IGNORED

Free Speech and the New User's Agreement

Les is more

Les is more

Ever since the recent Harley/Harely Rider Rant, I've been doing some thinking.

While this site may be called BMWST.com, we all know that there are many brands and personalities represented among our members. I find it completely inconsistent with the intention set out in our User Agreement that we should tolerate brand or stereotype bashing. In fact, it did my heart good to see the reactions to that recent post. I had considered deleting that post when I first saw it but thought that perhaps it would be better to let you all deal with it. You did that very effectively.

This is a private board and as such does not guarantee anyone the right to "free speech." We all have bad days, wake up grouchy or whatever. That doesn't mean we get to wade in here with broad generalizations, slurs and foul tempers flying.

I commend the 98% of you who stand up for the spirit of the site and defend the precious resource we have here. I'm very impressed with the way that you respond to the 2% who don't get it yet. Even your reactions to that 2% come in a gently chiding way that lets them know what's what without adding to the problem. You set the example that the others can follow. Thank you!

While I'm at it, allow me to point you all to the latest version of the User Agreement Most of the basics remain the same but there have been some additions and rewording so that it better represents what we're about. This is a version that David and the Mods started and the Mods and I refined. I urge you all to read it. I especially urge all of you who are new and who may have said "Yeah, whatever," and just checked the box in order to get through the process, to go back, read carefully and form a better awareness of the quality of the party you've been invited to.

Thanks for both the reminder as well as pointing out the new agreement.

And also a thanks for your willingness to serve all of us. thumbsup.gif

beemerman2k

This has always been a first class destination on the Internet. I have always been able to take for granted that I'll find fine and outstanding people on this forum. Thank you for your hard work in protecting this excellent resource. I stand behind you and the moderators, always. thumbsup.gif

Firefight911

Leslie and Moderators,

As always, you have guided our cruise ship into friendly waters! Thanks for the reminder to play nice, keep it between the lines of prudence, and enjoy what we have to offer.

I raise a glass to each of you, of course, with my right arm as I am in a sling with the left

Now, press on with the more important issues here, such as oil type, oil checking, tire mileage, and the like!!

grin.gifthumbsup.gifclap.gifdopeslap.gif

all good points leslie. thought those of us who responded to the "rant" were fairly calm and cool. just keep us in line (not offline, ahem like yesterday)from time to time and we'll be ok. grin.gif

Francois_Dumas

Good points, Leslie, and well said. Don't worry about Marty... I'll read it to him when he gets here grin.gif

Francois

That doesn't mean we get to wade in here with broad generalizations, slurs and foul tempers flying.

Shoot. There goes the post I was preparing about those #!*@&! accordion playing Vespa jocks. frown.gif

682668-accordion3.jpg

Just kidding Les. The board is great, and you are doing a fine job. thumbsup.gifwave.gif

682668-accordion3.jpg.2f24c1d2f396f154476e101310da5e7a.jpg

I'll start by accepting that this is a private site that I have been invited into.

There are some topics that are and should be off limits even in the "not about bikes" sections. I don't think ideas or positions should be banned, but some control over language and tone is necessary. I've had my nose swatted a time or two, sometimee I agreed with the reasons, sometimes not. Either way, I keep in mind that this is "by invitation" and you'll hear no complaints from me.

At the same time, I would caution against becoming hypersensitive. I think that's really behind the comments about the HD crowd, for instance, that they take themselves too seriously.

Remember folks, it's just an inanimate object.

pete

russell_bynum

I think that's really behind the comments about the HD crowd, for instance, that they take themselves too seriously.

Fortunately, nobody here does anything like that.

grin.gif

This is a private board and as such does not guarantee anyone the right to "free speech."

ohsnap.jpg

I love that! Even in an arena of free speech, common decency should still apply. Can you imagine if we weren't all forced to TYPE our thoughts as oppossed to SAYING them? eek.gif From the time I started my ramblings from the edge of sanity on this board, it was very clear, very quickly of "How to behave." I force myself to think things through before posting. "Is there a better way to convey this thought?" I, too, was very impressed by the self-policing amongst the posts.

Good job of giving us "sorts-guidelines" without the "Big Brother... (oops) Sister" approach. This is a nice place to be. clap.gif

Oh, BTW............. wave.gif (Member in good standing of W. A.)

Leslie and moderators, thanks for the civility head-check and update to family rules. The disappointing thing is that you should not have had to. Lines of civility should not have to be drawn in civility circles. I remain grateful getting to know to know cantankerous and opinionated individuals because gold runs in their veins and they wear tender hearts on their sleeve. Respect and an opportunity to share have coaxed them to share and teach. I would so hate to lose that “open community”, because once lost it is never regained. Redirecting something to keep it in motion is so much easier than starting all over. Thank you for reinforcing lines that preserve Cary’s legacy and community friends I enjoy.

y'ALL aRE dOIN' a grand job...stay the course and keep on doin' what choo doin'...great site great peeps great friends that I'll get to see in a few weeks.!!

I am making the choice to be in that 98 percentile

Another big THANKS to Leslie and the moderators. This site is the reason I pulled the trigger and bought my RT. Plus, it's the most reasoned discussion of any site I visit on the Net. The user agreement is explicitly clear and well thought out. thumbsup.gif

At the same time, I would caution against becoming hypersensitive.
Well personally, I think at times the moderation going on has leaned a bit that way. But at the same time I recognize it's a tough line to walk. On one hand if all we ever talk about is, "What brand of oil should I use?" the site becomes boring and interest dies. On the other hand nobody, including me, wants another "Jo Momma" here.

So a "Tip of the Hat", not a "Wag of the Finger", (to blatantly plagiarize) continues to go to all the Moderators!

Archived