IGNORED

Handlebar risers

Flagman

Hello all much more knowledgeable than I.

I love my 2004 R1150RT but after years of riding 50 miles til my butt falls off I’ve been trying to improve my comfort. Currently my wrists angle down from my elbows and my hands get numb and uncomfortable. My harley allows my hands to angle up from my elbows and it feels great. So I thought risers would help? I tried to measure about an inch up and back to mimic how risers would change my position but it doesn’t seem to change things that much. Any thoughts? Also, I don’t want any changes to be so extreme that I have to change out the cables. Also, I have noticed the $30-$50 aluminum risers on ebay from names such as cnc etc seem about the same as the expensive models. What really is the difference?

any thoughts?

8 hours ago, Flagman said:

Hello all much more knowledgeable than I.

I love my 2004 R1150RT but after years of riding 50 miles til my butt falls off I’ve been trying to improve my comfort. Currently my wrists angle down from my elbows and my hands get numb and uncomfortable. My harley allows my hands to angle up from my elbows and it feels great. So I thought risers would help? I tried to measure about an inch up and back to mimic how risers would change my position but it doesn’t seem to change things that much. Any thoughts? Also, I don’t want any changes to be so extreme that I have to change out the cables. Also, I have noticed the $30-$50 aluminum risers on ebay from names such as cnc etc seem about the same as the expensive models. What really is the difference?

any thoughts?

Morning  Flagman

The BMW 1150 uses somewhat small diameter grips, those are good for motorcycle control & precise input feel but not so good for hand cramping.

You can try some Grip Puppies but that enlarges the entire grip (personally I hate that feel).

I cut a set of Grip Puppies (or similar) to have about a 1" rubber tube then slide that all the way on. That seems to be the best as it increases the grip diameter in the thumb to forefinger  area but still allows full finger wrap around the smaller mid section of the grip.   

You might try short (cut to 1/2 or less length ) Grip Puppies (or generic Neopreme grip covers)  before modifying your handlebar angle. Might be all it takes to get you some hand comfort.  

12 hours ago, Flagman said:

....I have noticed the $30-$50 aluminum risers on ebay from names such as cnc etc seem about the same as the expensive models. What really is the difference?

any thoughts?

Quality on eBay is all over the place, so it's kind of a crap shoot. I have bought two motorcycle accessories for my F700GS from (Chinese) eBay merchants in the past year, a "carbon fiber" muffler and an adjustable spoiler for the windscreen. Quality of both was excellent, and the seller of the muffler provided excellent after sale support. After ~5000 miles, the muffler is holding up nicely. The CNC machining for the spoiler mount was outstanding. Perhaps I was lucky.

Many eBay items are also available on Amazon. Because of Amazon's excellent return policies, I would probably order from them.   https://www.amazon.com/s?k=r1150rt+handlebar+risers&ref=nb_sb_noss_1