IGNORED

Paseo Redux

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

In April '03, we took a trip to make up for missing the BMWST Paseo.  Some memories:

In Frankfort, KY I saw a well-used Jawa in front of a hotel with lots of stickers.  We stopped and met Vladimir Yarets.  Vladimir was deaf but excitedly showed us his maps.  I gave him my business card and $20.  Later, I heard he got to Indy while we were gone and tried to reach me.  The Jawa broke down and the local HD dealer took care of him.  Later, he was hit in IL and almost killed.  The Jawa was totaled.  Another group helped him and someone donated a 650GS once he recovered.  

The Blue Ridge Pkwy was not the place to be as we rode north through a light rain and fog.

We met with Mark & Christine just north of Turner's Corner for lunch.

Later in the day, we did a get off near Welch, WV.  Scuffed up but not hurt, we decided to head home as storms were brewing west of us.  After fueling in Welch and collecting ourselves, I routed the GPS for home (Indy).  The route took us west through coal country to Davy, WVA.  That's where the road turned to gravel, and not very good gravel at that.  Returning to Davy, we spied a tunnel that looked like it was going our way.  A Mustang exited the tunnel and I asked about the tunnel and road condition.  The driver said, "I wouldn't ride a motorcycle through there."  So, being a really inexperienced rider, we returned to Welch.  At a service station, I asked a young lady the best way to Beckley.  She said, "You don't want to over the mountain at night."  She gave us directions that I clearly remember:  "Take route 16, take the first right turn after the second bridge and that will take you to I77."   Following her directions precisely, the road she mentioned took us straight into a coal mine with no exit.  We ended up "going over the mountain at night" and made it to Charleston, tired but pleased.

All in all, a great trip.  Wish I had worn my light fall suit. :27:

Vlad the conqueror 

Vlad2.JPG

BRP fog and rain.

BRP_Clouds2.JPG

Mark & Christine at Turner's Corner.

Gap2.JPG

Get off.  Left hander.  Lost grip in the turn and went down as easy as sliding into 3rd base.  RT continued on on its side and crashed against a rock wall still running.  Got it upright with help.  Cosmetic damage only

six.jpg

Inexperienced rider on these roads in the dark.  Tense for sure!

image.thumb.png.1a187795b792205c689252089c1e967a.png

• Like 9

Great story John!  All riders are inexperienced at some point in time.  As the years in the saddle accumulate, we start to marvel that we survived those beginnings.