IGNORED

This House Could Be YOURS

Selden

For a mere $350 million.

Image may contain Housing Villa House Building Tree Plant Mansion Palm Tree Arecaceae and Office Building

Beyond the eye-catching design are the home’s equally jaw-dropping stats. There are 42 bathrooms, 21 bedrooms, a 5,500-square-foot master suite, a 30-car garage gallery with two car-display turntables, a four-lane bowling alley, a spa level, a 30-seat movie theater, a “philanthropy wing (with a capacity of 200) for charity galas with floating pods overlooking Los Angeles, a 10,000-square-foot sky deck, and five swimming pools.

:19:

Just now, Hosstage said:

Way too much room for visiting relatives...

But not enough for BWST!!!

Of course, our resident Clampett maison may dwarf that little cabin ;)

• Smile 1

Imagine all of the homeless that could reside there. My god, it would certainly help with the sad situation going on out there.

20 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Imagine all of the homeless that could reside there. My god, it would certainly help with the sad situation going on out there.

I think Carlin said it best about where to put the homeless

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
56 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Pretty sure the neighbors would push back a little on that...

• Like 1

I was trying out the new liberal me. :classic_biggrin: Or at least, how I perceive liberalism. :dontknow:

It’s probably gonna drift into full throttle territory If I give my opinion on how to actually fix the homeless problem.

• Smile 1
  • Haha 3
6 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I am barely over 5'6" on a good day, and that didn't go over my head.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Way too much room for visiting relatives...

Unless the buyer is a Saudi Prince with his wives, and his sisters, and his cousins and his aunts. Add retainers, bodyguards, and kitchen staff, and pretty soon there's not much room left.

At one time I had a Riyadh phone book.  The "Saud" section occupied at least 15 full pages — and that was back in 1980. Current estimates are that the royal family numbers around 15,000. 

1 hour ago, Selden said:

Unless the buyer is a Saudi Prince with his wives, and his sisters, and his cousins and his aunts. Add retainers, bodyguards, and kitchen staff, and pretty soon there's not much room left.

At one time I had a Riyadh phone book.  The "Saud" section occupied at least 15 full pages — and that was back in 1980. Current estimates are that the royal family numbers around 15,000. 

Like I said, way too much room for relatives....

• Like 1
On 1/14/2021 at 11:01 AM, Selden said:

Beyond the eye-catching design are the home’s equally jaw-dropping stats. There are 42 bathrooms, 21 bedrooms, a 5,500-square-foot master suite, a 30-car garage gallery with two car-display turntables, a four-lane bowling alley, a spa level, a 30-seat movie theater, a “philanthropy wing (with a capacity of 200) for charity galas with floating pods overlooking Los Angeles, a 10,000-square-foot sky deck, and five swimming pools.

Why would I consider downsizing?  :3:

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Sonor said:

Yeah, the price might be right, but you'd spend everyday cleaning the darn thing. :4317:

Someone would be cleaning, probably not me....

16 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

If you could afford that, you’d have people. I’d have people to keep my bikes and cars cleaned too! ;)

22 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I got a wife, and I know how to use her ;):18:

• Haha 1

If I had that kind of money I would declare myself a Saudi Prince and have 30 wives. :D . But since I don't , I'm glad mine never reads these posts .

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

30 wives? I can barely keep one happy, no way am I taking on any more!

Only 4 wives at one time are permitted, and that many only if the husband can provide for and keep all of them happy, which often leads to multiple residences. Outside the royal family, polygamy isn't all that widespread. Do Men Still Practice Polygamy In Saudi Arabia, Today?

Of course, like Americans, Saudis can divorce and remarry, taking as many wives as they want sequentially. Mormons probably form a disproportionate number among American ex-pats: no alcohol (in theory), up to 4 wives.

4 wives and no alcohol?

I... I.., , I don't even know how to comprehend such a thing! Is that even possible? I'm just at a loss! Who,. Why,.  How,.  ? I guess what I mean is, well, who would do that to themselves?

