could I get thru to Coyote. The guy at the counter goes, oh you don't want to go up there, there's a bunch of hippies in the woods. Got to a fork in the road and could see blue lights flashing thru the trees so I took the road less traveled, and it made all the difference : )

Dennis Andress
On 6/18/2021 at 1:04 PM, roadscholar said:

From Wikipedia. The 50th Annual Rainbow Gathering takes place in Taos County, New Mexico, in July, 2021.

I need to dig through AdvRider a bit...   There's some bad history with a hippie cult in the hills south of Eugene.

Dennis Andress

I've got critter care!

My schemes and dreams are to: Ride the coast either starting or ending in Oregon. Spend two nights at the UN. Spend a few days with friends in Oxnard.

So whose riding East to West?

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

^^^^^As long as you’re in the area head for lunch at Jalama beach co park via 192 to Gibraltar rd and Camino cielo and 154 and 246….jalama rd. Pray for no fog up in the mts. :rofl:

there are also 2 custom seat makers in Ventura, if you’re so inclined. Ride in ride out. By appt. 

Dennis Andress
21 hours ago, longjohn said:

^^^^^As long as you’re in the area head for lunch at Jalama beach co park via 192 to Gibraltar rd and Camino cielo and 154 and 246….jalama rd. Pray for no fog up in the mts. :rofl:

there are also 2 custom seat makers in Ventura, if you’re so inclined. Ride in ride out. By appt. 

I hadn't thought about Jalama Beach. 

Just signed up. Amy and I will be riding from Texas. Taking a northern route to hopefully get into some cooler weather. 

On 6/23/2021 at 7:00 AM, longjohn said:

As long as you’re in the area head for lunch at Jalama beach...

I'm suddenly hungry for a Jalama Beach Burger.  Its been too long.  If I could impersonate Homer Simpson, I'd be slow saying with a drool, "Burrrrgeeerrrrr".

19 minutes ago, BrianT said:

I'm suddenly hungry for a Jalama Beach Burger.  Its been too long.  If I could impersonate Homer Simpson, I'd be slow saying with a drool, "Burrrrgeeerrrrr".

The last time a group of us went there we took the scenic route up in the mts, and that 17mi took us 1.5hrs because of the thick fog. OMG. It was a great day tho. Post up if you want company. I know three who are free every Monday. 

Dennis Andress
10 hours ago, graydude said:

What the hell happened to this thread??

Just talking about riding...

I may not be there this time around, despite registering. Long story made short: my wife and I were there last week, having business and personal commitments in California. I switched the B&B reservation I had for the Un and we made the drive down CA 1 from Carmel-by-the-Sea, staying two nights in Cambria. It’s a beautiful ride/drive, and Cambria itself is worth some time.

Though it may not be the best choice on two wheels, we spent a nice couple of hours at Daou Winery outside Paso Robles. It’s a beautiful place, and worth a visit just for the views. However, you presently need an online reservation to do anything there. It’s not too early to make those reservations.  

In Cambria itself, there’s a little bit of a laid-back, I’ll get around to it vibe. Of the two local restaurants we tried—Linn’s and Robin’s—neither was amazing, but both were adequate. Robin’s has a beautiful garden, but the service arrived somewhat begrudgingly. Linn’s is middle of the road. I had ribs that were too sweet for my taste, but another couple we met raved about the food. YMMV. 

Anyway, it’s not about the quality of restaurants, is it? The coastal ride is stunning, among the most beautiful on Earth, and it looks as though there are many other great options. 

There are no significant COVID restrictions at this point in business we visited. Some establishments have signs asking visitors to wear masks if they’re not vaccinated, but that’s it. Most servers were still wearing facemasks, but customers were not asked or required to do so.

Still hoping I can break away, but not optimistic.

• Like 1

^^^^i think we’ll be looking at temps in the 90s for paso Robles in late July. There are some nice curvy roads around the wineries. I’ll be bringing the cooling vest. 

edit:  jun 27,28, 29:  sun:  108°. Mon:  106°. Tue:  101°

OY!!!!

Dennis Andress
1 minute ago, longjohn said:

I’ll be brining the cooling vest. 

Yeah. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around crossing Nevada in late July. 

@BrianT Are you thinking about Jalama Beach on the way up or as a  ride from Cambria?

3 minutes ago, Deadboy said:

Linn's was middle of the road? Man that right there is some crazy talk ....

Ollieberry pie for lunch! Don’t miss this one……

• Like 2
1 minute ago, mrduck said:

Ollieberry pie for lunch! Don’t miss this one……

I switched it up and had the bread pudding last time and oh my god it was easily the best I've ever had in my life.