IGNORED

R1200R 2009 running / start issue

KilowattKid

My bike, sometimes when you turn the key has a delay in the start up check.( lights/dials on the dash doing their dance.)  All different amounts of time from 1 second to 30seconds before it will complete & you then can start the bike. It also has stopped running at times for a few seconds to a few minutes. Then it runs just fine. With a GS911 the fault that comes up, but is not present is " the fuse activated for the component of ignition supply, starter relay, EWS ring ant., Injectors, Ignition coils."  is the only fault on the bike.

I have changed the EWS antenna 2 times already. It seems better right off the bat & then the problem comes back & the same fault shows up. Anyone else have an other ideas? I might try the ignition coils next.  thanks

8 hours ago, KilowattKid said:

My bike, sometimes when you turn the key has a delay in the start up check.( lights/dials on the dash doing their dance.)  All different amounts of time from 1 second to 30seconds before it will complete & you then can start the bike. It also has stopped running at times for a few seconds to a few minutes. Then it runs just fine. With a GS911 the fault that comes up, but is not present is " the fuse activated for the component of ignition supply, starter relay, EWS ring ant., Injectors, Ignition coils."  is the only fault on the bike.

I have changed the EWS antenna 2 times already. It seems better right off the bat & then the problem comes back & the same fault shows up. Anyone else have an other ideas? I might try the ignition coils next.  thanks

Morning   KilowattKid

This is going to be difficult to find as it isn't constant & doesn't leave much of a trail. 

Can you give up some more history, such as_______

How long has the problem been happening? 

When did the problem start appearing?  

When was the first time that you noticed the problem? 

Any work done to that motorcycle other then normal maintenance?  

Was it there when you got the motorcycle or did it appear at a later time?

ANYTHING added to that motorcycle, like extra lights, other accessories, ANYTHING electrical added???

What type of battery is NOW in that motorcycle??????

Does the starting problem always happen in the same place (like your garage) or  can it happen anywhere?

Possibly, with some SPECIFIC history we can help you track this thing down.

Bought the bike in 2017, did not have the problem until fall of 2018 after about 10,000 miles. It happens everywhere. After I replaced the first EWS antenna it went away for 2000 miles. The first thing that comes back is the delay in the startup regiment, but if I don’t hit the start button fast enough it can disappear & come back up on its own again.  Then the bike runs fine. The next time it turns on fast & fine. It has only stopped running at highway speeds 2 times. Had enough time to get to the side of the road & then it started running again without touching anything. Most of the time at speed it feels like it turns off & on really quick like a hiccup.  There is a GPS Zumo added & Power socket direct to the battery long before this started to happen. Nothing new after this problem started. The battery is a gel battery.  Maintenance has been for normal scheduled services.

I just looked at a parts fiche list & the ignition switch is a separate part. (the electric part) where the harness plugs into. Could it be that?

Thanks for your help.

17 minutes ago, KilowattKid said:

Bought the bike in 2017, did not have the problem until fall of 2018 after about 10,000 miles. It happens everywhere. After I replaced the first EWS antenna it went away for 2000 miles. The first thing that comes back is the delay in the startup regiment, but if I don’t hit the start button fast enough it can disappear & come back up on its own again.  Then the bike runs fine. The next time it turns on fast & fine. It has only stopped running at highway speeds 2 times. Had enough time to get to the side of the road & then it started running again without touching anything. Most of the time at speed it feels like it turns off & on really quick like a hiccup.  There is a GPS Zumo added & Power socket direct to the battery long before this started to happen. Nothing new after this problem started. The battery is a gel battery.  Maintenance has been for normal scheduled services.

I just looked at a parts fiche list & the ignition switch is a separate part. (the electric part) where the harness plugs into. Could it be that?

Thanks for your help.

Evening  KilowattKid

I have seen a couple of ignition switches fail on the 1200RT but they usually fail to "nothing happening" not a delayed boot-up.

Do you get anything like a (EWS) showing on the dash when the problem happens?

Is your neutral light showing (as dash is booting?)

Are you holding the clutch lever in when the problem happens? If not then try that to see if holding the clutch lever in as key is turned on helps (this could help us identify what is causing the issue).

Evening, 

The EWS does come up, only when it does it while I'm moving ,but goes away once the bike starts to run again. This is all very quick & sometimes I'm not looking down at the dash quick enough to see. . Yes the neutral light is there or it's in first gear when i turn the key. I have never touch the clutch lever ,because at this point I'm ready to wait the 30seconds for the dash to do its thing or not. So until the dash does the boot up there is nothing on.

24 minutes ago, KilowattKid said:

Evening, 

The EWS does come up, only when it does it while I'm moving ,but goes away once the bike starts to run again. This is all very quick & sometimes I'm not looking down at the dash quick enough to see. . Yes the neutral light is there or it's in first gear when i turn the key. I have never touch the clutch lever ,because at this point I'm ready to wait the 30seconds for the dash to do its thing or not. So until the dash does the boot up there is nothing on.

Evening  KilowattKid

Try holding the clutch lever in just as a test (that might point us at something if it makes a difference)

If you see EWS then possibly try your back-up key (possibly the key pellet is causing issues).

EWS will cause a no-start but shouldn't ever cause a stall once running.

Also, make sure that you don't have any other keys on your motorcycle key ring that have pellets in them. 

Hi, Thanks I'll try the clutch lever.  I don't carry 2 keys together & I have tried both keys one at a time & it happens with both keys.  I get that the EWS wouldn't stall the bike. It just flashes while the bike is not running.  It is an odd group of things that comes up under the GS911 fault.  That's why I'm looking for out side help. Thank you very much for thinking about this. In all my years as a mechanic this one is a real  stumper.

• 2 months later...
KilowattKid

UPDATE:  Well it was the ignition switch under the key. Part number 61 31 8 543 110  Looked at the GS911 fault code again & it pointed to the key ring, but after further review we changed out the ignition switch & it's all good. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me.