IGNORED

Aerostich Roadcrafter 10 second on/off for real??

devauxb

I keep hemming and hawing about getting the Roadcrafter.

I am really good about always riding with the proper helment, jacket, boots, ... but am way lax about riding pants.

I think that the real issue is that I find pulling and tugging those Joe Rocket pants on and off is really a chore, inconvenient, and bulky once on, ....

I know, a small price to pay in the event of the consequences of a spill. But I think that if I had gear that was quicker/easier to get on and off, I would be more prone to wear it all the time.

Which brings me to my questions. The Roadcrafter one piece is advertized as 10 seconds on. Is that for real or only achievable by some Houdini/David Blaney kind of person? Don't your boots get 'hung up' when pulling these on/off?

Also, the catalog touts the two piece (when zipped together) to be just as easy. Now how can that be!? Is it true? I've never seen either suit up close, so maybe it would be obvious if I did.

How do you rate those suits on convenience? Have you used other one piece suits (like the BMW ones) and did you find them as convenient?

Would definitely like feedback before plunking down the $$$$.

Thanks!

It's probably not <10 seconds for me, but it's close and I find my 1-piece easy to get on and off even with my size 12 boots.

John Ranalletta

Depends on how big your feet are and how loose the Stitch fits.

I have the 2-piece that's a tad more complicated, but it is easy on/off.

Yup, 10 seconds, takes a few times and the suit needs to loosen up some. I had to ship mine back twice but it was because I have a weird body! Trina was a "peach" to work with. Highly recommend! I will hold judgement on hot weather riding, however. Go for it

Knobby

Welcome aboard Bruno,

The Aerostitch zips from the top down, hence the boots are not an issue. Big bellies are more of an issue!

Maybe not 10 seconds, but not much more. Boots aren't an issue.

The Aerostich is very convenient. The only downside for me is that they get a little hot in the summer, particularly if you're riding at low speeds. Overall, an excellent product.

Ten seconds off. Twenty-thirty seconds on.

Suit is great. However, I also have a non-traditional body (long torso, short legs). It took them 5 months to get mine right. I wouldn't want to go through that again, but if it was the only way to get this suit, I would.

As for heat and cold, I've yet to need my Gerbings. Aerostich's own fleece is all I've needed so far. In the heat, just open up the vents, the main zipper and the side zippers, and wear a cool vest underneath. You'll be fine up to 100 degrees in a dry climate, about 90 in a humid climate.

I use a 2 piece that I keep zipped together like a 1 piece. At the most 10 seconds to put on and less than that to take it off. I usually end up putting on the roadcrafter before the boots just to make it really easy. But its not bad at all putting on with the boots already in place.

Bruno,

I just got a 2-piece a couple months ago... my 1st stich. I also have a Joe Rocket suit which I had for a few years prior. I'm getting used to it and with it zipped together, it's similar to the 1 piece. I'd say 15-20 secs max to get on and under 15 to get it off. That's including zipping and tightning the wrist zippers and all velcro closures etc. It's real handy for commuting to work, although I get a lot of "nice snowsuit" or "where'd you park the snowmobile" comments. But, it is much more convenient and quicker in and out of than my old Joe Rocket (which I still love anyway). It's done a pretty good job in a couple of "near monsoon" rainstorms too... Got caught in northern Maine last weekend and had to do 250+ miles in very heavy to moderate rain. Dry so far...

Bruno,

Welcome to the board. Ten seconds is probably about right, but I've never been in a race to put it on! grin.gif They usually wait for me to suit up before dropping the green flag.

The two piece works almost exactly the same as the one piece as the jacket/pants are already zipped together nearly 360 degrees.

Having owned a one and two piece, I recommend the one piece. For some odd reason, I required several mods to the pants of the two piece, but fit perfectly into an off the rack 46L one piece. Go figure! I doubt if I ever seperated the jacket and pants on the two piece...and why? Are there situations where you only need the protection of the outstanding jacket complimented by jeans or shorts and flip flops blush.gifgrin.gif?

My $2.87CDN

Hi folks;

Thanks for your feedback and help. I finally decided on a 1 piece (46L Black/Black). Still could have gone either way but rationalized since I already have a Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket, that will continue to work when I have a 2 piece need.

Only downside is that they are now out of stock for my size and the wait is 8 weeks, oh well I've made it this long.

Thanks again!

Patallaire

Gleno:

The only reason you get it off that quick was because you had one of those Las Vegas girls standing in front of you, the only reason that you got it back on so quickly was because you heard your wife opening the garage door. cool.gif

Sadly Pat, my wife left me for someone who could get their gear off quicker. That's why I'm working soo hard on my 'Stitch times. Hoping to re-win her affections that way. eek.gif

90RedRider

I had a 1 pc suit and ended up selling it. Was a struggle for me to get it on. Only wear a sz 8 boot but had to fight to get them through openings. Someone said they zip from the top down, much like they say in the ad. But if zipper is up, I guess past the waist, how would it go back down after you have a leg in. I think getting the correct size is the real trick and unless you can go by the store, is a lot of hit and miss, unless you are built " off the rack ". I tried to wear it as an oversuit over street clothes, the guy in the ad has gym shorts on. Everyone raves about them, just wanted to throw some other reality in the mix.

