IGNORED

Is Motul Gear 300 75W-90 synthetic acceptable ‘01 R11RT

Miguel!

I searched and didn’t see anyone using it in the gear box or final drive. I got a bottle for free. 

Full synthetic API GL-4/GL-5 

Specs

Thx. I just don’t know much about oils.
Cheers Miguel

13 minutes ago, Miguel! said:

I searched and didn’t see anyone using it in the gear box or final drive. I got a bottle for free. 

Full synthetic API GL-4/GL-5 

Specs

Thx. I just don’t know much about oils.
Cheers Miguel

Afternoon Miguel

Well, if it actually meets the stated API GL-5 rating then it should work OK.  (see if it has an actual  API  GL-5 rating on the container)

It wouldn't be my first or even 2nd choice to use in an older BMW 1100RT but that based mainly on a seepage/leakage concern. The modern full synthetic gear oil's don't have a lot of seal conditioner in them  (especially racing type gear oils) so tend to seep or leak past the old seals easier).  

The final drive pinion seal is already a weak spot in the old 1100 BMW motorcycles so you might end up with more pinion seal leakage than you would like. 

Thanks DR. That was the type of informed info I was looking for.

I REALLY like the flexible spout on the bottle so want to repurpose the bottle. I have no other need for 75W90 gear oil so I'll just pour it into the oil recycling jug and use what I'd been using: Spectro 4 80W90 mineral oil. But I'll put it into the Motul bottle to get it into the tricky transmission fill hole. 

I wish more manufacturers would provide flex spouts like this. These are reused bottles that I saved when servicing my Vespa. (I use the 10-40 for my small tractor engine and rear-end oil.) The flex spout allows me to reach the rear-end fill hole easily on the tractor. Also the diameter of the spout is relatively small which works perfectly, especially when filling small gearbox oil fill-hole, such as on the R1100RT. The Spectro 4 20W50 is the engine oil originally spec'ed for the R1100RT, BTW. I find it on Amazon for ~$30/gallon delivered. I found my bike was smoother and acoustically quieter once I started using it so now that's all I use. It's also cheaper than synthetic oils. 

Miguel

IMG_1889.jpeg