• Like 1

Regarding "no alcohol (in theory)" here are a few first-hand anecdotes:

1. At the local Safeway supermarket in Al-Khobar, there were shelves with gallon jugs of Seppelt Barossa Valley chardonnary, merlot, cabernet, etc. grape juice, right next to cans of yeast. Similarly, cans of Blue Ribbon hopped malt syrup.
  2. While in the checkout lane, a roughneck in front of me was purchasing 6 kg of yeast. With a straight face, he told the checker "The missus is going to bake a lot of cookies."
  3. My experimental results were all over the place: about 1/3 was good for cooking, 1/3 drinkable, and 1/3 pretty damned good. What survived of the exploding closet batch was some of the best beer I ever made.
  4. For beer, I used 375 ml glass Perrier bottles, which had screw caps, and were fairly resistant to pressure. I bottled one batch of beer prematurely, stored it in an outside closet before leaving for a weekend trip to the southwestern highlands. When we came back at around 1:00 in the morning, I noticed brown goo seeping out from under the closet door. I went in to our apartment and got the key to the closet. Beer and shards of glass were all over the place; about 1/3 of the bottles had exploded. After carefully loosening the caps of the unexploded bottles, I went back into the apartment to get cleaning implements to remove the evidence. The door to the closet closed. With the key inside. Fortunately, the hinge pins were on the outside, and I was able to hammer them out, pull the door, clean up the mess, and finally go to bed at 3:00 a.m.
  5. Tap water was undrinkable due to high salt content, so our kitchen had three taps: hot, cold, and sweet water. Visiting some people at the ARAMCO compound next door, I saw a kitchen with four taps, the fourth being for moonshine piped in straight from the backyard still. The local slang for moonshine was "siddiqui" = "my friend" (or just "sid"). Brown siddiqui could be pretty good. If you live in CA, you can even buy the stuff legally from the Siddiqui Rums Corporation.

Yep, my few visits to the desert region, alcohol was there.  Aramco people did say they made it themselves.

For New Years and Marine Corps Birthday, we were supplied beer and Jack Daniels in Iraq.  People stationed in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia were supplied the same.

Also, booze has always made its way via Listerene and Scope bottles and the like.  Friendly family/friends figured a way to "re-seal" the caps.

You want booze in a non-booze country, find the military, guarantee they have some.

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

You want booze in a non-booze country, find the military, guarantee they have some.

Years ago, I worked for a multi-national ag company.  The sales guys who traveled to UAE told of the Alitalia planes taking off and taking the fastest, shortest route to the international border and breaking out the booze.

Before that, working for a food manufacturer, our broker sold a large quantity of frozen entrees to the UAE.  On arrival someone noticed noticed "cooking sherry" on the label.  The entire load was ditched as it was too expensive to maintain ship frozen. 

1 hour ago, John Ranalletta said:

Before that, working for a food manufacturer, our broker sold a large quantity of frozen entrees to the UAE.  On arrival someone noticed noticed "cooking sherry" on the label.  The entire load was ditched as it was too expensive to maintain ship frozen. 

Magic marker would probably have sufficed. I have seen censored product labels for Delaware Punch, bacon bits, and other "forbidden" words.  Some graphic designer did a great job with the label for non-alcoholic Schlitz beer. There wasn't much they could do for the beer itself, unfortunately.

Schlitz-Arabic.jpg

• 1 month later...

Flash! 

For years, spec developer Nile Niami has teased “The One” — a 100,000-square-foot mega-mansion in Bel-Air that he hoped to sell for $500 million. But his plans are now in peril.

Niami, known for his brazen personality and wildly ambitious real estate projects, borrowed $82.5 million from Hankey Capital in 2018 to build the extravagant home. Over the last three years, that debt has ballooned to more than $110 million, and Hankey wants its money.

According to a document obtained by The Times, the lender just served Niami a notice of default on the prized property, which is considered the first step in the foreclosure process. If Niami can’t repay the loan in 90 days, Hankey could force a sale of the home.