I bought a one piece Roadcrafter in spring of 05. Since then, I've probably put on close to 60,000 miles in it. I'm 6'2", about 220 lbs, and have a size 12 boot. Riding with the Roadcrafter is probably one of the single most convenient pieces of gear I own. I use all the pockets to keep my stuff organized and quickly accessible, and I'm spoiled to unzipping it, draping it on the bike, and walking into a coffee shop, office, etc. With a few practice times it really does come on and off in a few seconds. It has two zippers: one that goes from your throat to the bottom of one pant leg, the other from your waist to the bottom of the other leg. Getting these large boots in has never been a problem. When people talk about zipping down, they're referring to the fact that the suit has one zipper that zips from throat to boot, while the short zipper on the other leg zips opposite. Mindlessly easy.

If you use the sizing chart and provide them with a lot of measurements you shouldn't have a problem getting a good fit. I bought my one size large so I could layer clothing underneath for cold weather riding.

In the summer, sometimes I'll wear two shirts underneath it, a long and a short sleeve, then soak 'em with water and ride. Evaporative effect helps. The large right breast pocket will hold a liter of water in a hydration bladder easily. Again, in summer months I'll fill it with ice and water each time I refuel and it helps cool my body core.

On a recent ride through about 350 miles of rain, my riding buddies were soaked like rats, but I stayed dry. They were dying for a cup of coffee to warm up so we stopped at a roadside cafe. I stepped in, unzipped my suit and went and sat down. They on the other hand stood around peeling layers, unzipping garments, stepping out of rain gear, etc. I made a couple of converts that day.

Bruno--

You obviously have impeccable fashion sense, but I'd personally reconsider the combination of black on black, since it could getty pretty darned hot. The Roadcrafter's an excellent all-around piece of gear, but the venting is only good, not great. I don't know if there's a huge difference between the other colors (I have a red Roadcrafter), but given a lot of experience with the suit, I'd want to do as much as I could to avoid buying a heat sink.

FYI, I also have a Darien combo. I sold the black Darien pants last year and bought the gray ones as a replacement. I found that it made a pretty big difference on warm sunny days--the gray pair doesn't seem to absorb nearly as much heat as the black pair did.

I had a 1 pc suit and ended up selling it. Was a struggle for me to get it on. Only wear a sz 8 boot but had to fight to get them through openings. Someone said they zip from the top down, much like they say in the ad. But if zipper is up, I guess past the waist, how would it go back down after you have a leg in.

I think you were putting it on wrong. When it's off or "unzipped" the right leg zipper pulls are at the crotch and the right pant leg is now an open flap held together only by the zipper at the crotch - kind of like unzipping your pants and holding them upside down.

The left side is completely open from neck to ankle with nothing holding it together - just one big wide swath of material and the zipper pulls should be at the top as well. Think of a jacket except the zipper pulls down instead of up to fasten.

To put it on, you make sure the two zipper pulls are up as far as they can be - the right leg will be flapping open and the left side will be split apart. Put your right foot into the right leg -- shouldn't have any problems as it's butt/hip sized and once you get your foot past the zipper top the leg is split open and you've got all the room in the world. If your foot is bigger than your butt, you'll probably not want a Roadcrafter.

Then stick your right arm into the sleeve, reach around and do the same for the left arm and you're now ready to zip. Zipping "up" in this case means pulling the zipper downward. At the chest, take the two sides of the zipper and pull the tab part into the keeper part (the part that's usually stuck at the "bottom" of a normal jacket zipper). Take the pull tab and pull it downward to the ankle. Grab the pull tab on the right leg (near your crotch) and pull that down. Adjust the wrists (cool feature where there is both velcro & a zipper - zip them closed, adjust the velcro to be snug and then when you take them off just unzip...when you put them one just rezip and it's snug again no fiddlin with the velcro everytime) and ankles and you're ready to ride.

The zippers are double sliders - that means you can pull either end of the zipper up or down or towards the middle. That way you can pull the chest part down to open the chest for cooling or do the same for the legs.

Sounds like you had it zipped and then pulled the zipper all the way down leaving the two sliders at the ankle and trapping your boot in getting out. Then when you tried to put it on again you were putting your foot through an already zipped ankle.

You've got to think of a Roadcrafter as if it were an upside down jacket -- the zippers go down to pull "up" and up to go "down" & off. Once you've done it you'll slap your forehead in a "duh" moment and then marvel at the creativity of the solution.

I think getting the correct size is the real trick and unless you can go by the store, is a lot of hit and miss, unless you are built " off the rack ".

Mine fit me perfectly out of the box. I'm a 44R with a 30" inseam and a 36" waist.

I tried to wear it as an oversuit over street clothes, the guy in the ad has gym shorts on. Everyone raves about them, just wanted to throw some other reality in the mix.

Really do think you were trying to put it on wrong which is a whole different "reality". (Don't take it personally, I did the same thing before I read the directions...I was cursing having to take my boots off before putting the suit on. Then I read the directions.) dopeslap.gif

Jim

Put your right foot into the right leg ---

Aha....I think we're getting somewhere now. eek.gif

Global_Rider
The Roadcrafter one piece is advertized as 10 seconds on.

Also, the catalog touts the two piece (when zipped together) to be just as easy.

How do you rate those suits on convenience?

Well that 10 second thing wasn't a selling point in my purchasing decision. Who cares if it takes 20 or 30 seconds?

I have a 2 piece. It goes on in no time.

As for your last question...up there. I'm on my second suit; a 2004 model. I still have my 1992 model and it is till on the road.

If you are in a hurry, you can do it. But...Why?

I wear mine every day to commute, I wear shirt and tie. I also purchased an aftermarket back protector, Bohn. Goes right in.

You can get it on and off quickly, following their instructions.

Zippers at top, hold by lapels, step right leg in, right arm, bring suit across back, left arm in. Then zip down, both legs. Done!

Some say it leaks in the rain, I wore it to Ohio in a "real" storm and stayed dry.

Archived