IGNORED

Chicago BMW

matanuska

I just placed an online order for a bunch of clutch parts through their website however, the autreply email said that orders will be shipped within 7-10 business days. I just called and spoke to someone in the parts department to confirm this. I was told it took 7-10 days to get the parts from BMW then another week or so to ship the parts out to the customer (it didn't sound like timeliness was a big priority there).

Is this right? I've always heard everyone raving about Chicago BMW. Granted, their prices are good, but 2+ weeks to get your stuff?

DR

I think there was a bit of miscommunication. They usually get the parts in the next day (if you place your order in the morning) and then add in boxing it up and UPS shipping time, all in all I've received most orders in about a week. The only problem I've had with them is that you won't receive any special notification if parts are backordered so in that case you can be left wondering what's going on. If you call to check they are very friendly and always happy to look everything up and give you a status, and if you ask will expedite, ship Next Day Air, etc... but you are the one who has to initiate the process. They apparently don't have the time to call every customer with an order status and I guess I can understand that, considering the 20% savings. In my experience you won't get any better service from most other dealers charging full price.

Yup. How do you think they discount? No inventory cost, slow deliver = low cost.

Last time I needed a part I ordered it from Grass Roots, they mailed the part to me for $0.98. Yes, the postage was less than a buck.

Way to go Grass Roots!

Same experience and I'm still waiting on my stuff. Another thing I was told (and it's proved evident) is if you have multiple items (as I do) and one of those items has a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG lead time, the ENTIRE order is delayed (unless you want to pay 2 shipping charges). I can't blame them for that, but buyer beware.

Their counter help that I called is very knowlegable and knew exactly what I needed, but folks are right. Their lower cost is likely the result of lite inventory.

I'll reserve final judgement when it (finally) arrives.

Regards,

Mike O

Ship in 7-10 days and we'll notify you if its back ordered. Yup, and here are a couple more: "The check is in the mail" and "We are with the Government and we're here to help."

You end up getting the monetary discount for lower (and less costly to the dealer) service levels. I just got my order from Sierra BMW on 5/8, after it was placed on 3/20.

My second order with Chicago was placed on 4/11, and I'm still waiting. One item.

But I order the stuff that I don't imminently need through these sources, appreciate the discount and acknowledge that shipment won't be expedited. For stuff I need RIGHT NOW I go to my local dealer and "pay the price".

Tom

I've used them a lot, and I've found the key is to pick up the phone.

They're on-line system, stock levels, notifications, etc. are not the best, but I've always found when I get them on the phone they responsive in telling you your order status, doing a partial shipment if you want, etc.

As mentioned, they are the only discount parts game because of their low overhead system.

Oh, did I mention pick up the phone and call them?

(It would have been faster and more effective than typing a complaint in a forum on the Internet!)

I've been waiting about 4 weeks for some cam chain tensioner parts; I called last week and was told they would go out in a couple of days, but haven't seen them yet. They do have a place on their message forum for order information, but they have not replied to anyone for a long time.

I guess if they have inventory you get a quick result, on backorders you don't receive any real info.

Stan Walker

Another user who has learned to live with their 'slowness'. It's a fact. They used to be faster but BMW clamped down on their 'rush' ordering (at least that's the story I heard).

I use Chicago all the time, but I plan ahead and place my orders early.

Good folks, 20% is worth a bit of planning in my opinion.

Stan

I've been waiting about 4 weeks for some cam chain tensioner parts
There's somewhat of a rush on these things right now, I think for this particular item you will experience a delay no matter whom you order from.

I've always dealt with Hammersley BMW in VA. If they don't have it they still seem to get it fast then ship it to me fast. The longest I ever had to wait for parts was ten days including a weekend and that was for my rare K1!

You might want to check them out next time you order.

What a coincidence, I ordered clutch parts for my RT on 4/18, judging by when they hit my credit card, they should arrive today or tomorrow [5/11 or 12]. They always give an ETA of around two weeks, but typically take much longer. It's the price you pay for the discount, so I guess it's worth it. But it helps to anticipate and order way in advance, like with maintenance parts. Although I knew my clutch was getting thin and could have ordered that sooner than I did.

steve.foote

I buy a good bit of stuff from Chicago BMW, and it usually takes a couple of weeks to get it. My feeling is plan ahead and save some money.

