Whip

Kenny Roberts would be proud

Whip

Good article by KC.

Parallel Twins

Cheaper to build with a long history of reliability.

Rinkydink

Spot on article. Having owned pretty much every motorcycle engine design over my 64 years except a Guzzi this is why I decided on the  F900XR. I will always own a boxer (or two!). The inline four and inline triple to me are just meh. The parallel twin with 270 degree crank has plenty of soul. It sounds wonderful with a stock pipe and has plenty enough oomph to excite me at this point in my life. The somewhat lighter weight is a bonus also. Almost bought a Guzzi but with an even sadder dealer network than BMW I stuck with my preferred marque. 

fourteenfour

So the newer BMW parallel twins control vibration better than the 800s? I had a 2016 F800GT and the vibration was just not acceptable. In the end what keeps me off the smaller F900s is the chain, belt or shaft is fine but I won't play with chain drives at all.

Rinkydink
23 minutes ago, fourteenfour said:

So the newer BMW parallel twins control vibration better than the 800s? I had a 2016 F800GT and the vibration was just not acceptable. In the end what keeps me off the smaller F900s is the chain, belt or shaft is fine but I won't play with chain drives at all.

I owned an F800ST and yes it vibrated some but the 900 seems less so. Having three bikes and two of them shaft drive the chain doesn’t bother me so much. Hell I once owned a CBR600 with white wheels!! You should at least ride one just to compare. 

mickeym3

I’m on the 850GSA now and love it. After years of Boxers (which I still prefer but given my age and stature it seemed like a prudent idea to downsize some) Minimal vibration and almost as comfortable as it’s big brother.  Test rode a 790 before buying and while I liked the hooligan (the quickshifter is superb) it just lacked the comfort I want for the long slab days. I was also impressed by the power delivery of my son’s Tiger 800 but think their dealer network is not quite as good as BMW’s. I was very pleased with how BMW handled the shock recall on my RT and that in itself says a lot about their approach to customer service. 

Like the article and agree the middleweight parallel twin is the new sweet spot for aging riders like myself and the entry segment that will quickly tire of making their smaller bikes sing along at 9K RPM when required to travel the interstates.  If I was going to recommend a bike to a new rider I’d start with the 750GS, a very nice little bike. 

But still thinking about adding the 390 Adventure since there is still a little hooligan in all of us. 

• Like 1