Like Ken and others have said, call them directly.

I agree that they are more of a parts broker than a parts supplier. Just about all orders I had placed in the past were in the 10 days to ship area, that was fine and for the break on price I was willing to wait.

About 2 years ago, I called and ask about a Front Master Cylinder brake kit and was told they would not recommend one, so I ordered a complete Master cylinders, two days later while in Atlanta I went by Blue Moon and the sold me a kit that they knew worked (and it did) at a big cost savings.

I called ChiBMW and ask to cancel the order that they would not ship for another 8 -12 days and they stuck me for a restocking fee. I have not done business with them since. They offer the discount but don't stock the parts...great if you have the time....I didn't appreciate getting stuck for the restocking fee. I know that they will not miss my business and that was pretty much their attitude also.

You guys want me to bring them some warm - right out of the oven - chocolate chip cookies? "While I'm here can you expedite Invoice # ..." grin.gif

Stan Walker

I called ChiBMW and ask to cancel the order that they would not ship for another 8 -12 days and they stuck me for a restocking fee.

Sounds fair to me as Chicago had probably already ordered it from BMW. You are the one who backed out of the deal, not them, but they are stuck with the part or have to send it back to BMW to be restocked there.

Stan

Stan Walker

You guys want me to bring them some warm - right out of the oven - chocolate chip cookies?

Just send them this way PB, I'll make sure they get taken care of... smile.gif

Stan

If you could see how disorganized they are you would understand. It's a wonder they get anything right. They lose parts all the time.

Yeah, I lpaced an order around April 1 online, called them to followup on it, they said they were ordering and would have it in a week or so. Still waiting. Have sent a couple emails to inquire with no response.

RichEdwards

I agree with others here: Order by phone, not online.

By the way, my local dealer occasionally says things like: "The oil filter for your GS is $15.50." Translated into Wallet-English that means, "Call Chicago BMW and get it for nine bucks and change." tongue.gif

I called ChiBMW and ask to cancel the order that they would not ship for another 8 -12 days and they stuck me for a restocking fee.

Sounds fair to me as Chicago had probably already ordered it from BMW. You are the one who backed out of the deal, not them, but they are stuck with the part or have to send it back to BMW to be restocked there.

Stan,

You probably know a lot more about parts than me however, my guess is that they sold it for full value and did not send it back, provided that it had actually been ordered.

So, while you are right and I backed out of the deal based on their (and my) lack of knowledge, Blue Moon folks had the cheaper answer, I expected a more customer friendly response. I still saved money by not buying the entire master cylinder, the kit did the job, and they made more money probably, getting a restocking fee on top of the full price later...is that a win win?

To quote a famous comedian:

"All this is information I could have used YESTERDAY!!!" dopeslap.gif

You would think they should have enough consideration for their customers to put this info on their website before you place the order.

DR

I ordered from Chicago BMW recently (haven't received order yet) and I knew from the information when ordering that they specified something like 10 - 14 days to ship and it's not a rush item for me so I'm not worried.

BUT, when it comes to web sites theirs is so bad it's amazing they sell anything via the web. I've ordered various items from a number of sources but if Chicago BMW's site was better I'm sure I'd have ordered more due to their prices. I think I could solve a Rubic's cube faster than finding most parts on their site. dopeslap.gif

Yep..... nothin is for free. You gotta take the wait for the discount offered on their parts. I've waited three weeks + for stuff. But it is worth the wait..... as long as it's not life or death.

Also, it's not like your local dealer is likely to have what you need in stock either, unless it's a very common item. You're going to wait either way, although local ordering does save the shipping time from Chicago (if you even have a convenient local dealer, that is... not a sure bet in the BMW world.)

steveknapp

Weird, that used to be one of their features. I've had other dealers tell me 2-3 weeks. ChiBMW had it in 2-3 days.

Archived